Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Connecting preamp and mics to m-10  (Read 3397 times)

Offline ryansee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Connecting preamp and mics to m-10
« on: February 12, 2020, 02:49:40 AM »
I'm very much a beginner still, bought an m10 last year and have only done a few recordings with just the internal mics, nothing else. I finally decided to buy some external mics, some used CA-14s and the guy I bought them from also sold me a church audio ST-20A preamp. I'm gonna be honest and it's embarrassing, but I'm not certain how to use everything and set everything up. Do I still need a battery box? Do the mics go line in, into the preamp, and then use a 3.5mm cable line out into the m10? Do I switch the S20 A up (-27) or  down (+30) for a very loud show at a small club? Should I leave the volume on the m10 at 3? Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
Re: Connecting preamp and mics to m-10
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 03:13:46 AM »
im not sure of the specs on the st-20, it probably takes the place of a battery box. you want to use the preamp as the primary source of gain, and use the M10 at line-in at 30-50% input gain on the knob

it would be unusual if the preamp had both "-27" and "+30" gain - that would be a huge range
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Online unidentified

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member

Offline ryansee

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 11:05:54 AM »
im not sure of the specs on the st-20, it probably takes the place of a battery box. you want to use the preamp as the primary source of gain, and use the M10 at line-in at 30-50% input gain on the knob

it would be unusual if the preamp had both "-27" and "+30" gain - that would be a huge range

thank you, based on another post about the preamp i think it's possible the numbers are misprinted, not sure though. Actually I just found a thread in which church audio said it actually means "+6db and +30db". Which should I set it to when recording?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 11:10:22 AM by ryansee »

ilduclo

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 11:10:38 AM »
Go to some shows that you don't care about recording, try different reccommended combinations of the setup.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 12:22:21 PM »
Go to some shows that you don't care about recording, try different reccommended combinations of the setup.

+1   Similar types of music too.  Practicing on a quiet acoustic show they going to tape a loud metal show won't tell you as much about your configuration.

Offline ryansee

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 01:09:07 PM »

+1   Similar types of music too.  Practicing on a quiet acoustic show they going to tape a loud metal show won't tell you as much about your configuration.

thanks definitely gonna be experimenting

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 04:20:49 PM »

Practice on a "stack tape" - Set it up a foot from your stereo speaker at home and crank it up to rock and roll.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 07:13:14 PM »
thats still a large range

+6dB and then using the gain on the M10 would be 'safer'
+30dB risks brickwalling the M10 input.

i would say if you can run +30 and your levels arent peaking to hot with the M10 at 30% of input level or more youre in safe territory.

if you find yourself having to reduce the M10 to below 20% of input level, switch to +6dB and use the M10 at 40-60% of input level instead
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline ryansee

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2020, 07:31:00 PM »
thats still a large range

+6dB and then using the gain on the M10 would be 'safer'
+30dB risks brickwalling the M10 input.

i would say if you can run +30 and your levels arent peaking to hot with the M10 at 30% of input level or more youre in safe territory.

if you find yourself having to reduce the M10 to below 20% of input level, switch to +6dB and use the M10 at 40-60% of input level instead

Thank you that's really helpful information for me to get started

Offline ryansee

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2020, 08:10:56 PM »
can anyone help me figure out a problem with my s20-a I bought? when i plug in the mics to the preamp, and then plug the preamp into the m10, I only get right side sound, no left side. But when i plug the mics directly into the m10, i get sound on both sides, left and right. I was hoping to try out the whole set up with the preamp tonight at a show, but can't figure out if there's something wrong with the preamp or if i'm doing something wrong.

Offline perks

• Recordings uploaded to TTD
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2020, 08:32:03 PM »
Is the mini plug > mini plug interconnect cable between the preamp and the recorder a stereo cable?

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/whats-the-difference-between-ts-and-trs-cables/
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

Offline ryansee

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2020, 08:48:40 PM »
Is the mini plug > mini plug interconnect cable between the preamp and the recorder a stereo cable?

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/whats-the-difference-between-ts-and-trs-cables/

ah, that might be it actually, thank you, i just bought whatever 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable i found at best buy, they only had one option. so I need to make sure I buy a TRS cable, and i need both ends to be 3.5mm, correct? and just based on a quick google search it was hard to find a 3.5mm to 3.5mm, so I might have to buy an adapter?

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2020, 08:54:26 PM »

ah, that might be it actually, thank you, i just bought whatever 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable i found at best buy, they only had one option. so I need to make sure I buy a TRS cable, and i need both ends to be 3.5mm, correct? and just based on a quick google search it was hard to find a 3.5mm to 3.5mm, so I might have to buy an adapter?

they are actually quite common. search amazon for 'stereo miniplug cable'

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2020, 11:32:55 PM »
I think I've run the M10 (with limiter) down to a record level of 1 without brickwalling, but if you have to lower the level below 1 of 10 on a Sony recorder, the input is definitely too hot.
For Sony recorders I've used, (D6 cassette, D7, D8, D100, M1 DAT, and also the M10) input level of 4-5 of 10 is the best range. Up to 7 is OK, but above that seems to be a gain stage where noise gets boosted too.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com