Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Repair shop for sonosax sx-m2?  (Read 3712 times)

Offline ianstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • schoeps>something>something else
    • My Recordings on ARCHIVE
Repair shop for sonosax sx-m2?
« on: January 28, 2008, 11:20:48 PM »
this is a unit from 1992 purchased through this board...

first started having problems with it at coachella this past year - a couple drop outs in 1 of my recordings.
later this year - at HSMF - it happend again - but this time i lost signal fully

basically when you tweak the bottom board the power/signal drops out

its been at a local repair shop and they cant fix it - can anyone help me get some help?
:)

ian
Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)
mk6 (pair) and mk41 (pair) with kc5's & cmc6's
mk21 (1) for those M/S situations

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

Offline tchoub

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Repair shop for sonosax sx-m2?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 06:41:00 AM »
I have no idea what the problem might be but, if you email sonosax including your location, they will provide you with the contact information of the nearest "authorized sonosax repair center".

« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 06:49:01 AM by tchoub »

Offline neumannkid

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Shows Ive taped on the archive
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 06:44:06 AM »
Bill Drucklieb at Cinemasonics

http://www.cinemasonics.com/

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 07:59:07 AM »
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 10:00:36 AM »
ian, you can send email to sonosax [at] sonsax [dot] ch (note that last part--ch for Switzerland) and explain the problem to them. They understand English there, and they write English well enough to give you the advice you need.

The SX-M2 is made with mostly surface-mount components. Many--perhaps most--repair shops and technicians aren't equipped to deal with that technology, although they may still tell you, "Sure, we can fix it." And then they have to hope to get out of the situation somehow without a huge mess.

Half the time they can do so, since half the time there's nothing really wrong with what the customer brought in in the first place--instead it's cables, some component other than the one that was brought in, a connector that needed cleaning, or an RTFM problem. And the other half of the time, they either luck out (maybe it's a non-surface-mount part which they can replace) or as a last resort, just confuse or intimidate the customer.

If I seem to have a cynical attitude about repair shops, it's because I used to work in one. It was one of the best around, but games were still played with the customers on a daily basis. One of the long-time techs used to put his phone on speakerphone, and the others would gather around as he bullshat customers. It was a bit like "Liar's Poker."

After a few weeks there I did the math and figured out that without playing such games, I was earning very close to minimum wage. Since then I have understood what makes things be the way they are. But the fact that I know many of the dodges and ruses doesn't protect me when something of mine is broken that I can't fix myself. So I have a decided preference for manufacturer's service rather than third-party service--or third-party service only from people who I'm friends with and trust personally.

This is not meant as any kind of comment on the companies mentioned earlier in this thread; I haven't dealt with them, and don't know what they're made of. But with critical, high-quality equipment (especially something so highly miniaturized) I would always rather go where the manufacturer tells me to go with it, unless I had a pretty near unanimous user community telling me otherwise.

--best regards
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 07:27:35 AM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline ianstone

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 12:40:21 PM »

have you used him before?

Liberman is closed till april - that's who sonosax reccomended.

Trew Audio wanted $250-400

Bill is quoting me $150

is he trustworthy?

-ian
Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

Offline jhfinn

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 06:04:45 PM »
I had my sonosax die on me a few years ago not sure whats wrong with it .I got intouch with Sonosax and he reccomended sending it to VarkAudio in Maryland.I wound up buying a 2nd pre and my sax has sat in the closet.I never got around to sending it out for repair.
May want to shoot them an email and see what they say.This is the same company that makes the vark stereo tbar.Their website is pretty vague but they do offer repair service...worth a shot.

http://www.varkaudio.com/

regards,
Jim
Mics:Neumann KM150x2...LC3KA actives x4
Pres:Audioroot Femto(L)
Recorders: Edirol R44/Sony PCM-D50
Retired: Sony D10pro2 modified/ Sony TCD-D8

Offline ianstone

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 02:25:50 PM »
I had my sonosax die on me a few years ago not sure whats wrong with it .I got intouch with Sonosax and he reccomended sending it to VarkAudio in Maryland.I wound up buying a 2nd pre and my sax has sat in the closet.I never got around to sending it out for repair.
May want to shoot them an email and see what they say.This is the same company that makes the vark stereo tbar.Their website is pretty vague but they do offer repair service...worth a shot.

regards,
Jim

thanks

would you consider parting with it? i might be able to use the part i need in mine from yours...

-ian
Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

Offline jhfinn

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 04:46:34 PM »

regards,
Jim

thanks

would you consider parting with it? i might be able to use the part i need in mine from yours...

-ian

Im not sure whats wrong but I have a feeling its in worse shape than yours.As soon as I power it up both overload lights come one and theres no signal going to the recorder.Somthing is certianly fried inside.
 Im running a Aeta psp3 until I get around to fixing the sax.Nothing better than schoeps>sonosax to my ears:-)
I doubt it but maybe one of these service places could give us a discount if we send ours together??Worth a shot send me a pm if you want to try.

regards,
Jim
Mics:Neumann KM150x2...LC3KA actives x4
Pres:Audioroot Femto(L)
Recorders: Edirol R44/Sony PCM-D50
Retired: Sony D10pro2 modified/ Sony TCD-D8

Offline neumannkid

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Shows Ive taped on the archive
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 04:58:08 PM »

have you used him before?

Liberman is closed till april - that's who sonosax reccomended.

Trew Audio wanted $250-400

Bill is quoting me $150

is he trustworthy?

-ian

I haven't used Bill but he was recommended by Jason Reiser.

Offline grawk

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 08:39:08 PM »
I've used Vark for a few things, and can't recommend them more highly.
4015gs/4018vlgs/kk14->mma:a d-vice/sonosax minir82/sonosax sx-m2d2/nagra vi/lectrosonics spdr

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com