Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony's new $600 recorder PCM-D50 PT II  (Read 101110 times)

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spare some change and testify!
Re: Sony's new $600 recorder PCM-D50 PT II
« Reply #210 on: March 01, 2009, 05:17:44 PM »
Have not done any "scientific" testing with my PCM-D50 but I can anecdotally say you can get way more than you think out of those 4 AA and the PCM-D50 regardless of the source.  I never even bother to turn off the lights unless I am stealth.  This thing will run forever on the 4 AA's.
It seems to me what you lose in mystery, you gain in awe.  Sir Francis Crick

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My cd List
« Reply #211 on: March 10, 2009, 10:38:48 AM »
I just wanted to comment on how pleased I am with this thing. The V3 doesn't add that much more - this thing sounds awesome line in.

But the huge advantage is the battery life - absolutely amazing. I recorded almost 11 hours this weekend (phish Hampton) + transferred all files twice, the second time falling asleep and leaving it hooked up by USB overnight - all on ONE set of AAs and it still shows 3/4 full! I use to worry about battery life with my 702, but this thing is a champ. Absolutely killer recorder. IMHO the best of all worlds. If I could, I'd buy another 702 in addition to this, but if I could have only one, this will definitely be it.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #212 on: March 10, 2009, 11:22:24 AM »
I love the battery life as well. It's just nice not having to change out/recharge batteries for every concert.  The D50 isn't a power hog, far from it.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline spcyrfc

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live from River City
    • BordersCrossing.net
« Reply #213 on: March 10, 2009, 04:47:10 PM »
mp2>d-50 is a killer combo for battery life. ive got an external hooked up to the mp2 and it's life is most likely longer than the d50.  record all day on a single charge.  wonder what the future of battery powered machines will hold

mkh8040>aerco mp-2>pcmd-50
PFS: AKG 414xls

Record Local

www.borderscrossing.net

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #214 on: April 08, 2009, 02:42:17 AM »
Another great thing about the D50 is the "standby" mode.  I can leave it on for days at a time, then hit record and go.  With the remote it is great for capturing ambient sounds.  Just leave it running and "divide" whenever something interesting happens.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spare some change and testify!
« Reply #215 on: April 08, 2009, 07:28:05 AM »
Has the price of the remote dropped any?  It was spendy the last time I looked.  Do you find it worth the price?
It seems to me what you lose in mystery, you gain in awe.  Sir Francis Crick

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #216 on: April 08, 2009, 11:29:55 PM »
Has the price of the remote dropped any?  It was spendy the last time I looked.  Do you find it worth the price?
It was $60CAD, so probably something like $50USD.  It *may* come with the unit in some deals, if so, grab it.

It is not the greatest.  My Sony minidisc has an excellent remote, with meters and backlight even.  This just has four buttons, rec, pause, stop and divide.  And one (red) led to show it is recording.  So you've got to get the levels ahead of time.  But with levels OK, I love it.  Standby mode is what I really like...

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline jeffee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #217 on: April 25, 2009, 03:37:17 PM »
What is the better memory stick to use with the PCM-D50 -- the pro duo HG, or, the pro duo HG HX?  I'm most concerned with reliability and transfer speed.  Thanks in advance! 

My first post;  Thanks for a great forum!

edit: By transfer speed, I mean transferring wav's to my computer via USB. 
I'm not sure what the difference is between these two memory sticks is anyway ..
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 04:02:18 PM by jeffee »

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #218 on: April 25, 2009, 06:32:23 PM »
What is the better memory stick... <snip>

Welcome to TS!  You may get a better response if you post a dedicated thread in the Recording Media forum.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #219 on: April 27, 2009, 10:55:16 AM »
Hope I´ll get my PCM-D50 in a few days..."Cindy Blackman Group" plays at my local club in Vienna next Monday :).

Here in Europe the price is 589 Euro ...got mine for 539 + 17 shipping.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 10:57:07 AM by Arni99 »
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline brianp

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Shows I've taped on LMA
« Reply #220 on: May 14, 2009, 02:08:34 PM »
Out of the blue my light stopped working and I can only scroll down in the menu settings. I wonder if there is a way to restore the D50 back to the factory settings? Frustrating but it still works like a champ.

I also accidently knocked my D50 off of my gear bag and in to an almost full cup of ice water while recording a few weekends ago. It was submerged in the ice water about a 1/4 of the way down when I grabbed it. Everything came out fine and the recording wasn't affected. There was a little bit of water in the battery cage but other than that I think the internal mechanics stayed dry. Note, this happened a few days after the light and menu scrolling stopped working, so the water incident didn't cause that stuff to happen.
SBD>MR>C>D>CD>EAC>SHN

Offline spcyrfc

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live from River City
    • BordersCrossing.net
« Reply #221 on: May 14, 2009, 07:49:59 PM »
Out of the blue my light stopped working and I can only scroll down in the menu settings. I wonder if there is a way to restore the D50 back to the factory settings? Frustrating but it still works like a champ.

I also accidently knocked my D50 off of my gear bag and in to an almost full cup of ice water while recording a few weekends ago. It was submerged in the ice water about a 1/4 of the way down when I grabbed it. Everything came out fine and the recording wasn't affected. There was a little bit of water in the battery cage but other than that I think the internal mechanics stayed dry. Note, this happened a few days after the light and menu scrolling stopped working, so the water incident didn't cause that stuff to happen.

so it's water proof to. many sony really pulled out the stops on this one ;D
i cant seem to find a restore to factory settings, but i'd be surprised if there was not one. might be worth a call.

how are people feeling about unity gain?  saw that thread down there.  3-4? is there a way to determine properly and exactly? keep that in its own thread.  good stuff.

mkh8040>aerco mp-2>pcmd-50
PFS: AKG 414xls

Record Local

www.borderscrossing.net

Offline 612

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Minneapolis, MN
« Reply #222 on: July 22, 2009, 05:17:21 PM »
I was curious if anyone has had any dealings with novamusik out of Milwaukee in getting their D50? $449.00 with Free Shipping & a Full Warranty from an "authorized dealer" sounds like a pretty good deal?

...someone push me over the edge! I'm close.
Empty's Tapes & My recordings on the LMA

"Keep active, stay positive..." - a wise man

Offline notsofast

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #223 on: July 23, 2009, 03:08:04 PM »
I just ordered my PCM-D50 yesterday, based on the power usage, being a fine bit bucket and just pure Sony sluttiness. It should be here next week. I got it from BH, price was not great but got free shipping and the Sony windscreen.

I like the self contained aspect and the option to use it as such, will be rare but Hardly Strickly Bluegrass is October. Going forward as funds become available a V3 and new mics. Ah sluttiness, she a fickle lass but delivers.

Next step matrix pulls with my FR2LE....

Tim 2.0
"Please post the show - I don't think it sucked, which is my normal rule for show postings" Dave Alvin

Offline tekdroid

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #224 on: July 23, 2009, 11:59:33 PM »
I just ordered my PCM-D50 yesterday, based on the power usage, being a fine bit bucket and just pure Sony sluttiness.

That's what we like to hear!
The price aspect will fade into nothingness once you start using it (and I thought B&H were quite competitive, incidentally).

Enjoy your new machine, I am sure you will love it. The windscreen is not worth $50 but if they bundle it, why not. You will receive a grey drawstring pouch with the windscreen too. It's handy to keep the unit away from dust. Have fun.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.388 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com