Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Modern all-in-one recorder help  (Read 583 times)

mnm207, heva and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online heva

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Modern all-in-one recorder help
« Reply #15 on: Today at 02:10:20 AM »
FWIW I still have and use a Fostex FR2le, added a Tascam dr100mk3, which is smaller (supposedly better and has more options). Recently added a (used) Tascam dr701d for upto 4 tracks (the one with the hdmi connections) - I hear no difference between the two Tascams, dr701d seems very good to me.
But, when starting new these days, I’d get SoundDevices

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: Today at 07:09:53 AM »
  • Sound Devices MixPre 3.  Very tempting as an updated option vs. 702.  Currently evaluating what's available in the market for a v1.  Seen a couple that aren't much more than a used 702.
  • Sound Devices MixPre 6.  More I think about it, more I think I'm probably 5-7 years from having any desire to run more than 2 channels (not until kiddo's off to college).  But still going to keep my eye out in case I get lucky on a v1.

If it matters, the MixPres are quite a bit smaller and lighter than the 7-series. Not as full-featured, though. Also, the MixPre-3 has an option (the +2 plugin) that makes it go from 3-channel (5-track) to 5-channel (7-track), so if you want more channels in the future that is an option.

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #17 on: Today at 09:37:24 AM »
Thanks, all, really appreciate the update
  • Edirol R44.  I enjoyed my R44 when I had one.  Just looking for something more recent and a little smaller (I transport gear on my motorcycle regularly)
Thanks so much, everyone!  I have some more reading to do...

Can't you get a bigger bike?
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Online grawk

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: Today at 10:07:03 AM »
for 2 track recording where you need xlr/phantom, it's hard to beat the F3.  It's not a perfect machine, but the compromises work really well for taping, in my experience.
4015gs/4018vlgs/kk14->mma:a d-vice/sonosax minir82/sonosax sx-m2d2/nagra vi/lectrosonics spdr

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #19 on: Today at 10:20:42 AM »
Good list.  I'm mostly stopping in to say welcome back, B!

I still have use and like OCM R44 as well as DR680, but I think SD or Zoom is probably the right answer for you.  I mostly use a first gen Zoom F8 myself and really like that machine.  Well built, great preamps, great reliability, no problem with generic SD cards, easy interface.  I've never had to repair any of my recorders so things like layout, ease of use, full size XLRs for each input channel, and cost-benefit make the Zoom F series very attractive to me. 

Take a look at an F3.  For 2 channels its seems to be the sweet spot and is likely all you need. Cheap, simple, reliable, small, sounds good. 

The 32 bit floating point recording feature of the new Zoom's and SD's isn't important to me, but is valued by other TS members.  Consider that sort of a separate issue to look into.  I prefer recording straight 24/48 WAVs for a few reasons - 24-bit offers more than sufficient dynamic range for me, the resulting files are smaller, and are straight raw WAVs which result are playable by anything, prior to doing any post conversion and normalizing.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #20 on: Today at 10:22:23 AM »
I prefer recording straight 24/48 WAVs for a few reasons - 24-bit offers more than sufficient dynamic range for me, the resulting files are smaller, and are straight raw WAVs which result are playable by anything, prior to doing any post conversion and normalizing.

true DAT
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #21 on: Today at 11:59:12 AM »
I got my Zoom F6 last fall from Sweetwater for $500.  They are on sale regularly for $650 down from $750 and sometimes drop down to $500
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline breakonthru

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: Today at 12:01:51 PM »
  • Sound Devices MixPre 3.  Very tempting as an updated option vs. 702.  Currently evaluating what's available in the market for a v1.  Seen a couple that aren't much more than a used 702.
  • Sound Devices MixPre 6.  More I think about it, more I think I'm probably 5-7 years from having any desire to run more than 2 channels (not until kiddo's off to college).  But still going to keep my eye out in case I get lucky on a v1.

If it matters, the MixPres are quite a bit smaller and lighter than the 7-series. Not as full-featured, though. Also, the MixPre-3 has an option (the +2 plugin) that makes it go from 3-channel (5-track) to 5-channel (7-track), so if you want more channels in the future that is an option.
good rec with the caveat that you have 3 ch of phantom and the other two are line-in

Offline commongrounder

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: Today at 02:32:53 PM »

good rec with the caveat that you have 3 ch of phantom and the other two are line-in
Just a slight clarification. The 3.5mm stereo input on the mixpre series also has a mic level input mode (along with other functions like timecode) with plug-in-power available. They don’t use the Kashmir preamp circuit, but are good performers nonetheless.

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
« Reply #24 on: Today at 03:03:11 PM »
love the dr70d
does have built in mics but mostly unobtrusive
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com