Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 671 vs HP2: Which sounds best?  (Read 8833 times)

Offline Candace

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
671 vs HP2: Which sounds best?
« on: March 24, 2007, 12:39:19 PM »
So, I'm thinking of ditching my Apogee and getting either a 671 or HP2, most likely unmodded. Which unit will sound best mic in? Also, which unit might sound most like my AD1000? Finally, which has better battery life?

Thanks for any and all responses!

Offline sam

• Getting out as much as I can
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: 671 vs HP2: Which sounds best?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 03:25:06 PM »
I have to agree with Tim, I bought a stock 671 and used it with my v2 ubtil I got the ACM mod by Doug. Now 1 box does it all, the only problem is my wife was with me at a show last month and wants me to get 744, "the lights are so cool". So maybe in a few months.......
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 07:57:26 AM by sam »
AKG480/61/63->Audio Magic X-Stream->Marantz ACM671

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 04:00:29 PM »
most of us use an external battery with the aa's in for backups in case the external dies.   the internals take over seamlessly on the 671, i'm not sure how the p2 responds.

the HD-P2 also switches over seamlessly from external power to internal batteries.
I won't comment on the sound of either unit, because I've always run an external A/D before the HD-P2.

Offline musicsherlock

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Team Upstate New York
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 06:14:42 PM »
imo, the boxes arent able to be used as an all in one without a mod being done to the inputs, either by doug oade (who does both) or chris johnson (who does the p2 only). 

you may be able to get by with doug's "basic mod" on either deck, i don't know.  you'd have to call him and chat. 
671 mods: http://www.oade.com/digital_recorders/hard_disc_recorders/PMD-671MODS.html
p2 mods: http://www.oade.com/digital_recorders/hard_disc_recorders/tascam_hd-p2_upgrade.html

here's info about chris' mod he does to the p2: http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,76173.0.html

hth -
tim

not to speak for Busman (Chris Johnson), but I wouldn't rule him out as NOT being willing/able to mod a pre-amp...check with him via pm's if you like his work as he may have something up his sleeve...you may need to go through Cascade Media however.

BTW, Busman has my Marantz 660 in his possession as we speak...we'll see what he comes up with.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 07:24:02 PM »
I bought an Oade HDP2 last month.  I've used it only once though...

In conversation with Doug, he stated that the ACM HD-P2 is similar to the Warm UA5 while the Transparent HD-P2 is more like (duh) the Trans UA5.  I went with the ACM. 

Not sure, but Doug might have both options with the 671.

I ultimately went with the P2 because it has a nicer display.  I really can't comment on the sound of each nor can I make a comparison...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline jackmf

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 08:33:22 PM »
I found the stock P2 to sound better than the 671, especially with hotter signals. The P2 seemed to be much more forgiving with a low record knob setting and hot signal. Eventually I found it practical to use attenuators with a hot signal. My P2 is also currently with Busman getting a mod. I am generally not in favor of mods but ater speaking with more than a few reliable folks very happy with Busman Audio, I went for it.
Busman Audio BSC1>Busman HD-P2 (for sale) or PMD661

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 09:17:39 PM »
candace, i wouldn't recommend running either of the decks mic in, stock. you won't be happy with their sound and that's if you get lucky and don't overload the stock preamps, ruining the recording.  imo, the boxes arent able to be used as an all in one without a mod being done to the inputs, either by doug oade (who does both) or chris johnson (who does the p2 only). 
ya know what candace?  i just thought about this again and need to clarify a bit.  my friend dan ran his p2 stock with akg 48x's for most of '06 and i heard the majority of his recordings.  with that being said, i know you can run the p2 stock and get a recording, but imo they come out sort of flat sounding; non musical is the best way to explain it.  i'm sure dan can chime in and articulate his thoughts better regarding how his stock p2 sounded since he was the one running it.  i'll point him to this thread.

That's correct.  I ran mine stock the whole time I had it.  Loved the P2 right out of the box.  A real dependable performer.  Got a solid 5 hours of recording time on a set of Energizer AA 2500 mah rechargeables.  Overall sound is a bit flat, like Tim said.  So not really musical sounding, but overall not a bad sounding unit.  Sure, the mods will improve it and you can what ever flavor you like, Transparent or Warm.  I would definitely get a  P2 over the 671, if you DO NOT intend to run a preamp in front.  The P2's pre did a great handling loud/bass heavy shows, like Govt Mule and the Black Crowes.  It didn't need attenuation what so ever.  Oh yeah, love that frickin' huge screen.  I bet Bill Walton could read it from a standing position,..... if he was a taper.   :P

dorrcoq

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 09:47:22 PM »
I haveto agree with Tim, I bought a stock 671 and used it with my v2 ubtil I got the ACM mod by Doug. Now 1 box does it all, the only problem is my wife was with me at a show last month and wants me to get 744, "the lights are so cool". So maybe in a few months.......

Man, everyone needs a wife like that! ;D  I'll give her a big +T if she's a member.

Offline sam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 08:03:05 AM »
I haveto agree with Tim, I bought a stock 671 and used it with my v2 ubtil I got the ACM mod by Doug. Now 1 box does it all, the only problem is my wife was with me at a show last month and wants me to get 744, "the lights are so cool". So maybe in a few months.......

