Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: iriver H120 info  (Read 4247 times)

Offline mmadd29

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I've stopped drinking, but only while I'm asleep
iriver H120 info
« on: January 19, 2007, 12:10:05 PM »
I just bought a H120, 20GB iriver on ebay for $66       ;D

It only comes with the h120, no adapter, remote, software, etc

My question is can I use a standard universal adapter or do I need the iriver adapter.  There are a ton on ebay for $10 or so.

I don't think I need the remote, as I never use it on my JB3.  Is there a reason to get a remote, and what else do I want with this unit.

I am going to enter the stealth world and will use this as the recorded because of its size.
Superlux CM-H8K > UA5 > iriver h120 > Wave Labs > EAC

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: iriver H120 info
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 12:12:39 PM »
That is rediculously cheap.  Hope it works well for ya. 

If the voltage and polarity are the same you can use any adapter.  If you don't think you can figure it out then buy the $10 ebay one 
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline mmadd29

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 12:16:19 PM »
That is rediculously cheap.  Hope it works well for ya. 

If the voltage and polarity are the same you can use any adapter.  If you don't think you can figure it out then buy the $10 ebay one 

Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HOME-Charger-Power-adapter-FOR-iRiver-iGP-100-H120-H140_W0QQitemZ130069979521QQihZ003QQcategoryZ86541QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Does this look correct?  It's not price I'm after but quality and the correct adapter.

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 12:19:49 PM »
That does look like the right piece.  you might want to check gomadic.com, as they have all types of power adapters....

Offline mmadd29

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 12:22:54 PM »
That does look like the right piece.  you might want to check gomadic.com, as they have all types of power adapters....

This one looks much better, so I bought it only $12 with ship and insurance:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=005&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=150083164980&rd=1&rd=1

Offline mmadd29

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 12:26:34 PM »
Ok....time for stupid question....is there a website, (like for the JB3), that I can download firmware, drivers, etc??

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 12:34:24 PM »
go to rockbox.org

screw the iriver firmware, get the latest rockbox....

Offline cgrooves

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Get On the Bus -Busman Audio
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 12:39:44 PM »
Ok....time for stupid question....is there a website, (like for the JB3), that I can download firmware, drivers, etc??

Great price....if the hdd is in good shape.  Even if you have to purchase a new hdd you will end up with a great recorder for a good price.

I would make sure the latest iRiver firmware is on there so that you will be able to format the hdd from the iRiver menu instead of trying to use windows.  It can be downloaded from the iRiver website (version 1.66 U, if I'm not mistaken).  After upgrading the firmware and performing a fresh format of the hdd, I would rockbox it and put it to use.

Check out the FAQ thread in this board that Whatboutbob so kindly put together:  http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,64277.0.html

That should answer 99% of the questions you may have.
AUDIO:
Open:  Busman Audio BSC1-(K1/K2/K3/K4) > Fostex FR-2LE (Busman T Mod) 

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 06:41:35 PM »
Buy it now or sometimes when they don't come with things like the remote...they can end up being $70-80.

If you plan to stealth, madd, you really need the remote for discreet level checking.  This is where it really excells, you can dial the levels in on the money without wasting bits (too low) or oversaturating (too high).  Also, you can look at the levels without dropping your head (causing phasing or high freq drop, if you wear your mics on your head).  And another thing, you can start your recording with the remote...thereby reducing you chances for getting busted even more.  Ah, never mind...you'll figure it all out when you play with it a while.....just make sure you rockbox the thing!

Offline mmadd29

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 07:10:20 PM »
Buy it now or sometimes when they don't come with things like the remote...they can end up being $70-80.

If you plan to stealth, madd, you really need the remote for discreet level checking.  This is where it really excells, you can dial the levels in on the money without wasting bits (too low) or oversaturating (too high).  Also, you can look at the levels without dropping your head (causing phasing or high freq drop, if you wear your mics on your head).  And another thing, you can start your recording with the remote...thereby reducing you chances for getting busted even more.  Ah, never mind...you'll figure it all out when you play with it a while.....just make sure you rockbox the thing!

OK, here is the update.  The iriver came DOA, so I sent it back.  The seller sent me an UPS label and said they will refund.  No reason to believe that won't happen.  So.........now I'm looking at irivers that have everything...I'm to the point of obessession so I will bid whatever it takes to get one.  I've decided I must have one.

Thanks for all the suggestions...I have already downloaded the Rockbox software, went thru installation, and already patched the firmware...so all I need is an Iriver............

Offline Arni99

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2007, 05:43:34 AM »

using rockbox with AGC-safety-clip you don´t need to use the remote for checking levels.
set max. internal gain to +20dB with AGC-safety-clip, connect your mics+battery-box to the line in, start the recording, press the hold button and enjoy the show ;).
AGC-safety-clip only decreases levels BUT NEVER increases them during silent periods.
Thats exactly what we were used to do when checking levels by hand.

I made some great recordings with the upper setting in the last month.

I record in wavpack(lossless like FLAC) which makes about 5 hours recording in 1 file(2GB) until a new file starts without a gap ;).
so as soon as i´m inside the venue, i go to the toilet..start my iriver, no matter if the show starts in 10 minutes or 2 hours ;) and after the show on my way home, i stop the recording. taping was never easier ....thx to the rockbox developers for their great efforts!  ;D

« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 05:50:51 AM by Arni99 »
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2007, 02:18:15 PM »
using rockbox with AGC-safety-clip you don´t need to use the remote for checking levels.
set max. internal gain to +20dB with AGC-safety-clip, connect your mics+battery-box to the line in, start the recording, press the hold button and enjoy the show ;).
AGC-safety-clip only decreases levels BUT NEVER increases them during silent periods.

The AGC does not compress or alter the original sound in any way?  How does it know what to 'clip out'?

I record in wavpack(lossless like FLAC) which makes about 5 hours recording in 1 file(2GB) until a new file starts without a gap ;).
so as soon as i´m inside the venue, i go to the toilet..start my iriver, no matter if the show starts in 10 minutes or 2 hours ;) and after the show on my way home, i stop the recording. taping was never easier ....thx to the rockbox developers for their great efforts!  ;D

Is the 'wavpack' part of the RockBox firmware?  I would think that a clean 20gb hard drive, with 20 hours of record time would be fine to just record to the hard drive as WAV and then compress in post?

Just asking and curious, thanks!

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
  • wtb: time
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2007, 03:27:45 AM »

The AGC does not compress or alter the original sound in any way?  How does it know what to 'clip out'?

AGC in safety mode only adjusts the GAIN downwards, it does not alter the sound otherwise in any way.

Personally I try to set the levels as good as I can and only have the agc-safety for emergency. AGC in its safety setting will start lowering gain when the signal gets above -3dB (iirc). So if there's a sudden loud peak or your levels are too high, the first part of your recording will still clip. Chances are that this happens before the gig starts though (audience noise, bumping into mic,...)

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2007, 07:26:13 AM »
yes, wavpack is part of the rockboxfirmware.
I use the latest(January 7th 2007) REP.."recording enhancement pack" from www.rockbox.org in the forum/recording/REP section. in the 1st post you can find the "REP" in Mmmm`s signature.
just download and extract to your iriver´s root folder ;) .

WAV (1411kbit/s) =>3h23min (2GB)
WAVPACK (900kbit/s) lossless compression => 4h55min (2GB)
AIFF (havent checked yet the apple recording codec) ;)
MP3 (bitrates up to 320kbit/s)

are the rockbox-recording-formats

« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 07:28:33 AM by Arni99 »
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.194 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com