Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: nak mx-100 battery  (Read 3305 times)

Offline admkrk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
nak mx-100 battery
« on: May 09, 2004, 11:45:36 PM »
i found this to run a mx-100 on batts.

http://computorney.com/nak/MX-100_Power_Pack_Ad.jpg

my question is, why can't you just wire the batt box to plug into the regular power plug? is there any reason this wouldn't work? i don't see the need to run a pig tail out of the box and wouldn't know how to wire inside either.

a big thanks, in advance to anyone who can shed some light.

kirk
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline LeftoverSammy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • MG's FUCKIN' A!!
Re:nak mx-100 battery
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2004, 03:47:53 PM »
Hey THATS my MX-100!! The reason I did this is that the 4pin DINN connectors can be difficult to find that plug into the back of the mixer, so I opened up the mixer and "hard wired" a seperate power cable to the internal leads of the DINN connector, and interface that with the dual 9V packs as shown. The two 9V cells are wired in a specifc manner so let mek know if you need to see the circuit diagram. Its very strainght forward and not at all tough to build if you are handy soldering and making cables and such.

If you are lucky enough to have the original 4pin DINN power cable or can find the exact fit you can just "plug into" the back of the mixer and attach the other end to a home brew power pack to power the damn thing. I have done both for my mixer so I can replace a pack without turning it off to replace a pack before itshits the bed. But originally I did it because I didn't have the power cable first hand but found one over time.

Hope this helps! Oh by the way I made that slide because about a year and half ago i use to get folks asking me to build these or mod their units, so I made a slide showing my work. I got tired of saying the same old thing and sending pix, so someone posted this on one of the Nak pages out there. I think the schematic is also there that I drew up from the original Nak tech schematic Matt Hiles passed onto me.

Hope this helps!
Have fun!

LoS  :fish:
Microtech Gefell SMS2000's (M20 & M21 caps) > Luminous Audio Monarch II's or Audio Magic Silvers > MixPre 3
Grace Designs V3
Marantz PMD661
Core Sound Stealthy Cardiod mics > Battbox> Tascam DR-7

Former Nak CM300 & CM700 Vet (CP1, CP2, CP3 & CP4 caps), MX-100

Its 420.....24/7.....365!! :-)

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2004, 06:32:57 PM »
thanks boss,
  after looking for the right plug, that was the only reason i could come up with for the pigtail. haven't started looking for the corect plug yet though, but it looks like that's going to take some searching. don't want to canibalize the power supply, but if i can't find the right plug, might try puting in a "union" useing the rs plugs so ill be able to use both.

yes, they have the schematic there too. i guess i just didn't look at it close enough untill i noticed the diferent plugs.

and thanks for lmk i was on the right track w/ this, that helps alot.

kirk

Offline Mark

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2004, 07:58:25 AM »
Kirk -

I used Sammy's advice and photos to wire up my MX100 which now belongs to Jimmc.  I was able to easily find the 4pin DIN connector to attach to the back of the MX100 at my local electronics store (www.unicornelectronics.com)  Doing it with the connector versus hard wiring has it's advantages as well as disadvantages.

1.  ADV - You can unplug it when not in use and makes it easier for transport.

2.  ADV - No "hacking" to the original box.

3.  DIS - The connector was not a mega-tight fit.  I lost power for milliseconds while taping when I was adjusting my gear.  The plug "wiggled" and my tape has spots where there is nothing or strong static.  Once I had my gear in place, all was good.  Be careful is all I am saying.  Your plug might be better than mine.  

Jimmc has taped with that MX100 quite a bit, and uses a new power cable that I wired up for him.  We made the cable as short as possible to avoid this.  I doubt he runs the MX100 in an upright position (pots facing sky) since the power cable would then be taking the weight of the MX100.  I always ran it flat to avoid my connector issue.

The MX100 is a great unit!  Enjoy it!

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2004, 05:41:30 PM »
  thanks for the link.

"The connector was not a mega-tight fit."

i was woundering if i was going to have this problem, once i figured it out and sammy confermed it. thought it sounded kinda sonyish. i've got till july to straighten it out, so i've plenty of time yet.

thanks,                  kirk

Offline LeftoverSammy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • MG's FUCKIN' A!!
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2004, 11:54:24 AM »
Another advantage of having the MX-100 hard wired is that if you can find the DINN plug and make seconddary power cable you have 2 methods of delivering power to the MX-100, so you could switch power packs while running the unit to avoid having it shut down.

Of course you can also pigtail the DINN connector so it has the ability to attach 2 power packs. (like I did when I had my UA-5)

I second Mark. For the $ is a great little mixer (although heavy as shit). Also you may want to clean the gain pots...they can be rather static soundig sometimes due to age. Any electrical supply store has pot cleaning spray that works great.

LoS  :fish:
Microtech Gefell SMS2000's (M20 & M21 caps) > Luminous Audio Monarch II's or Audio Magic Silvers > MixPre 3
Grace Designs V3
Marantz PMD661
Core Sound Stealthy Cardiod mics > Battbox> Tascam DR-7

Former Nak CM300 & CM700 Vet (CP1, CP2, CP3 & CP4 caps), MX-100

Its 420.....24/7.....365!! :-)

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
Re: nak mx-100 battery
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2004, 09:45:49 PM »
hey sammy, or anyone else.
  i finally found the right plugs for this. just wondering if you can tell me if i have it right or did i wire it backasswards?:

of course the plug is backwards, i just want to double check that i don't have it wired backwards.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com