Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: R4 set up question for 4 ch Matrix  (Read 1576 times)

Offline ccage

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection Member
R4 set up question for 4 ch Matrix
« on: March 29, 2008, 06:04:27 PM »
Finally going to attempt my first 4 ch matrix w/ R4 tonight and had couple of questions.

1. I should set recording mode for 2x stereo pair signal in correct?

2. Should I run the sbd feed into my T modded 1&2 channels or send my 483s thru 1&2 and send sbd thru stock 3&4 channels?

3. Any thoughts on blend ratios?  

Its a small venue so should have no PA/ SBD phase issues.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in Advance
Schoeps CCM 41V, MK4, MK41, NBob Schoeps Actives, JB Mod Nak 300>cp103, JB Mod PFA Nak cp104, Naiant Active>AKG CK 63 combo,   
Oade m248mkII  Audioroot Femto
SD 744
Darktrain cables-tgakidis cables/bar
followinbob clips/risers/bars-Naiant PFA's-Nbob Actives

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
Re: R4 set up question for 4 ch Matrix
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 06:14:24 PM »
Hey now...  Congratz on going for your first matrix.  The R-4 makes it really easy.  Here is my .03.

1. I should set recording mode for 2x stereo pair signal in correct?

Typically I use 2X Stereo.  If you are pulling 2 stereo signals it's really the logical way to go.  If at some point you are running 4 channels where you are micing different instruments etc where you may want to mix all 4 channels separately later then run in 4X Mono.

2. Should I run the sbd feed into my T modded 1&2 channels or send my 483s thru 1&2 and send sbd thru stock 3&4 channels?

This is just my personal opinion but I think 480s sound better with a warmer mod so I would put them through the stock and then run the SBD through the mod.

3. Any thoughts on blend ratios? 

If you run 2X Stereo you will get 2 different wav files for each source that you will mix in post.  So the recording mix is not that important.  I set both sources as high as I think I can without clipping.  Keep in mind the SBD is typically going to come in much hotter than the 483.
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline ccage

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 06:43:47 PM »
Thanks C_R

Will definitely keep the sbd levels a little lower -   
Schoeps CCM 41V, MK4, MK41, NBob Schoeps Actives, JB Mod Nak 300>cp103, JB Mod PFA Nak cp104, Naiant Active>AKG CK 63 combo,   
Oade m248mkII  Audioroot Femto
SD 744
Darktrain cables-tgakidis cables/bar
followinbob clips/risers/bars-Naiant PFA's-Nbob Actives

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 01:12:58 AM »
Remember that if your AUD mics are significantly far back from the stage that you will need to add a delay to the SBD track (or slip it in your editor) -- otherwise you may hear an audible delay/echo/phasing. It's easy to think that both stereo files will be in sync cause you used an R4, but that's not true if you're way back with your AUD pair. The good news is the two sources won't drift once you have them synced. For really small clubs, this might not be an issue, but for bigger venues when you run your mics back at the board, this is a must-make adjustment in post.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com