Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: NT Technology Blows  (Read 3115 times)

kskreider

• Trade Count: (0)
NT Technology Blows
« on: May 10, 2004, 02:48:22 PM »
As someone who recently switched from being a long time WIN98SE user to WIN2K I gotta say that I currently think that NT Technology blows arse.  I have had nothing but trouble from using WIN2K and it just keeps piling on.  After losing access to 80GB of data on my slave hdd, now I get a BSOD nearly every time I click 'send' on an e-mail reply.  

If one more person tells me, "Oh, I felt the same way until I had 2000/XP for a few months, so hang in there." then I'm gonna smack someone in the grill.   :P

Fug Bill Gates.  

By the way, I found a couple of really schweet apps that allow me to access data on my smoked hd.  The first that I used successfully was PC Inspector File Recovery, which worked OK, but was time-consuming.  (it took about 3 hours to scan the 80GB hdd for logical drives)  I found that I could transfer a couple of SHN or FLAC shows and it'd give me an error that'd force me to reboot.  (another 3-hour re-scan)

I just installed a product called Stellar Phoenix that not only is less time consuming, it gives me access to the data on the lost hdd.  ALL OF THE DATA!  YES, this includes stuff I deleted from the hd a month before all of this went down.  Very highly recommended product.

Just an FYI...Kk

Offline RRobar

• Mac Design Geek
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "It's allgood ....brah!"
    • Headway Graphixx
Re:NT Technology Blows
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2004, 04:15:24 PM »
Sounds like it's time to start thking of picking up a mac ;D

Sorry I had to.
Need Graphic Design Work? Goto http://www.headwaygraphixx.com

jpschust

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2004, 04:17:56 PM »
go team mac!

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2004, 04:30:15 PM »
Yay team mac! ;D

But seriously, did you do a full wipe of the drive before installing 2K?  Or did you do an upgrade install?  Cuz if you did the latter, you're in for more headaches than you can handle.  I'd wipe a drive and do a fresh install...
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2004, 07:34:53 PM »
never had any issues with win2k and i have it running on many different levels oh HW. I would say that it is the best windows platform to run.

If it is an upgrade I would blow the whole thing out as mentioned above and do a fresh install of the OS.

What kind of HW are you trying to install this on ? if you were running windows 98SE it could be an issue
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline RRobar

• Mac Design Geek
  • "It's allgood ....brah!"
    • Headway Graphixx
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2004, 08:35:15 AM »
http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=17237

No, not an upgrade but I did try that first before wiping it's ass clean.

Let's face it, it may be time to move on to Apple or Unix.

Now if those platforms could just get the software support that Gates does.

Unless your playing a ton of games. You can get just about anything as a mac version. I run Office X (as well as Apple works, which will open and create  any file Office uses). The audio software is there and as a formr windows user, there is no comparison of Windows to OSX. OSX works like I think and for the most part is completely intuitive. I'm now looking for another mac for my son Ben to use. he is 3 and has just about mastered Windows. Time to move him up ;D
Need Graphic Design Work? Goto http://www.headwaygraphixx.com

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2004, 09:09:54 PM »
Never had any issues with 2k, xp is a different story though...
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2004, 09:19:41 AM »
linux rules your face. dual boot that fucker and only drop in to windows when you need to.

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2004, 09:28:09 AM »
linux rules your face. dual boot that fucker and only drop in to windows when you need to.

can you link me in the direction of a how to and/or grub program?

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2004, 11:27:29 PM »
whatcha mean, grub program schwilly?

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2004, 11:36:38 PM »
I mean, how do I dual boot?

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2004, 10:40:57 PM »
oh. i think if your machine already has a windows partition covering the whole disc, you'll pretty much have to start over. or use partition magic to repartition it.

then, you just make two partitions on disk, and only format one. put windows on it. then when you are installing linux, tell it to install on the unused partition. it will format the partition for linux, and install a prog called LILO in your master boot record. then when you boot the machine it will bring up a menu and you can choose which OS you want to start.

another option is a cd-based linux distro like Knop[pix, which doesn't require a linux partition... or use a linux install that can reside in a sector of the windows partition.. i forget what that method is called, but most distros support it....

easiest method would probably be to add another drive for linux, install on it, and install LILO in the MBR and dual-boot that way. i recommend mandrake linux for newbies, it's the most winows-like in its installer, and certainly comes with most of the apps you will need. you can download the install CDs via BitTorrent too.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.115 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com