Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 722 content  (Read 5058 times)

Offline nedstruzz

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
722 content
« on: July 03, 2007, 11:15:20 AM »
So I finally ran direct into the 722 last weekend forgoing the V3 and while I like the sound of the 722 pre there were several hits of major distortion. 

Now my first thought was that I was over loading the pre but when I looked at the wave form in Audition the signal was pretty hot at these distortion points but there is no way that it was an overload.  That is until the 1/4 sec zaps of distortion hit. 

Anybody else experience problems like this? 

How hard can you hit peaks before distortion should be audible with the 722?  I know the V3 is pretty much bullet proof when it comes to over loads. 

Any thoughts or previous discussions on this subject?
B&K 4023's >Neve Portico>744T

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • CAR RAMROD
Re: 722 content
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 12:33:13 PM »
What firmware? High or low gain? Level settings? HP filter engaged?
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline kgreener

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 12:35:07 PM »
also:  was the limiter engaged?

Offline trajhip2000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 12:38:43 PM »
I'm guessing you're running an earlier version of the firmware? Somewhere in the last several revisions they made a change that fixed a problem with high distortion on overs, I have found my 744T to be very forgiving after that change (sorry, I don't remember what revision had the change, but it was before 2.x).

Steve

Offline mmedley.

• CAR RAMROD
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 12:43:37 PM »
1.76 had the overload issues I think. Also, if you are running at max gain, you actually get ~ +5db more than the display reads. It becomes non-linear the last few clicks. of gain on the high and low side I think. I know there is also an issue with overloading when the HP filter is changed in one of the more recent firmwares.

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 12:46:00 PM »
Current release is 2.15.  You might want to move closer to that release or install that one.  Folks using it seem satisfied with it.  Cheers
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline nedstruzz

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 01:28:27 PM »
Cool, thanks Guys.  It must be the old Firmware.  still running 1.37 as I had no issues running with the V3. 

Just to answer previous questions.  High Gain setting, HP set at 40hz 12 per octave, no limiter. 

Is there really a difference in High vs Low Gain?  And how about that limiter?  I always preferred running the Mini Me with no limiter so I figured the same with the 722.  What do you guys think?

To get the latest and greatest firmware do I need to send the unit to SD?

Offline mwz

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 01:33:38 PM »
http://www.sounddevices.com/download/722-firmware.htm

if you want to use some of the new features (mostly ext drive related) you'll need to send the 722 in to SD for a hardware upgrade.  The latest version, 2.15, works fine on "v1" 722's though.  And fixes some of the crap you are seeing.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 01:50:18 PM »
Your problem is the HPF.

If you clip or nearly clip with the HPF engaged, horrible badness results. It is a serious bug that is downplayed by SD.

Offline nedstruzz

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 01:55:20 PM »
Your problem is the HPF.

If you clip or nearly clip with the HPF engaged, horrible badness results. It is a serious bug that is downplayed by SD.

Really, are they doing anything to fix this or are they choosing to ignore it? 

Do any of you ever use the HPF on the SD units? 

Also, can I jump from 1.37 to 2.15 without doing all the ones in between or will I be missing certain fixes?

Offline mwz

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 02:26:35 PM »
>If the firmware is being updated from revision 1.74 or earlier, the update process must be completed twice. The first time through >updates the "boot block" to a later version. The second time applies the firmware. For updates from versions later than 2.00, this two->step process is not necessary.

Offline mmedley.

• CAR RAMROD
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 02:28:02 PM »
You can upgrade firmware straight up. 1.37 > 2.15. You need to read the directions, but it is very straightforward. You will have to update, restart, it will update again and restart a 2nd time. All this is bulletproof. You can't f it up. Just follow the firmware update instructions.

I do not use a HPF at all, so I don't know much about the error. SD has acknowledged the bug and will fix it soon I bet.

There is no noticeable difference in the Hi v Lo gain. Only reason I mentioned that is because when you crank the gain all the way up to High you are getting about +5db on top of what the display says.

Offline mwz

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2007, 02:30:53 PM »
I don't use the hpf and have not really played w/ the limiter - I thought these two firmware revisions fixed the hpf and bad clipping behavior problem.

fixed - bad overload behavior from 1.60 fixed
fixed - CF no longer erroneously shows "full" after deleting files and emptying trash with a Mac
fixed - time remaining now changes properly with ext word clock
fixed - linked units now advance take simultaneously with file split
fixed - user bits now properly track take number on both hard drive and compact flash
changed - FireWire screen now says "...don't disconnect firewire cable..."
added - upon update, it now prompts the user to update the date/time
released March 24, 1006
fixed - Media Repair utility no longer flags good files as being bad.
fixed - A/D offset fix (high-pass filter, implemented in v1.57/1.58) is now applied only to analog inputs, not digital inputs.
changed - default maximum file size is now 2 GB.
released December 28, 2005

Offline nedstruzz

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2007, 02:45:57 PM »
Cool thanks guys.  I will download the new firmware this evening. 

M. with your rig how do you keep that low end under control?  I have a hard time when running my MK4's, any advice?   I don't necissarily like running the HPF but just find that I get a ton of low end from the 4's.

Offline mmedley.

• CAR RAMROD
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2007, 02:52:31 PM »
I really do not have an issue with out of control low end. Definitely not enough to warrant a HPF.  ;D

Mostly just depends on the venue and type of music I guess though. You can run the HPF on the 722, but you must record with a low gain. Try not to get in the red on the meters. Maybe hit the first set of reds on the loud parts, then normalize in post. That is really you only options at this point until SD fixes that bug....or run a pre in front.  :-\

Again, I am not sure where the overload errors occur, db wise, with the HPF so I am no help really. I never use the limiter either...unless I was at a really quiet show to help with the claps etc.

Good Luck!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com