Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 722 dirty shutdown  (Read 2832 times)

Offline sparkey

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
722 dirty shutdown
« on: March 10, 2010, 10:12:58 PM »
I fired up my 722 tonight and the power cable wasn't completely seated in....so I was playing back my recording from a couple nights ago and the power died.  I don't think it completed closing the media and corrupted the table of contents, as a bunch of recordings aren't showing up in the list for the hard drive.  Anyone ever encounter this?

Thanks,

Josh
#Generalstrike for president in 2024

Offline sparkey

Re: 722 dirty shutdown
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 01:16:05 PM »
I just spoke with SD, they said to plug it in and see what files are present once it is mounted as a drive on a computer.  I just moved, so my goodies are in disarray, but I sure hope my recordings show back up.

I fired up my 722 tonight and the power cable wasn't completely seated in....so I was playing back my recording from a couple nights ago and the power died.  I don't think it completed closing the media and corrupted the table of contents, as a bunch of recordings aren't showing up in the list for the hard drive.  Anyone ever encounter this?

Thanks,

Josh

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 01:27:06 PM »
No worries.  You can recover them.

Offline sparkey

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 02:02:50 PM »
That has happened to you in the past?

No worries.  You can recover them.

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 02:10:30 PM »
Actually, never had that happen with my 722.  But I have mad data recovery skills and feel confident your situation isn't that bad.

Though cases like this are a good reminder of why it is always best to format recording devices to free space, rather than deleting files.  It's all about keeping the blocks of the recording contiguous.  Once fragmented, the odds go down quite a lot.

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 09:04:01 PM »
I am not clear how reading a file will disturb it contents in any way.  There is nothing to write back to the disc.  Am I missing something here???         ???
Nov schmoz kapop.

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 10:14:25 PM »
SD has claimed in the past that the power supply on the 7xx has enough reserve power to allow it to flush the buffers when power is lost.

In general, the "last accessed" time is updated on file systems when a file is read.  In many cases (like this) that is not important and it is not updated to improve reliability.  For those of us on Linux, we can easily mount file systems read-only so we don't have to worry about those updates.

I no longer own a 7xx, so I don't have a horse in this race.. But somemoone should prod SD a bit on this apparent bug.  That shouldn't have happened.

Offline sparkey

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 10:03:11 AM »
But somemoone should prod SD a bit on this apparent bug.  That shouldn't have happened.

I spoke with them yesterday about it.   I need to mount it via firewire from a computer to see what it shows.  But, yes, I thought it was odd that it did it during playback, rather than recording.

Offline midside

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 10:33:58 AM »
I have 'thought' that I was missing files when I was in a wrong folder in the folder tree. This can happen quite easily if you are using 'daily folders'.  Try going to the root of the tree (selecting 'parent' until at the top) and back down...

Offline sparkey

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 04:53:08 PM »
I plugged it into the firewire port on the computer and the files are showing up.  Dunno if that will help change the missing information that available through the 722 GUI, but I'm happy I can see the files.

Offline midside

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 05:14:59 PM »
Glad you see them....another thing...maybe you were in the wrong directory.  That has happened to me before, I was trying to find files on the CF but I was in the HDD.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com