Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How do I bring my gear in for an open-taping band?  (Read 5152 times)

Offline LastJoyRide

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: How do I bring my gear in for an open-taping band?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2022, 12:48:24 PM »
Thanks for the tips, everyone! Show ended up getting postponed but this was really useful info.

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2022, 05:33:36 PM »
Wouldn't hurt to reach out to the band and see what they think, especially if they are a smaller not so well known band.  I've done this many times and had mixed responses.  Trout Steak Revival was new on the scene and said I could tape and even gave me permission to patch the board but at this one venue the house sound man said no and to go somewhere else.  Same venue New Monsoon's sound man offered access to the board but I was testing out my new to me VMS02IB.  Saw New Monsoon again and they remembered me and offered a soundboard patch but I wanted to run the 4v's and Nbox.

A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline HealthCov Chris

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • InsideOut Recording & Promotions
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2022, 10:19:15 PM »
I'd add, google image the venue ahead of time and try to get some images around the sbd area.  It's nice to see what you are working with.  Seams that tripods are getting some shade these days, so an area to clamp can be real nice.  Also, look on Live Music Archive for other recordings at the venue you are hitting up.  Often they have the blueprint spelled out for you.  I also like to have the bands taper policy on my phone, just in case you need additional exhibits for your case.  I've had a lot of luck over the years reaching out to smaller touring bands on Facebook Messenger.  Let them know your stoked for their show, and you want to get their permission to tape it.  Be sure to tell them you will post it to their page on Live Music Archive.  Often they will leave your name at the door.  You will feel like a king walking in the venue knowing your name in on the guestlist!

And...rehearse your BS.  "It's just audio...Hell, I can't even figure out the video on my iphone"; "I record the live shows for the band"; "The band wants me to do this...I taped their Austin show last night and Houston the night before"; "You don't want Dallas to be the only show that doesn't get recorded on this tour?!".  You get the picture.  Good luck moving forward.  Just know that pre-show anxiety never goes away, and your local venues are where you build confidence, so get out as much as possible and make friends with the local sound guys.  Welcome to the Jungle!!!
LMA: https://archive.org/details/@corfit
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/insideoutrecording
Mics: AKG ck61/ck63 (nBob actives, Naiant PFA) | AKG 568 | CA-14 omni | Studio Projects B3
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6 | Zoom F3 | Roland R-07
Camera: GoPro Hero 4 Silver

Offline relefunt

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • kindfulness
    • Milwaukee Taper
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2022, 12:18:05 AM »
I hope everybody reading this who is thinking of taping DBT this year will get there early and record the opening band for much of the tour, Ryley Walker.

He is an amazing songwriter and you are going to be impressed. Plus he is enthusiastically pro-tapers. If he finds out you are taping and he offers to give you free merch because you are a taper, please do not accept. Like all musicians he needs that money.

Check him out on the live music archive, frequent posts on NYCTaper.com, and the Bandcamp page for his label, Husky Pants.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 12:20:41 AM by relefunt »
AKG c414xls, Beyerdynamic MC930, Line Audio CM3 and OM1. Superluxe S502mk2
Sneaky: Church CA11+14, Audiotechnica AT853.
Preamps: Shure FP24, CA9200.
Recorder: Sound Devices MixPre6, Roland R05, Sony M10.
my local taping blog: milwaukeetaper.com

Offline lastnightsverse

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2022, 02:00:30 AM »
I hope everybody reading this who is thinking of taping DBT this year will get there early and record the opening band for much of the tour, Ryley Walker.

He is an amazing songwriter and you are going to be impressed. Plus he is enthusiastically pro-tapers. If he finds out you are taping and he offers to give you free merch because you are a taper, please do not accept. Like all musicians he needs that money.

Check him out on the live music archive, frequent posts on NYCTaper.com, and the Bandcamp page for his label, Husky Pants.

i had tickets for a Dinosaur Jr / Ryley Walker show but it got covid'ed out.

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2022, 09:27:03 AM »

this genuinely had me laughing. +T
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline DATBoy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2022, 09:57:20 PM »
Wouldn't hurt to reach out to the band and see what they think, especially if they are a smaller not so well known band.  I've done this many times and had mixed responses.  Trout Steak Revival was new on the scene and said I could tape and even gave me permission to patch the board but at this one venue the house sound man said no and to go somewhere else.  Same venue New Monsoon's sound man offered access to the board but I was testing out my new to me VMS02IB.  Saw New Monsoon again and they remembered me and offered a soundboard patch but I wanted to run the 4v's and Nbox.

Soundmen with egos and mental illness add to a lot of anxiety that almost never goes away. Some just are in it for the control and insults to match - and I will never forget the rude ones despite being kind. It's hard to know who those are until you ask them directly. That's one of the biggest problems - you never know if you can be allowed permission to do anything unless you ask.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com