Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Reaper users?  (Read 10395 times)

Offline BonoBeats

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Band- Funk Pocket
Re: Reaper users?
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2019, 06:24:39 PM »
My main DAW for the last several years, though I very rarely still use Audacity. 

I use two Stillwell plugins, chiefly- Vibe EQ, and Event Horizon clipper/limiter. Great combination. Occasionally, I'll use the 1973 (Neve 1073), but have been favoring Vibe as of late; similarly, I sometimes use their Major Tom compressor, though again, I've used Event Horizon considerably more, recently.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 04:47:40 PM by BonoBeats »
Now You See Me Telefunken M60 Masters/ADK Cremona 251>MixPre6
Now You Don't    Naiant XX or MS-TFB-2-MKII>SP-SB10>Roland R05

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Southern Shelter
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2019, 07:01:05 PM »
A lot of people will talk about a steep learning curve with Reaper.  I found it no more difficult to learn than any other DAW.  It is also frequently updated, and there are no arbitrary limitations such as track counts.  Whatever your hardware can handle, it will do.

I am no audio professional, but I am at the point that I can track and render an entire 2-hour concert in about 10 minutes using Reaper and SWS Extensions.  The longest part of my post work is spent in iZotope RX Spectral Denoise, as I record classical / acoustic in places with quiet audiences but loud HVAC.  I usually do global level adjustment there also, if needed.  Once I pop into Reaper, I can just fly through the editing.

Here's a thread from a couple years ago with some more helpful stuff:
taperssection.com/index.php?topic=174517.msg2199750

I take it you can output a folder of seamless WAVs? Last time I attempted song splits in Reaper I couldn't get rid of tiny gaps between the files, and have been using CDWave to split into songs after rendering a single WAV in Reaper. I'd love to be able to do it all in Reaper.

I'm not Voltronic, but mine render perfectly with no gaps using regions to split tracks. I simply insert markers to start each track and insert regions between them. Then go to File>Render and select the options in the screenshot below.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2019, 07:33:00 PM »
A lot of people will talk about a steep learning curve with Reaper.  I found it no more difficult to learn than any other DAW.  It is also frequently updated, and there are no arbitrary limitations such as track counts.  Whatever your hardware can handle, it will do.

I am no audio professional, but I am at the point that I can track and render an entire 2-hour concert in about 10 minutes using Reaper and SWS Extensions.  The longest part of my post work is spent in iZotope RX Spectral Denoise, as I record classical / acoustic in places with quiet audiences but loud HVAC.  I usually do global level adjustment there also, if needed.  Once I pop into Reaper, I can just fly through the editing.

I take it you can output a folder of seamless WAVs? Last time I attempted song splits in Reaper I couldn't get rid of tiny gaps between the files, and have been using CDWave to split into songs after rendering a single WAV in Reaper. I'd love to be able to do it all in Reaper.

I never had an issue with gaps, but did have an issue with tiny ticks being audible at the very ends of tracks.  This was several versions ago, and I remember at the time I was using the shortcut "z" to split at the closest zero crossing to cursor position, as opposed to "S" which splits at the cursor position no matter what.

I dont use the zero-crossing split anymore so I can reliably say if that was the problem or not.  All I know is that using the regular S track split, I get absolutely seamless track transitions.

One thing worth noting: by default, Reaper automatically inserts very rapid fades when a split is made.  If you zoom in you can see it, and drag to remove the fade, or lengthen it, change the curve, etc.  You can also turn off the auto-fade function in preferences.

I don't edit concerts like many of you do - I track out individual songs, with gradual fade out over about 6 seconds of applause.  Everything else gets deleted.  If you are doing a traditional "taper" concert edit, you may want to disable the behavior described above, and or use Z to split your tracks at the nearest zero-crossing.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Online voltronic

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2019, 07:43:36 PM »

I'm not Voltronic, but mine render perfectly with no gaps using regions to split tracks. I simply insert markers to start each track and insert regions between them. Then go to File>Render and select the options in the screenshot below.

That's pretty much what I do.

A couple things to save you more time though:

Make sure you are viewing your Marker List.  Then, convert all Markers to Regions.

Next, go through and delete all regions that are not something you want to keep.  For me, this is all the stuff between applause and the beginning of the next song.

Now select all of the Regions in the list, right-click, and Reorder Regions.

Once all that's done, in your Render window, you select Project Regions in the drop-down.  In the Track Name field select or type the following wildcards:

$regionnumber $region

Press Render, and you will have all your tracks that are already numbered and named for you.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2019, 09:48:36 PM »

That's pretty much what I do.

A couple things to save you more time though:

Make sure you are viewing your Marker List.  Then, convert all Markers to Regions.

Next, go through and delete all regions that are not something you want to keep.  For me, this is all the stuff between applause and the beginning of the next song.

Now select all of the Regions in the list, right-click, and Reorder Regions.

Once all that's done, in your Render window, you select Project Regions in the drop-down.  In the Track Name field select or type the following wildcards:

$regionnumber $region

Press Render, and you will have all your tracks that are already numbered and named for you.

Cool, thanks. I'll give it a try next time.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline kuba e

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2019, 04:21:45 AM »
When you are setting markers, keep the Grids lines enabled and Snap enabled - see icons in the top left corner. This way you can avoid sector boundaries error in rendered files. I am setting Grid lines (right click on the icon) to 1/8T to have smoother grids.

Online voltronic

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2019, 06:38:31 AM »
When you are setting markers, keep the Grids lines enabled and Snap enabled - see icons in the top left corner. This way you can avoid sector boundaries error in rendered files. I am setting Grid lines (right click on the icon) to 1/8T to have smoother grids.

Grid lines have absolutely nothing to do with sector boundaries.  It's a time and/or tempo grid; that's it.  Having both grid and snapping ON means you can only drop markers on grid lines.  This can get rather annoying if the place you need a marker is in-between.

