Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: All in one boxs (dvd, sacd, dvd-a, cd)  (Read 5544 times)

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stomach Full of Regret
All in one boxs (dvd, sacd, dvd-a, cd)
« on: July 07, 2003, 11:54:58 AM »
I'm looking around at options for all-in-one boxes that can handle dvd-a, sacd, dvd, cd, cd-r, dvd-r...i know a bit about the marantz boxes (dv-8300 and dv-8400), i know pioneer makes one and onkyo makes one...does phillips or sony?  anyone have any comments on these boxes performance?  thanks.

-damon

Offline VA_TAPER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • SPA AKG C33E->Hamptone HVTP2->Tascam DV-RA1000 DSD
Re:All in one boxs (dvd, sacd, dvd-a, cd)
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2003, 12:41:06 PM »
I have the Pioneer DV-45A, and bought it off eBay for $400.  I absolutly love it, great sounding converters for the price (better at 44.1khz than my Nakamichi CD, SACD through it rocks the house.  The DSOTM remaster is really wild at 115db!!!  I highly recommend this model.  

Previous CD source: Nakamichi OMS-5

peace, chris
My recordings and transfers at archive.org: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=berryman%20AND%20mediatype%3Aetree%20AND%20collection%3Aetree

“Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything.”  Joseph Stalin

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2003, 01:12:14 PM »
thanks for the recommendation, there are a bunch of new ones on ebay at just under 350...looks like a good value...have you had any problems with cd-r's or have you tried dvd-r's?

+t

-damon

Offline VA_TAPER

• Taperssection Member
  • SPA AKG C33E->Hamptone HVTP2->Tascam DV-RA1000 DSD
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2003, 01:39:46 PM »
I've used both CD-Rs and DVD-R with no problems ever.  

peace, chris
My recordings and transfers at archive.org: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=berryman%20AND%20mediatype%3Aetree%20AND%20collection%3Aetree

“Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything.”  Joseph Stalin

Offline sideshowbob

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2003, 04:27:33 PM »
Damon....The Marantz DV8300 is fantastic ;) The only reason I bought my McIntosh player is that I am a pathetic Mc whore...had to have it ::) Look into the Marantz if it fits the budget.....I know the U89's are on the horizon ;) Have fun!!!! Thanks.....Jason
"Music soothes the beast in a man"...Joseph Stalin

"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded."  Abraham Lincoln (Dec. 18, 1840, to Illinois House of Representatives)

Schoeps MK21/MK41/MK5/M222's>Elvo NT222's>Grace V3>SD 722

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2003, 04:45:55 PM »
anyone who sees your system knows your a pathetic mc whore 8)

I actually pulled the trigger on the Onkyo DV-SP800 today...It's specs compare nicely with the marantz 12bit/108Mhz video D/A, 24/192 music D/A's for DVD-A, s/n of 118 db...i think the marantz is a better overall box, but given that I got a pretty good deal on this one, i'm happy with it.  in between the pioneer and the marantz.  given that i've got various things on the horizon, this made the most sense.

-damon

Offline sideshowbob

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2003, 04:52:19 PM »
Damon....Nice choice ;D Enjoy the new machine!! When are the U89's being shipped ;) :P Thanks and +T for the new toy.....Jason

"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded."  Abraham Lincoln (Dec. 18, 1840, to Illinois House of Representatives)

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2003, 05:07:55 PM »
Ha...the u89's will be a little while, methinks...takes a little time to find em used and with our resident gear broker on sabbatical due to the birth of his daughter, i may have to do it on my own.  add that purchase to the SD HD recorder this fall for my high-res recording package.

Offline sideshowbob

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2003, 05:10:38 PM »
 :iamwithstupid:  ....Jason

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2003, 05:15:26 PM »
 :cheers:

Tim

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2003, 06:18:40 PM »
Trey was looking for me and I endedup finding them both myself... on ebay... being sold by studio's. I feel funny telling people I bought u89s from ebay!
[
quote author=dmonterisi link=board=19;threadid=4086;start=0#msg38201 date=1057612075]
Ha...the u89's will be a little while, methinks...takes a little time to find em used and with our resident gear broker on sabbatical due to the birth of his daughter, i may have to do it on my own.  add that purchase to the SD HD recorder this fall for my high-res recording package.

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2003, 06:33:50 PM »
i'm mostly being sarcastic about trey looking for em...i've got my feelers out there...tim, how often do other tapers actually sell these things?  i figure ebay is the way to go.

Tim

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2003, 06:39:16 PM »
not very often.. I've seen pairs of 170s up for grabs occassionaly, maybe once or twice a year (maybe). I don't know that I've ever seen a pair of u89s up for sale...

nice pickup btw - I've been wanting one of those boxes but I think I'm saving my scratch for one of those SD 24/96 recorders.... I guess I need to budget occassionaly

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2003, 06:52:39 PM »
i've seen more 170's than u89's...i like the sound of the u89's better though.  so i'll wait.  

i'm excited about the dvd player.  in addition to the dvd-a and sacd abilities, this is part of my movement away from DAT entirely (since my main home DAT died), probably gonna get discwelder steel soon so i can start doing some dvd-a, whether with small half-second gaps at acceptable points or with full sets laid down with no track breaks, which is how i archive my DATs as data on dvd that are worth archiving.  i figure this is just step 1 toward my 24>96 recording package of neumanns (either u89's or 140's + 50s)>v3>sd722>dvd-a...and i get to do sacd taboot.  not bad.  you can get one of these all in one boxes from about 325 up to 2000...a choice for all budgets.

Offline JeffK

• Taperssection Member
  • ...just a little split off center than the most
    • umphreaks!
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2003, 04:07:42 PM »
modwright.com also performs some mods to the 45a to make it sound better, apparently.  I haven't heard the unit yet, but I'm also thinkin about buying one... I mean for $350ish, at least you'll have another DVD player  :afro:

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.12 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com