Man, everyone needs a wife like that! ;D  I'll give her a big +T if she's a member.

Yeah I am still blown away by her comment since she says she hates it when I get into taper mode. I asked last night and she said she was serious about getting a 744 down the road.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 02:54:34 PM »
shes having an affair!

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 11:54:52 AM »
shes having an affair!

+T thats funny as hell
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 01:46:06 PM »
shes having an affair!

No question!

Thanks for the laugh....thats was funny..........
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2007, 01:50:26 PM »
Upon further reflection.. If she told you to get a 722, it is an afair.  But a 744?  I'm thinking multiple channel pairs = multiple partners.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2007, 07:13:33 AM »
ok..now your pushing it.

Offline sam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007, 12:30:19 PM »
Upon further reflection.. If she told you to get a 722, it is an afair.  But a 744?  I'm thinking multiple channel pairs = multiple partners.

Actally the reason she wants me to get a 744 is for selfesh reasons. There is a club in town that we usually run a four mic mix and there other places I do a matrix. Currently I have to carry a mixer, preamps, sometimes a delay, often times a portable burner (Tascam CDRW4U) along with assorted cables stands, adaptoids etc. Her thought is I can carry less get in and out quicker and spend more time doing other things. But this season I am loving ACM 671.

I am curious as to the difference in sound between the HDP2 and 671, both stock, is.

Offline Gizby

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2007, 04:44:26 PM »
I'm torn between the two. At the aesthetic and practibility level, the screen looks larger on the P2 than the 671, the levels look easy to read. Don't know how much power the screen draws. I'd like to hear what people think on the 671's screen, whether it is easy to see/read and what the levels are like (the levels are especially important to me). Also, since I hope to be doing some sound work on location video shoots, I'd be hoping for whichever unit I choose to pull double duty. I could record separate audio then sync it up later in the editing program. The P2's ability to handle timecode is an attractive feature in that regard. Though, to be honest, I've no idea how useful this will be as I've never worked with timecode before or after recording audio. It'd be nice to hear from some people who have used the timecode. I'd also like to do a fair amount of nature/ambient recording once I get some appropriate microphones and misc. gear, but that's not the most important factor for me. Concert recording and then location sound come first.

And then there is what everybody else is wondering, how do either sound? I'd be getting the ACM for whichever I get. At first I'd be running straight mic-in (how easy is it to adjust levels on-the-fly using either?). And once I save up a little more money, I'll throw a Mini-MP in front. I don't know if I'll ever throw a separate ADC into the chain as I'd imagine either unit can do that well enough. If I ever wanted to run digi-in, I'd probably use my UA-5. I'd rather use my MicroTrack as a bitbucket, though.

So yeah, I'm hoping to pick up either modded unit within the next couple of months. I've read through the other thread, but a year has almost passed since that one was made, so I'm really interested in opinions and answers to my questions.

And she's totally cheating on you.
Mics: DSP mod Oktava MK012s, CAD E100S (2), Studio Projects C4s, SP-CMC-2, Polsen OLM-20
Preamps/BB: Sound Devices MixPre, SP-SPSB-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam DR‑05
Video: Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4

Team SoCal

Offline kgreener

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2007, 06:15:20 PM »
don't forget to check out this thread if you haven't already:

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,74545.0.html

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2007, 10:47:48 PM »
curious..
why spend the $$ for a preamp upgrade (ACM), only to run "line in" w/your apogee, or possibly move to an outboard ADC and end up w/a bit bucket that has $350 worth of upgrades and tweaks that you would not use?

Regarding the Marantz levels.  they are awesome.  best iv'e seen in an LCD screen.  VERY fast.  What looks like -12, you'll see peaks jumping up at -2db.  Its very fast (response time for the meeters).  I haven't acutely used the P2, but the 671 is very slick.  nice menu.  easy to handle in the dark.  very "tweakable" w/the user presets and all.  Of these types of decks, its my favorite.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2007, 10:57:17 PM »
curious..
why spend the $$ for a preamp upgrade (ACM), only to run "line in" w/your apogee, or possibly move to an outboard ADC and end up w/a bit bucket that has $350 worth of upgrades and tweaks that you would not use?

Options!  I got a mod P2, but eventually want to run something in front of it.  It will give me 2 options, one-in-all and bit-bucket.  2 flavors in one, perhaps...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2007, 10:59:34 PM »
I suppose that would be worth it for some folks. 

Offline Gizby

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2007, 04:12:56 AM »
curious..
Because I can think of plenty of places where I wouldn't want to drag around extra equipment. An all-in-one box is quite nice. The Apogee would be for situations where I'd really want some gain or where I just want a little extra "oomph". I doubt I'd ever get an extra ADC.
Mics: DSP mod Oktava MK012s, CAD E100S (2), Studio Projects C4s, SP-CMC-2, Polsen OLM-20

Team SoCal

Offline Gizby

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2007, 08:05:59 PM »
And then there is also the Korg MR-1000, similarly priced to these two modded units. An embarassment of riches. That Korg does look sexy.

I would like to keep this thread active for awhile longer just so I can keep my mind thinking on this subject for as long as possible before putting down over a grand.

Team SoCal

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.137 seconds with 46 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com