Also, sector boundaries only matter if you are burning CDs.  You don't need to think about them otherwise. 

There is no automated way to render at sector boundaries from within Reaper I am aware of.

The only way you could possibly have the grid matter in terms of sector boundaries would be to set grid lines every 1/75 of a second.  I'm not confident that would be the equivalent of ticking the "sector align" options in FLAC frontend or TLH.

https://xiph.org/flac/documentation_tools_flac.html#flac_options_sector_align

In my experience, Snapping ON and Grid OFF is the way to go for concert editing.  You are then snapping easily to item boundaries, markers, etc., but the grid isn't getting in the way.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline kuba e

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2019, 08:22:36 AM »
So I made mistake. I was thinking that I read somewhere that to have this grid is safe to not have no sector boundaries error. It is very likely that I misunderstood the text. I am sorry for bad information.

I'm not good at math. Is it correct that the grid of 0.2 s will always be at the boundary sector?

Yes, boundary sectors are useful only when we are doing playback via cd. Some of my friends are still using it. I know that they have warned me about sector boundaries. But I've never asked if the grid setup helped. Now, I know the answer. On the other hand, I am using the grid 0.25s. It does not limit me when tracking. And sometimes it is helping me if there is unclear situation when mixing and editing multiple sources.

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2019, 07:32:23 PM »
Wow, not only does this work properly in the current version, I can export directly as FLAC and not even have to use TLH! Thanks again for the heads up folks.

Online voltronic

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2019, 08:08:54 PM »
So I made mistake. I was thinking that I read somewhere that to have this grid is safe to not have no sector boundaries error. It is very likely that I misunderstood the text. I am sorry for bad information.

I'm not good at math. Is it correct that the grid of 0.2 s will always be at the boundary sector?

Yes, boundary sectors are useful only when we are doing playback via cd. Some of my friends are still using it. I know that they have warned me about sector boundaries. But I've never asked if the grid setup helped. Now, I know the answer. On the other hand, I am using the grid 0.25s. It does not limit me when tracking. And sometimes it is helping me if there is unclear situation when mixing and editing multiple sources.

According to the link I posted earlier, Audio CD sectors are 1/75 or a second, or 0.01333333333 second according to my calculator.  Your grid would have to be a multiple of that number.

0.2 s comes out to be about 15 sectors, but not exactly.  0.2 / 0.01333333333 = 15.0000000038.  Is that discrepancy enough to cause a Sector Boundary Error?  Maybe; I don't know.

Again, I am not sure that even if you do this, you will get files that are truly aligned to sector boundaries.

If you really need boundary-aligned files, then I would make sure and run your tracks through TLH or another tool that is known to do this operation well.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline kuba e

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2019, 05:01:55 AM »
My math was : 1 second is 75 sectors.  5 time less: 0.2 second is 15 sectors (75 divided by 5 is an integer). We can have smoother grid 0.04 second too. I don't know how to setup this grid in Reaper (probably there is way). I just wanted to avoid external programs and do it all in Reaper. This is just a very marginal theme, it is not important for most of people to have aligned sectors.

Edit:
Ok, I tested it. If there is someone like me and renders for cd playback, you can use snap to grid to avoid sector boundaries error when tracking. Use a grid 0.04 s, this is preventing sector boundaries errors and also it is very smooth step. To set the grid:
- First be sure, that Reaper project setting "Project timebase" is set to time (not beats, otherwise you would change the tempo of the music in the next step).
- Second, set BMP (beats per minute) to 125 and grid line spacing to 1/32T.
- Third, set snap to grig when placing markers for tracking.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 08:07:15 AM by kuba e »

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2019, 06:02:59 PM »
Wow, not only does this work properly in the current version, I can export directly as FLAC and not even have to use TLH! Thanks again for the heads up folks.

Yep! Very solid program.

Now if I could just figure out the amplification to -1db and the fades I could totally ditch Audacity....

I'm very new to DAWs and I couldn't figure out why my rendered tracks sounded so different in Foobar than the playback in Reaper. When you do EQ in Reaper (and possibly every other DAW), you HAVE to apply the effect to the track before you render it. The monitor EQ does not do it automatically. I thought this may alleviate a bit of frustration.

I may have stuck with my AT853s if I had known EQing could make these tiny mics sound so good  :cheers:
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 06:17:42 PM by beegar »
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2019, 09:38:49 PM »

Yep! Very solid program.

Now if I could just figure out the amplification to -1db and the fades I could totally ditch Audacity....

I'm very new to DAWs and I couldn't figure out why my rendered tracks sounded so different in Foobar than the playback in Reaper. When you do EQ in Reaper (and possibly every other DAW), you HAVE to apply the effect to the track before you render it. The monitor EQ does not do it automatically. I thought this may alleviate a bit of frustration.

I may have stuck with my AT853s if I had known EQing could make these tiny mics sound so good  :cheers:

If you double-click your WAV you get a dialog box with options including a Normalize button with a slider next to it. You can click Normalize then roll the slider down to 1dB less than the amount it is set to normalize by.

Offline ycoop

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2019, 09:45:24 PM »

Yep! Very solid program.

What exactly do you mean by applying the effect to the track before you render it?
Mics: Avantone CK-1s, AT853 c+o
Pres: CA9100
Recorders: DR-60d mkII, DR-2d

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2019, 10:38:50 PM »
TDR Nova VST plug-in works great in Audacity, as well as the VST plug-ins for BootEQmkII, ColourEQ, GlissEQ, MSEQComp, Nova67P, OvertoneGEQ, ParisEQ, and SonEQ.  I don't remember where I found all these, but they are out there, and free.

No need to ditch Audacity, beegar.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com