Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: need to make a music video - advice?  (Read 1904 times)

jnorman34

• Trade Count: (0)
need to make a music video - advice?
« on: December 07, 2008, 03:51:12 PM »
hiya - i need to make a music video for a local duo. audio will be recorded separately and synced during post. the video will combine some outdoor, landscape type scenes with indoor music performance scenes. i need to get a camera capable of HD video at 24 or 30fps, with the ability to zoom during shooting.

i have an FX100 which i love, but HD is only 15fps and it cannot zoom during video.

1. which compact has these capabilities?

2. how will the HD video from a compact compare to a dedicated HD video camera?

3. what software would you choose to edit and compile a video like this?

thanks.

Offline jkmb

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: need to make a music video - advice?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 06:31:25 AM »
I hope I understand what you are asking.  You want to shoot a multi-cam video with 2 compact “point and shoot” cameras or non-traditional video cameras and you currently own a Panasonic DMC-FX100?

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the reason you only can achieve 15fps video and a corresponding lack of zoom is because of the sensor size.  You need all the light your sensor can get, and it takes it longer time (less frames) than 30fps to get “it”.

Even with a currently less than $4000 larger sensor(s) HD dedicated video camera in lower light, there is a “need/desire” to manually crank down the frame rate to achieve a “less” muddy picture.

So :

1)   None (30fps compact point and shoot - yet)
2)   Not so good (yet)
3)   Most people here use Sony Vegas and some use Final Cut

You could do it with 2 Panasonic DMC-FX100s.

Do you have to use a compact point and shoot?

What is your budget?  Can you control the indoor light?  What format will the final product be delivered?  (DVD, Blu-Ray, web/youtube)

jnorman34

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 06:24:53 PM »
thanks jkmb - thats about right.  2 P&S cams, or my fx100 plus maybe an Aiptek or sanyo Xacti HD camcorder.  i have an older canon mini DV camcorder, but my little panny in 720 mode blows it away, so i want to work in HD (720).

the comment about sensor size confuses me a bit - my panny has a 1/1.7" sensor, while most video cams, even $1000 HD ones, are only like 1/3" sensors (some have 3 - 1/5" sensors).  are you saying the larger sensor is a problem?  the new version, the FX150 will do 720 at 24fps. 

Offline jkmb

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 06:33:31 AM »
You have to be right, I guess the frame rate is limited by the write process.  The convergence of the technologies is amazing.  My older 7mp point and shoot takes terrible video.

You may want to verify that you will be able to import your video in to what ever editor you decide to go with.

Would love to see your final product!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com