Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Nak CR2A azimuth adjustment?  (Read 5600 times)

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Nak CR2A azimuth adjustment?
« on: January 25, 2010, 11:08:49 AM »
i've seen a similar thread here about the cr5a.  is the cr-2a the same?  my dad has an old cr-2a and I might be doing a few cassette transfers and I'm looking to find out which screw is the one I want to mess with

Offline tilomagnet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Nak CR2A azimuth adjustment?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 01:38:55 PM »
the head block should look different since the CR-2 is a two head deck vs. three discrete heads on a CR-5. On three head Naks the PB azimuth adjustment screw is the one on the far right, NOT the one directly below the head which is for height adjustment.

You might want to check the service manual first before messing with those adjustments. If you pick the wrong screw, the deck needs to go to the service center.

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 07:26:43 PM »
thanks.  i'm not sure which one and I can't find a service manual.  regular manual didn't say anything

here's a phone camera pic of the inside.  any thoughts?

runonce

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 08:30:00 AM »
thanks.  i'm not sure which one and I can't find a service manual.  regular manual didn't say anything

here's a phone camera pic of the inside.  any thoughts?

Not sure the manual will be any help as Im doubt Nak considered this to be something the user would be fiddling with.

Look for a spring behind the screw...and some screw lock (like fingernail polish) might also be a clue -  You might have to crack the seal if its locked.

Your pic isnt so hot - Id pick left...Not sure there is any penalty for getting the wrong screw...probably depends on the transport.

Offline scb

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 08:35:44 AM »
there's a spring behind the left screw (the one with a slight green color in the picture).  that's what I was figuring when I first looked at it

edit: actually, there's a diagram in "Cleaning" section of the cr-2 manual online that looks like this
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 08:39:15 AM by scb »

Offline tilomagnet

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 11:53:03 AM »
Hmm, you might be correct that it's the "green" screw to the left of the head, the one on the right looks like it's for adjusting the tape guide....

Problem is that if you accidently pick the screw for height adjustement or tape guide, these settings can't be restored "by ear" once they've been changed....need calibration tapes to get them back.

What are you trying to transfer? Precious tapes? If not, you might want to mark the current settings of the screw and see/hear what it does when turning them, but better find someone who has done azimuth adj. on these decks before and ask them or call a Nak technician. There are still a few left.

Offline scb

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 06:33:28 PM »
tried the "green" screw as a tape was playing.  turning left made it muddier and made the soundstage move left.  turning right made soundstage muddier and made soundstage move right. 

runonce

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 08:49:18 AM »
tried the "green" screw as a tape was playing.  turning left made it muddier and made the soundstage move left.  turning right made soundstage muddier and made soundstage move right.

Thats the one...you want to listen to the treble - it will come into focus and become nice and sharp when you have the azimuth tracking properly.

Easily done by ear...you'll know when it's right.

Adjust it for each tape you transfer.

Offline scb

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 10:09:29 AM »
yep, actually didn't really need adjusting on the 4 tapes i tried last night.  they all seemed good as is

thanks for the help everyone

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 12:32:49 PM »
The other thing to take into consideration.. Unless this thing has been through and earthquake  the little tiny screw is going to stay where it is and you dont need to adjust this at all.. Many people adjust things that dont need adjustment. That little screw is not going to move by it self. So adjusting it seems pointless. Unless :) Someone has already adjusted it before you got it  ;)
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

runonce

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 01:03:20 PM »
The other thing to take into consideration.. Unless this thing has been through and earthquake  the little tiny screw is going to stay where it is and you dont need to adjust this at all.. Many people adjust things that dont need adjustment. That little screw is not going to move by it self. So adjusting it seems pointless. Unless :) Someone has already adjusted it before you got it  ;)

I think the idea is: not every tape deck in the world is exactly perfectly calibrated to a standard. He's trying to match the mastering deck's alignment and not a "standard"

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 01:05:33 PM »

I think the idea is: not every tape deck in the world is exactly perfectly calibrated to a standard. He's trying to match the mastering deck's alignment and not a "standard"

Well the problem with that is if you dont stick to a standard you dont have a deck that can play back anything properly. And doing a proper alignment is not a do it your self kinda job never was never will be.

Chris

Offline tilomagnet

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2010, 02:05:58 PM »

Well the problem with that is if you dont stick to a standard you dont have a deck that can play back anything properly. And doing a proper alignment is not a do it your self kinda job never was never will be.

Chris

You obviously have never transfered a bulk of tapes made on other decks (i.e. different units from your playback deck).... ;)

It's not about getting the az. 100% calibrated to specs, but to match the (mis-) alignment of the head in the deck the tape was recorded on. That is what makes a proper cassette transfer.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 01:21:25 AM »

Chris

You obviously have never transfered a bulk of tapes made on other decks (i.e. different units from your playback deck).... ;)

It's not about getting the az. 100% calibrated to specs, but to match the (mis-) alignment of the head in the deck the tape was recorded on. That is what makes a proper cassette transfer.

Actually since I have been a sound engineer for more then 20 years now... I think I have transferred a few tapes in my day. I think you are missing my point.. Because there is no standard  that many decks are out.. The problem is exacerbated by people that don't use proper alignment tapes BEFORE THEY PRESS RECORD in the first place..   That has created this problem in the first place.  ;)

runonce

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 08:04:52 AM »

Chris

Actually since I have been a sound engineer for more then 20 years now... I think I have transferred a few tapes in my day. I think you are missing my point.. Because there is no standard  that many decks are out.. The problem is exacerbated by people that don't use proper alignment tapes BEFORE THEY PRESS RECORD in the first place..   That has created this problem in the first place.  ;)

Point?

Thanks captain obvious...stick with the facts of this situation...

Our collections are from disparate sources, and few of us ever messed with the factory calibration on our decks. We are trying to extract that info as accurately as possible...by aligning the tape to the playback deck.

While your at it - ask Nakamichi and have them explain why they built the Dragon. What fools they must be!

Unless you have anything helpful for the OP - go back to making microphones!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com