Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: RE: Nakamichi 300 shotgun issue.  (Read 2744 times)

Offline DVDean

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
RE: Nakamichi 300 shotgun issue.
« on: December 26, 2022, 05:02:10 PM »
I have Nakamichi 300 shotguns. The screwthread part of the shotgun loosened up and turns when I try to thread them together. If I get it to thread it works fine, but I certainly want it stationary. Can anyone help with a solution. Thanks. Dean

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: RE: Nakamichi 300 shotgun issue.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2022, 12:36:04 AM »
disclaimer: I am utterly unfamiliar with the Nak mic series design/construction.
If I'm understanding correctly, something is moving which should not be moving?

The joke goes that if it is supposed to move but isn't, try WD40. If it's moving but not supposed to, then use duct tape!

But even gaffer tape leaves a permanent residue if it remains in place for too long.
This is a longwinded way to ask if you ever need to remove it?
There are different types of a product called LocTite and other similar industrial adhesives, where some are so powerful they can be considered permanent, but some will allow for removal if access is needed...

Here's the Loctite page, I have not dug in to find you the right particulars, but it looks like choosing Electronics gets it to ask you what you are sticking to what!?
https://www.loctiteproducts.com/en.html

edit: Oh shoot, you need to remove these each time you change capsules? Maybe just lubricate the threads?
re-reading this, I wonder if they have two concentric threads, and one of yours is stripped but not the other? So you have a 50/50 shot at threading it on the locking one?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 12:39:07 AM by morst »
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline phil_er_up

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2022, 07:08:03 AM »
What morst wrote is pretty funny. Usually TS is a serious place and it was nice to have some humor!

=======================================================================

What about buying the part that your having a problem - either the cap or the body?

Would this work?

Nakamichi CM 300 Microphone Multi-Capsule— Excellent Condition - $175 (Lakewood)

https://denver.craigslist.org/ele/7554192630.html

No affiliation with the above just saw it on CL and thought it might be a solution for you.
Good Luck!
Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2022, 10:25:30 AM »
The danger of the thread rotating in the body is that can put tension on the internal wiring running between the capsule and amplifier.  I don't have experience with this specific micrphone, but usually there is a set screw or something that locks the threaded part into the amplifier body keeping it from rotating (that screw may have some thread locking compound like LokTite or fingernail polish applied to it to keep it from loosening).  Look for a small inset screw in the body near the threads. 
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline DVDean

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2022, 12:34:44 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion. When I get home, I will take a look.

Offline jefflester

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2022, 04:03:20 PM »
Definitely looks like there is a set screw near the thread on the CP-4 capsule, far left in this photo.

DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2023, 04:40:12 PM »
I had some missing screws on some Naks. It wasn't that difficult to find replacements. I found some round heads, not machine head, but they worked. Can't remember where I found them. That was a long time ago.

Offline mowkiss

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2023, 10:57:31 AM »
The danger of the thread rotating in the body is that can put tension on the internal wiring running between the capsule and amplifier.  I don't have experience with this specific micrphone, but usually there is a set screw or something that locks the threaded part into the amplifier body keeping it from rotating (that screw may have some thread locking compound like LokTite or fingernail polish applied to it to keep it from loosening).  Look for a small inset screw in the body near the threads. basket random
That doesn't sound easy. But I'll give it a try. I don't want to have to replace a completely new part.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2023, 04:00:15 PM »
If there is a small hole near the part-line, check it to see if there is a set-screw in there.  May just need to tighten it with a tiny screwdriver or hex key.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline mrfender

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2023, 07:49:36 PM »
Definitely looks like there is a set screw near the thread on the CP-4 capsule, far left in this photo.

There's three around the body between the threads and the vent.  And another row of three above the vent.
DR2d, DR-05, DR-22wl, DR-40, DR-44wl, DR-608, PCM-M10, Roland R-07, PCM, PCM-A10
CA-14 card/omni, AT853 cards/omni, Nak CM-300 cards/omni, Line Audio CM4

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.116 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com