Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 722 First Impressions  (Read 25178 times)

Offline Zee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Knuckle!
722 First Impressions
« on: April 26, 2005, 02:07:02 PM »
Well after running this thing for 2 shows I have decided I like it alot. I have not seen any issues with media too slow or any file corruptions yet so Ill report back on that if I see anything. I do like the sound of 4022s in front of this thing, a lot of detail. I think I am going to run my 4022>v2>722 to see what I think of that but for an all in 1 box I think it stands up great. No more SLAs :-) Ill have the trucks show and MMW tracked out and ready to seed when I get back from NOLA next week work has me booked this week.

EDIT:
I wish we had better metering.

Bring on the MULE :-)

;D
« Last Edit: April 26, 2005, 02:09:04 PM by Zee »
4022>v2>722
Please dither and resample as you see fit!

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re: 722 First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 02:14:38 PM »
No more SLAs :-)

isnt that a beatiful thing?

EDIT:
I wish we had better metering.

I thought the same thing when I started using, it, but have found it isnt that big of a deal....with 24 bit I am running more conservatively and can normalize a bit later if necessary, but hasnt been thus far

+T on the new toy!

Offline Zee

• Taperssection Member
  • Knuckle!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 02:19:42 PM »

It lights up like a Xmas tree for sure. :-)

Yeah I ran in pretty damn hot for MMW I was FOB and ran it on the Normal gain setting and ran out of room. I was hitting the -3db for a while. Do you all run mic in or line in with p48? I think If Im fob Ill run with the low gain settings.
4022>v2>722

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 02:20:46 PM »
thus far I have only run mic in, with p48 with the low gain settings

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 02:37:48 PM »
Random question, Zee ... have you tried switching from normal to low gain on the fly? While that'd make your levels jump suddenly, (and one channel at a time, too), it might be something worth knowing if it's possible. I also didn't think to run line in if I was running too hot - that's a good idea that might save a recording at some point.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 02:43:05 PM »
I've only run mic in with P48.  There was some discussion in another thread that the front end on this thing is a common path and that line mode isn't really switching anything out of the signal path.  The only difference then between the two modes would be the input impedence. 

So if you do try the V2, please post your impressions.  With the V2 being transparent and the 722 gain stage possibly not switched out, I want to know if you hear any difference.

You should check your firmware even if you haven't seen any problems.  If you are running 1.24, you really need to get it off there.  SD said there is a bug in there causing buffer overrun problems that explain the media slow errors, the lost data, disk full, etc. 

It is a nice box. It did a great job on the mule show in Charlottesville.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005, 02:47:37 PM »
Carrington's WSP source from saturday is in the kickdown section with the V2 in front of the 722

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2005, 02:48:54 PM »
Thanks.

Offline Zee

• Taperssection Member
  • Knuckle!
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2005, 03:18:26 PM »
Random question, Zee ... have you tried switching from normal to low gain on the fly?

I was thinking of doing this during the show but decided not to. It was not getting any louder and I can live with it being hot  :P
I will run with the lower gain settings now when I’m FOB.

So if you do try the V2, please post your impressions. With the V2 being transparent and the 722 gain stage possibly not switched out, I want to know if you hear any difference.

You should check your firmware even if you haven't seen any problems. If you are running 1.24, you really need to get it off there. SD said there is

I am at 1.24 however I need to finish building my new PC for Fire wire (ooops... chicken before the egg thing here) I should have this done this week so before I go to mule ill upgrade it.  I don’t know if I’m going to run the V2 during mule or not I might wait until I can run it here in town for a show I don’t care that much about. Run one set with the V2 and one with out the V2.

How many shows do yall leave on this thing? The reason I ask if I don’t have time to finish up my PC I might need to leave trucks and mmw on the hard drive. That will end up being 4 shows maybe more (you know how NOLA during JazzFest can be) on this thing at once.
4022>v2>722

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2005, 04:04:57 PM »
I've formatted each time I took it out. If you start from a clean format and proceed linearly, you *shouldn't* have any problems, but no promises of that, of course.

Ray76

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2005, 07:20:19 PM »
I wander when they ship it , will it have the newer firmware on it, or what..probably a silley question..just thinkin with my hands. im thinkin i ll get mine june or so. its backordered
Ray

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2005, 07:30:50 PM »
I wander when they ship it , will it have the newer firmware on it, or what..probably a silley question..just thinkin with my hands. im thinkin i ll get mine june or so. its backordered
Ray

Your unit will ship with the latest production firmware release that is available at the time it is configured for shipment.  However there's nothing to prevent a new firmware release the day after your unit ships.  The best thing to do is check the SD website.

One thing to keep in mind is that new firmware is not always better firmware.  For instance, I had perfectly working firmware, but updated to the flawed 1.24 so that I could have the improved panel lock feature.   If I had waited, we'd all be enjoying the only known FOB of DAR Panic.  Sometimes it pays to update after others have proven out the release in the field.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2005, 08:38:30 PM »
I usually follow that too, but I did my stealth job with 1.24 and had no issues other than heat. The recording was for nearly 3 hours straight at 24/96.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2005, 12:00:30 AM »
ran the roll off tonight for the crowes, and damn glad I did....show was bassy as hell, and the tape sounds fantastic....still running original FW, but ran straight for 2:15 with no issues at all, 24/96...this box rocks

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2005, 12:05:25 AM »
sweet nick
+t for sticking it out with the 722.

how my old buddy mr. robinson doing ?

the 722 sounds freaking fantastic....shitty ass venue tonight and the tape smokes...

and the robinson brothers....lets just say long live rock and roll...cant wait for asheville!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com