Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 722 - corrupt file  (Read 8495 times)

Offline halteh

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
722 - corrupt file
« on: April 18, 2005, 12:08:45 PM »
I taped my first show last night with the 722, just my luck though i seem to be having a problem opening the file in cool edit pro and soundforge. the show is split over 3 files, 2 very small ones (which are fine) and 1 large 4 GB file. I set the 722 to break files in 4 GB chunks (this a bad idea?) and taped at 24/192. Anyone have any idea why i am having this problem? I am sure the problem is not with transfering the file from the firewire, because i tried opening it straight from 722 with it connected to the firewire and i still get the problem. In cool edit pro the file opens as 22 minutes (even though it's 57). When i listen to the file on the SD it plays all the way through (flawlessly) just as long as i don't forward or rewind - in which case the machine sorta just pauses. Same goes with playing the wav in winamp. If i try to forward or rewind i get terrible static noises in winamp. Anyone have any idea what it is i can do? I am guessing an alternate option would be to use the digital out and go straight to my soundcard. Also, more importantly, anyone know why this happened? It's the first time i use the device and i formated right before the show. Also, if it means anything, the battery died on me as i was transfering the show. I just deleted all the currently transfered files, retarted the 722 on AC power and started over again.

Any help is much appreciated.
ps. anyone know the address to the sound devices 722/744 board?

Thanks again

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re: 722 - corrupt file
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 01:01:57 PM »
we had similar problems, and the reason was the file size...once we set the break to 2 Gb, we have had no problems.  Seems Wavelab choked on anything bigger

Offline halteh

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 01:05:43 PM »
we had similar problems, and the reason was the file size...once we set the break to 2 Gb, we have had no problems.  Seems Wavelab choked on anything bigger
Thanks so much for reply :) were you ever able to recover your files that were corrupted?

--fares

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 01:12:29 PM »
Thanks so much for reply :) were you ever able to recover your files that were corrupted?

--fares

cd wav was able to open them, at which point they were chopped up (becoming much smaller files), then wavelab was able to deal with them...hope that helps.

Offline Joe w.

• esniper
  • Turn JB Up
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 01:21:03 PM »
http://www.sounddevicessupport.com/

fwiw, I have it set to split at 1gb. Just makes the files much easier to work with in post.
2016 National Champions
five generations with an unlocked door and a loaded burglar alarm

Offline tmfraley2

• Taperssection All-Star
  • FOB is where I want to be....
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 01:29:36 PM »
joe I was unable to get the entire file back at 24/96, was saying parts of the file were 24/48, as nick said once you go at 2 gb or less you are fine
"Even jesus couldn't pull a good tape from the lawn" - Nick Gregory 6/28/05

KM140>V2>722

Offline fsulloway

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2005, 03:47:25 PM »
We had the same problem Fri night in Chi. The battery also died about 3 min before the set. When i tried to send that file to my laptop it said the file was corrupt. However I can't seem to find that file now on the 722. I tried transferring files from last 24 hrs, 48 hours and finally all files. I couldn't have deleted from the 722 though right?
schoeps ccm4's, mk4v, mk2h, mk41
AKG ck62, ck63, ck61
Nbob/pfa, Naiant/pfa
SD 10T

"Wilmington, North Carolina....Let us hear your motherf***in' pride!" Patterson Hood 12-09-04

"Just About Unwound From Chasing Down The Sound"

Offline mhibbs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • it's all about the GA preamps
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2005, 01:13:21 PM »
I set the 722 to break files in 4 GB chunks (this a bad idea?) and taped at 24/192.

Yes.  Bad idea.  The .wav standard is defined as 2gb.  As a result, Wavelab (in particular) will not work w/ files bigger than 2gb. 
Oade preamp museum curator

Offline Brian

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2005, 09:23:29 PM »
can you record on the 722 as two mono tracks or is it always an interleaved stereo file?

Offline trajhip2000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2005, 02:38:30 PM »
I run my 744T at 24/96 recording 4 mono channels on a regular basis.

Steve

Offline Brian

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2005, 02:41:23 PM »
cool.  i htought i read that 722 did as well on another forum but i just wanted to be sure, hence why i asked some of you guys here.

i don't mind recording two mono files and interleaving them later if it's going to help save me some from some of these issues.  As a matter of fact having two mono files is easier for me to work with in post and create a better product.  that's just me though.

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2005, 02:56:09 PM »
  As a matter of fact having two mono files is easier for me to work with in post and create a better product.  that's just me though.

why is that?

Offline Brian

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2005, 03:02:56 PM »
easier to fix level issues, individual EQ'ing and processing.  can import into other programs with ease and compatibility. irealize you can do this all with a stereo inter-leaved file.

it's total personal preferance.  one of my teachers went on a rant some day abuot how it takes up less processing but i can't really recall why or if he is even right.

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2005, 03:04:36 PM »
gotcha...the only thing that i ran into when working with dual mono files is that if the combined dual mono files will be greater than 2 gigs, you have to split the individual files at the exact same spot.  if you know what you're doing (i recognize a big assumption with most of us  :P ), it's not a problem, but you gotta be careful.

Offline Brian

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2005, 03:09:25 PM »
not too mention the whole 2gb limit issue workaround as well.

what programs were you experiencing this with? the greater than 2gb thing?  most of the files i work with are broadcast wave files with the smpte time code burned into the data track.  lining up break points is never an issue.

i'm not quite understanding what you are talking about.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com