Gear / Technical Help > Cables

Cable management

(1/4) > >>

ts:
So when tech flex or spaced out small pieces of shrink wrap isn't an option for tidying up 12 - 15 feet of cable, what else? I hate zip ties and Velcro straps :shrug:

wvmaine:
I used electrical tape at small intervals a long time ago and it worked fine. Very secure, flexible and was easy to remove.  This worked great when I was hanging my mics at a local club.  I was using two 20 ft xlr. Eventually moved on to a custom gakcable two channel snake.

fireonshakedwnstreet:
I couldn't deal with the cables anymore so am using an 8 channel snake now.

Gutbucket:
Why not techflex?  It comes in a couple different basic forms- 1) The standard seamless weave type, feed the cables in from one end, out the other; 2) The split down its full length type, into which the cables are fed in from the side, which relies on hoop-springiness to wrap itself closed with some overlap.

The first is more permanent, but can be re-rigged if needed.  I use that to bundle 8 channels of individual microphone cables into a single snake, fixing the ends with velcro ties instead of heatshrink so I can re-configure as necessary (at home, not at the gig).  A larger diameter that is bit loose is way easier to thread than a smaller diameter that is a bit tight.

The second may be better if you intend to re-rig frequently, or install it in place without disconnection.  I've not used it myself, nor sure of how easy or difficult it is to add or remove a cable.  It's probably a bit stiffer since it wraps over itself.

Gutbucket:
There are also balistic nylon (actually polyester I assume) fabric covers that wrap around the bundle and are secured with a long thin strip of velcro sewn along the full length of the snake.  Cable entry from the side again, but probably easier to reconfigure as needed at the venue since the fabric cover won't try to spring shut while inserting a cable.  Techflex makes those too I think.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version