Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09. The faulty Line In plague  (Read 8055 times)

Offline Dede2002

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Edirol R-09. The faulty Line In plague
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2007, 09:12:34 AM »
Hi there and thanks for all posts. Well, let me try to describe what's going on with my unit right now. Both imputs ( Mic and Line) presenting the same problem:if you insert the plug all the way, only one channel works. If you pull out the plug a little bit you'll find a spot where both channel works. I'm kinda concerned, because if this only a matter of soldering, I can handle the problem. My concern is that the problem is located in the jack itself.
Any thoughts? Thanks

Sergio
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2007, 09:22:36 AM »
The plug on the left is a dummy - attached to he connector for the real plug with epoxy and fiberglass. the electrical tape was used to "mold" the epoxy as it set. Not pretty but it works great.

The thing I wonder about with that approach.. The r09 has switches in the jacks that allow it to auto-select whichever input has a plug inserted.  I was wondering if there would be any negative consequences to line-in performance when running with a jack in the mic-in.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2007, 09:24:37 AM »
if you insert the plug all the way, only one channel works. If you pull out the plug a little bit you'll find a spot where both channel works.

Has it always acted that way?  Have you tried any other input plugs?  If the plug is not quite up to 'spec' in terms of insertion depth, it maybe inserting too far.

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2007, 10:47:09 AM »
if you insert the plug all the way, only one channel works. If you pull out the plug a little bit you'll find a spot where both channel works.

Has it always acted that way?  Have you tried any other input plugs?  If the plug is not quite up to 'spec' in terms of insertion depth, it maybe inserting too far.

No. Not whatsoever. It's a new behaviour. Yes, I've tried diferent plugs.
There is another thing worth mention:sometimes (when the plug is actually in the input), even without any music or sound, the right channel led will act like there is, going up and down like crazy. When thart occurs, playback shows horrible scratching noise.

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline Looney

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2007, 12:44:21 PM »
I would return it for new plugs
Church Audio Cards > CA ST-9100 > Edirol R-09

"It keeps you fit......the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food...It's all good for you!"
Bon Scott 1979

Offline manamana

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2007, 01:24:47 PM »
The plug on the left is a dummy - attached to he connector for the real plug with epoxy and fiberglass. the electrical tape was used to "mold" the epoxy as it set. Not pretty but it works great.

The thing I wonder about with that approach.. The r09 has switches in the jacks that allow it to auto-select whichever input has a plug inserted.  I was wondering if there would be any negative consequences to line-in performance when running with a jack in the mic-in.

I wondered that as well, but the manual put my fears to rest. I forget the exact language, will look it up when I get home. I've run that way for a number of shows and tests, it's always worked fine.

about the switches - Are they physical switches or is it something electrical (senses a signal)? The dummy plug makes no connections whatsoever, so if it's electrical, the device won't know anything's even in the mic-in jack.
4022s > SX-M2 > Sony M10

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2007, 01:55:20 PM »

I wondered that as well, but the manual put my fears to rest. I forget the exact language, will look it up when I get home. I've run that way for a number of shows and tests, it's always worked fine.

about the switches - Are they physical switches or is it something electrical (senses a signal)? The dummy plug makes no connections whatsoever, so if it's electrical, the device won't know anything's even in the mic-in jack.

The switch for 'plug inserted' is inside each input jack.  Works when the plug is inserted to physically push a 'normally closed' contact to be disconnected from ground (if I remember correctly) to be open sending a signal to turn on that input.

"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline manamana

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2007, 02:21:23 PM »
well, now you guys got me thinking, so I went and looked it up online. From the manual, in the section on recording mic-in:

If a cable is connected to the [LINE IN Jack], then the input from the [MIC Input Jack] is ignored.
Do not connect anything to the [LINE IN Jack].

and the section on recording line in:

If a device or cable is connected to the [LINE IN Jack], input from the microphones is disabled. Therefore,
it is not possible to mix microphone and line input during recording. If there is sound input via both the
[LINE IN Jack] and the [MIC Input Jack], only the sound from the line input is recorded.

so unless they royally screwed up, I can't see why there might be a problem.
4022s > SX-M2 > Sony M10

datgirl333

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2007, 03:07:27 PM »
There is another thing worth mention:sometimes (when the plug is actually in the input), even without any music or sound, the right channel led will act like there is, going up and down like crazy. When thart occurs, playback shows horrible scratching noise.

Hey Sergio,
Are you using a battery box with your MM HLSC-1 mics?  If so, be sure to select "condenser microphone powered by self-contained battery" during recorder setup (r9 user manual, p. 35).  Otherwise, the r9 as well as the battery box will try to power your mics, and I wonder if that might be causing the noise on the right channel even though there is no music or sound input. 
HTH.
Peace, Debra 

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2007, 06:48:52 PM »

Hey Sergio,
Are you using a battery box with your MM HLSC-1 mics?  If so, be sure to select "condenser microphone powered by self-contained battery" during recorder setup (r9 user manual, p. 35).  Otherwise, the r9 as well as the battery box will try to power your mics, and I wonder if that might be causing the noise on the right channel even though there is no music or sound input. 
HTH.
Peace, Debra 

Hi debra,

Thanks for your reply. I  don't if I understood exactly what you mean. Anyway, I'm not using the plug in power at all. The mics are being powered by the bb alone.
Thanks,

Sergio

datgirl333

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2007, 10:48:34 AM »
Sorry for the confusion caused by my unclear post, Sergio.  I just wanted to make sure your R-9 was not trying to supply plug-in power to your mics. 

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2007, 11:08:10 AM »
Sorry for the confusion caused by my unclear post, Sergio.  I just wanted to make sure your R-9 was not trying to supply plug-in power to your mics. 

No sweat. Your comments are always appreciated. ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com