Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help a newb with first recording  (Read 1935 times)

Offline Aladar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Help a newb with first recording
« on: April 25, 2010, 05:21:47 PM »
Hello,
I finally made my first tape yesteday, and I would need a bit of help with postprocessing.. First, I need to apply High Pass Filter, because there is simply too much bass, but I've no idea how much to take off without destroying the sound? I tried 80 and 100hz both at -6 and -12, and still can't decide.. I know it depends on my preferences, but.. what would you think, how much rolloff would be optimal?
And, I'm aware it's been taken too silently, so, should I boost it up somewhat? If so, what's the best way?
Here's the stuff, I hope MP3 is enough: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EK1QV6BK

Thanks a lot!!

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Help a newb with first recording
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 09:22:31 AM »
Actually, you did a very good job of setting levels in the original recording.  Your peaks are at about -3.5 dBFS which is just about perfect, depending on the recorder.

As for the bass level, that is completely subjective.  The tonal balance depends on your speakers and your room and your preference.  Do what sounds good to you and be done with it.  I agree there is too much bass, so I tried a HPF 6 dB/octave @100 Hz, and it sounded OK to me.  YMMV.

After the HPF, the peaks were at -6.5 dBFS so I’d Amplify the whole song by 6 dB.

I am using Audacity v1.3.11 for these edits.

This recording is nearly mono.  What was your mic setup?

Offline Aladar

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 05:21:48 PM »
Actually, you did a very good job of setting levels in the original recording.  Your peaks are at about -3.5 dBFS which is just about perfect, depending on the recorder.

As for the bass level, that is completely subjective.  The tonal balance depends on your speakers and your room and your preference.  Do what sounds good to you and be done with it.  I agree there is too much bass, so I tried a HPF 6 dB/octave @100 Hz, and it sounded OK to me.  YMMV.

After the HPF, the peaks were at -6.5 dBFS so I’d Amplify the whole song by 6 dB.

I am using Audacity v1.3.11 for these edits.

This recording is nearly mono.  What was your mic setup?

Thanks for the input!
Just a noobish question, how do I calculate how much Amplify filter should I use?
By mic setup, do you mean mic placements or mics used? I used CSBs, and because I have to tape semi-stealth (noone cares that I tape as long as I don't mount it somewhere), I had the mics clipped to the collar of a shirt..

Offline notlance

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 10:59:30 AM »
In Audacity, when you select the Amplify effect, a window opens that tells you how many dB you can amplify for the peaks to be at 0 dBFS.  I usually set the peak level of the concert to be -0.5 dBFS.

Other audio editing software often has a function that works is a similar manner.

Yes, you answered my question about mic placement.  Thanks.

Offline Aladar

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 11:11:53 AM »
In Audacity, when you select the Amplify effect, a window opens that tells you how many dB you can amplify for the peaks to be at 0 dBFS.  I usually set the peak level of the concert to be -0.5 dBFS.

Other audio editing software often has a function that works is a similar manner.

Yes, you answered my question about mic placement.  Thanks.

Ah, thanks. :)

Is there any way I can improve the sound by different mic placement? I mean, as long as it's mounted only on me, prefferably my shirt.. :)

Offline notlance

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 08:02:39 PM »
Sorry but your last question is outside my area of expertise since I have never recorded music with a body mounted microphone.  Perhaps if you asked the question in the “Microphones & Setup” section you would get some answers.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com