Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How much advice do you give?  (Read 6395 times)

Offline mrfender

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
How much advice do you give?
« on: August 14, 2019, 06:25:31 AM »
 So I recently posted a show on Dime and recieved a message from another member on getting equipment into the venue.  He's been a member for about a year, says he's been out for a while and was asking how to deal with the walk-throughs.  He has posted a couple of shows from the 90s, has downloaded 650 megs of shows and his message indicates that he does know about equipment/recording so he seems ligit but.....

I've never been asked, not having been at this relatively long compared to most people here but how much do you specifically share, even in a PM?  Do you directly say "here's how I handle the recorder and here's what I do with the mics" or do you just stick to dropping hints ( however strong they may be)?
DR2d, DR-05, DR-22wl, DR-40, DR-44wl, DR-608, PCM-M10, Roland R-07, PCM, PCM-A10
CA-14 card/omni, AT853 cards/omni, Nak CM-300 cards/omni, Line Audio CM4

Offline opsopcopolis

• Needs to get out more...
Re: How much advice do you give?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 07:43:07 AM »
Usually I’ll just tell them. I’m really not worried about being singled out. The annoying security dude here thinks he’s really smart, but the info we could give him won’t help catch anybody

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 09:30:19 AM »
I only go into details with people I know to be legit.  That said, this isn't rocket science.  Anyone who put their mind to it could figure it out.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline mrfender

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 10:44:42 AM »
I only go into details with people I know to be legit.  That said, this isn't rocket science.  Anyone who put their mind to it could figure it out.

That's how I came up with my current methods and I'm surely not a rocket scientist.  Just trying be helpful to others.
DR2d, DR-05, DR-22wl, DR-40, DR-44wl, DR-608, PCM-M10, Roland R-07, PCM, PCM-A10
CA-14 card/omni, AT853 cards/omni, Nak CM-300 cards/omni, Line Audio CM4

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 11:10:02 AM »

+1

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 12:06:25 AM »
What Daspy said
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

ThePiedPiper

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 03:27:37 AM »
The creativity is endless, as there's no definitive way. You just find what works for you and what your comfortable with. Getting in is the easy part, avoiding the talking drunks is the real challenge. LOL.

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 07:56:18 AM »

+1

+1
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 11:17:46 AM »
The creativity is endless, as there's no definitive way. You just find what works for you and what your comfortable with. Getting in is the easy part, avoiding the talking drunks is the real challenge. LOL.

👍
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline yousef

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 02:00:16 PM »
I hope somebody lets me in on the big stealth secret one day - having relied on common sense and the absolutely bloody obvious for nearly 20 years I fear my luck may soon run out...
music>other stuff>ears
my recordings: http://db.etree.org/yousef
http://www.manchestertaper.co.uk
twitter: @manchestertaper

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2019, 02:18:48 PM »

Offline opsopcopolis

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2019, 03:54:56 PM »
I hope somebody lets me in on the big stealth secret one day - having relied on common sense and the absolutely bloody obvious for nearly 20 years I fear my luck may soon run out...

Every once in a while I wonder when I'll get caught for the first time and how it'll happen. My guess would be nosy neighbor

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2019, 04:05:56 PM »

Every once in a while I wonder when I'll get caught for the first time and how it'll happen. My guess would be nosy neighbor
Yep, nosy neighbor is always the problem.Whether stealth or semi open or fully open, expect someone to start asking questions, often with an angry tone.Simpler to just hide the mics.Alternately, put the mics right at the soundboard, or on the stage (if artists allow).

Funny noone wants to pay for music, but then they freak out when they think you are "stealing" it.
LOL.

Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline hoserama

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2019, 12:22:54 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=532j-186xEQ

Works every time.

That's easily my favorite method.

Walk right around the metal detectors and into the show.
Audio: Countryman B3 + AT853(hypers/cards/subcards) + SBD feeds
Wireless Receivers: Lots of those
Antennas: Lots of those
Cables: Lots of those
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2019, 11:53:02 AM »

Yep, nosy neighbor is always the problem.Whether stealth or semi open or fully open, expect someone to start asking questions, often with an angry tone.Simpler to just hide the mics.Alternately, put the mics right at the soundboard, or on the stage (if artists allow).

Funny noone wants to pay for music, but then they freak out when they think you are "stealing" it.
LOL.

I think this happened the only time I got popped, at Ryan Adams. I know I wasn't seen from stage I was 40' away in the front row of the balcony. I can totally see an Adams fan get their panties in a bunch for stealing his music.🙄
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.119 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com