Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony pcm D-50 max memory stick size?  (Read 4400 times)

Offline dgny

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Sony pcm D-50 max memory stick size?
« on: June 05, 2008, 09:16:25 AM »
Hey all,
I was wondering if anyone has pushed the 4 gig limit, recommended by sony and run a 8 or 16 gig card.
  (......woo-hoo red wings win the cup! ...long wait 'till fall for new season....).
MBHO 603 ka500>SD mp2> Sony D-50

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Sony pcm D-50 max memory stick size?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 10:47:07 AM »
Sony's Memory Stick offerings are confusing at best. 

Sony only recommends its high speed memory sticks, the the Pro-HG Duo and the Pro Duo (High Speed), for the D50 and D1, and they are not available in sizes larger than 4GB at the moment.  The standard Pro Duo is too slow for 24/96 recording.

The "Memory Stick Pro Duo Mark2"  was released in March.  The Mark2 is specifically designed for use in digital video cameras.  The AVCHD video format Sony is using in its latest models produces a data stream of 9 Mbps, so the Mark2 Pro Duo models have to be at least this fast to keep up.

Here's the confusing part:  Recording two channels of WAV audio at 24/96 produces a data stream of a little more than 4.6 Mbps, easily within the capability of the Mark2.  Despite this, Sony still recommends against using the Mark2 models with the D50 and D1.  Here's Sony's page on this subject.  The D50 is mentioned at the bottom of the page.
http://esupport.sony.com/perl/support-info.pl?&info_id=19

The Sonystyle web site has stopped selling the "Pro Duo (high speed)" model, in favor of the Mark2.  Sony's literature refers to the two memory sticks as if they are equivalent (e.g., "high speed/Mark2"). This makes me more suspicious of Sony's recommendation not to use the Mark2 with the D50.

Flintstone

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 01:46:42 PM »
My experience with the D1 and D50 also indicates that the Sony recommendations are conservative.  In the D1, ordinary memory stick 4GB cards and 4GB pro duo cards worked (even at 24/96, I must have run 50 concerts with these cards, never an issue), while an 8GB memory stick pro duo only showed a little less than half the rated capacity usable.  In the D50 the same 8GB pro duo seemed to work at 24/96 (at least I filled it up, four ~2GB files) but crashed once when I pushed one of the buttons while it was recording, so I decided it was not stabile enough for prime time use.  But I am tempted to try the announced highspeed Sandisk 8GB version of the pro-HG duo, since Sony has not come up with the promised 8 and 16 GB pro-HG cards.

Jeff

Offline dgny

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 06:15:35 PM »
well, thank you for the feedback. I saw the 8gig pro duo and thought...
however, I am going to stick with the 4 pro hg duo. Thanks again.

DG
MBHO 603 ka500>SD mp2> Sony D-50

Offline noam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 01:48:18 PM »
Hey all,
I was wondering if anyone has pushed the 4 gig limit, recommended by sony and run a 8 or 16 gig card.
  (......woo-hoo red wings win the cup! ...long wait 'till fall for new season....).

Any update on that? Has anyone been able to use an 8 GB memory stick with the D1?

Noam

Offline stantheman1976

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 05:11:58 PM »
I have an 8GB MS Pro Duo stick and it shows 12h35m remaining at 16/44 and 3h51m at 24/96.  I have let it run the whole 3h51m before to test it and there didn't seem to be any errors.  I haven't recorded anything important that's more than 1 hour or so but I didn't have any issues then.  I do get the "Unknown Media" screen that comes up when I power on the recorder.  I just have to press the stop button and it goes away and functions normally.

Offline flintstone

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 08:08:23 PM »
The Sony memory stick Tower of Babel continues...

Sony just introduced yet a different model called the "Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo HX"
The new model comes in 4GB and 8GB capacity.  It's rated to handle a sustained
15MB/second write speed, so it should easily keep up with two channels of 24/192.

So far, the Sony compatibility web page http://esupport.sony.com/perl/support-info.pl?&info_id=19
lists the new Duo HX model, but doesn't say anything about compatibility with the
D50 or D1 recorders.  Sigh...

Flintstone

Offline noam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 04:13:29 PM »
I have an 8GB MS Pro Duo stick and it shows 12h35m remaining at 16/44 and 3h51m at 24/96.  I have let it run the whole 3h51m before to test it and there didn't seem to be any errors.  I haven't recorded anything important that's more than 1 hour or so but I didn't have any issues then.  I do get the "Unknown Media" screen that comes up when I power on the recorder.  I just have to press the stop button and it goes away and functions normally.

I tried the Sony MSXM8GS 8 GB Memory Stick PRO Duo with the D1 and it doesn't work. I get error message and pressing stop doesn't help. What model of the MS Pro Duo stick are you using? Are you using it in the D1 or in the D50?

Noam

Offline stantheman1976

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 10:09:01 PM »
I'm using a SanDisk 8GB stick.  Memory Stick PRO Duo MagicGate.

Offline noam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 10:04:24 AM »
I'm using a SanDisk 8GB stick.  Memory Stick PRO Duo MagicGate.

With the D1 or D50?

Noam

Offline stantheman1976

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 02:10:26 PM »
D50

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com