Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recording to computer or zoom h2  (Read 2282 times)

Offline hemiolacadence

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Recording to computer or zoom h2
« on: January 03, 2015, 04:06:00 PM »
I don't have a DAT dec. Ideally I want to tape concerts and be able to set up behind a soundboard, now I know that entails a battery supply. But I prefer to use a computer or the zoom and possibly broadcast concerts.

I have an 8-track interface a Audiobox 1818 VLS. It is USB 2.0. I'm imagining this is a power hog and it is large. Great for recording a demo to get bar gigs not so great for taping. I might even sell that and buy a two track interface if there is a huge difference in sound quality, you can do everything from a scratch anyways. But I am working full time until summer, no bills the time is now.

I will be using two AKG C 414 XLS microphones. My computer has a SDC port that can read a zoom recording to one of these cards.

I'm limited to USB on my computer or a line input on the zoom. The 1818 VSL is huge. What do you all recommend? I probably won't sell it but it lacks mobility, a computer does as well. I know DAT is great for archive but then I have to convert it too much money and work.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm guessing DAT has always been preferred for archival purposes and the ability to accept a digital signal, which the zoom cannot do. So pros and cons I'm working full time until summer so hopefully I'll be set up by then.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 05:08:14 PM by hemiolacadence »

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Recording to computer or zoom h2
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 08:10:14 PM »
The problems with recording with a computer include having enough power to last an entire concert, having the interface plus the computer to deal with, the size factor, and the general issue that an all in one recorder tends to be less of a problem and more dependable.

Three options immediately come to mind.  Tascam DR60d (two XLR inputs with phantom power plus one 1/8 stereo in covering your soundboard feed.  It's about $169. 

For $199, you can get the Tascam DR60d MKII with supposedly better preamps.

For $299, you can get the Tascam DR70d with four XLR inputs with phantom power.   Improved preamps/much smaller case/can handle larger SD cards.   B & H photo was also including a free copy of Sony Soundforge Pro including some audio clean up tools from Izotope in this deal, too, recently. 

Any of these will connect to your computer via USB to download files.   

Buy a 5v cellphone battery of 10,000 mah or more, and you're set for power for hours. 

There are threads here on each of these recorders. 

Marshall7

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 11:53:42 PM »
Why would you even mention DAT?  A few rare tapers still use DAT recorders, but the technology is seriously outdated.  Pretty hard to even find blank DAT tapes now.

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 11:59:48 AM »
The major problem with DATs are reliability (flawed tapes, digisnits, etc).  And perhaps also the two channels since you'd have to mix down on the fly.   

Problems with computers are power and similar sorts of unreliability (interface connectivity, freezeups, etc). 

I'd go with a reliable multichannel digital recorder (assuming you'd prefer to have both the raw feeds).  There are a number out there.  Had I needed it I would have pounced on one of the Roland R-4/R-44's that have been up here.  There was one used one just here in the Yard Sale for less than the best of those Tascams mentioned above...  That was a real bargain.  Totally rock solid, small size, run forever with an outboard DVD battery, phantom power for your mics, nice preamps.  If you only want a two channel mixdown get a Sony recorder... 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline hemiolacadence

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 09:39:37 PM »
Thanks you guys rock

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com