Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 722 - anyone running 4G splits?  (Read 7949 times)

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
722 - anyone running 4G splits?
« on: June 20, 2005, 03:21:54 PM »
Is anyone recording with the 4G split? 

If so, are you having any issues other than the playback problem mentioned on SD support page?

Anyone running the repair utility proactively and what are your results?

All of last weeks tests (in the "slow media" thread) eventually showed problems when splitting at 4G even when using a freshly formatted HD.  After seeing the note on the SD support page, I set to split at 2G and for the last 4 days, I've filled to about 75G twice and I'm into a third session with no problems at all.  I think I was running 2G splits before Jim took it out.  Of the files he captured, the 722 displayed the "slow" error only after he recorded a file that was 2600MB.   

Also, even when the recorder was not showing issues, the file repair utility would detect errors in the filesystem when splitting at 4G.  When splitting at 2G, the repair utility never detects an error.

So it's looking like this is not a heat issue or a HW problem with my box.  Looks like a FW issue with large files.

update here: http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,80721.msg1156883.html#msg1156883
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 09:12:44 AM by Lil' Kim Jong-Il »
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re: 722 - anyone running 4G splits?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 04:36:57 PM »
The only problems Tim and I had were when I ran the 4 Gb split....ever since splitting at 2 Gb, the problems went away....fwiw, the problems were wavelab recognizing, opening properly...etc...

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 05:12:10 PM »
I was originally running 4G splits because CDwave handles the big files and putting back together pieces of a song that spanns the split seemed like a pain in the ass.    I'll run 2G splits if that's what it takes to get the show home.

I just did another "repair" and there were no errors on the continuing 2G test.  I'll switch over to 4G tomorrow and see if the problems return.

So when you split at the 2G but then need to downsample in a program that does not support 4G files, how you go about resampling across the file boundary? 

Offline CQBert

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Sunset in Zilker Park
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 07:02:19 PM »
My 2 Cents -

I ran a couple of time at 4G's and could not get things to work right.

Since I updated to 1.37 and cut back to 2G files I have had ZERO issues...

4G files time will come, just not quite yet.

CQBert
Sennheiser MKH 8040 (Matched) > Sound Devices 702

Offline wboswell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 07:11:02 PM »
We've been running the 4bg split since 1.32 (due to the filesplit bugs) and haven't had problems.  CDWave handles the files fine.  Joe may have switched it back while at the Roo but as far as I know, there were no issues while there. 

I use Wavelab's batch process to do all my dither/resampling.  Anyone have a problem with batch processing files?  I haven't had any problems and love the convenience!

Offline kindms

• The Breakfast
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 07:55:35 PM »
Question:

Does the 722 have pre-set file sizes ie. 4GB, 2GB or can you set a custom value ?

The reason I ask is when I used to use Soundforge to record the file size was always the biggest issue and has been dicussed here adnauseum. When I finally was able to make the switch to wavelab and set the autosplit I haven't run in to a lot of the weird issues that I would have in dealing with large files in SF etc. I set my auto-split at 1500MB (plently long enough for 1 set).

Putting files back together in wavelab makes it all very pain free. When a show is split and needs to be put back together I simply Add- Audio file to end and then choose a spot I would have normally made a track split and cut and paste a new file. It adds a step or 2 but is about as stree free as you can hope for
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2005, 07:57:04 PM »
My 2 Cents -
I ran a couple of time at 4G's and could not get things to work right.
CQBert

what issues were you seeing?  The SDsupport page only mentioned playback on the 722 in the threads I read even though I'm seeing other issues.

i recombine the 2GB file chunks in the editor..usually using w64 file format....combining the split files is easy as cut/past....all resampling, etc happens to the entire combined file..then save out in wav chunks
boogie

If you don't mind humoring me in spite of my being too lazy to search, what is w64?

I use Wavelab's batch process to do all my dither/resampling. Anyone have a problem with batch processing files? I haven't had any problems and love the convenience!

I was under the impression that resampling operated on a window of samples.  By your method, does the resampling slide that window across the split so that the edges are resampled properly?

Offline wboswell

• Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2005, 08:38:03 PM »

I use Wavelab's batch process to do all my dither/resampling. Anyone have a problem with batch processing files? I haven't had any problems and love the convenience!

I was under the impression that resampling operated on a window of samples.  By your method, does the resampling slide that window across the split so that the edges are resampled properly?

apparently not.  When I run shn tool over the 16 bit fileset, there are never any SBE's from the resampling process.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2005, 08:41:13 PM »
So when you split at the 2G but then need to downsample in a program that does not support 4G files, how you go about resampling across the file boundary?

actually I cut the file up into tracks, join the split track, then do a batch resample in wavelab.....

Offline CQBert

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Sunset in Zilker Park
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2005, 10:21:40 PM »
My issues were more on the handling end than the recording end.  Processing in Wavelab was not possible...  Cutting into two pieces was a pain..lost info (probably my fault)

Once I went to 2G files I am running fine and have no reason to change for now.

I had a thermal issue but not since 1.37 was installed..

BTW  - I have yet to be authorized to access the support forum..  after 3 direct emails...

Any suggestions <<<< not trying to hijack this thread, just frustrated>>>>

CQBert

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2005, 10:22:19 PM »
w64 is a file format in sonic foundry programs (Vegas, Sound Forge) that allows >2GB audio file sizes.

I record in Vegas 2.0, it records as .WAV up to 2 GB, when the file gets bigger than that it will change it to a .W64 automatically.

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2005, 10:46:29 PM »
Sorry if this is off topic but

I have my 722 set at 2GB splitting... I open WaveLab, file > new > wav and then I, edit > insert audio files until I have the whole show in there. Then I add markers, auto split and lastly encode with FLAC front end.

Is this ok?
Retired Taper

Offline CQBert

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Sunset in Zilker Park
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2005, 11:04:19 PM »
Sounds pretty much like I am handling things now..

Offline JasonR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2005, 01:48:54 PM »
BTW  - I have yet to be authorized to access the support forum..  after 3 direct emails...

Any suggestions <<<< not trying to hijack this thread, just frustrated>>>>

CQBert
Maybe try calling them?  Of course it shouldn't be necessary, but you can talk with the same folks who run the forum on the phone, so I'd think you should be able to get hooked up that way.
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > SD 744T, M10

Offline Zee

• Taperssection Member
  • Knuckle!
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2005, 02:41:19 PM »
Sorry if this is off topic but

I have my 722 set at 2GB splitting... I open WaveLab, file > new > wav and then I, edit > insert audio files until I have the whole show in there. Then I add markers, auto split and lastly encode with FLAC front end.

Is this ok?

Rick this is the same process I use also.
4022>v2>722
Please dither and resample as you see fit!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com