Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: miniDSP AmbiMIK-1 Ambisonic Mic  (Read 7934 times)

Offline MIQ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Stereo Mic Tools
miniDSP AmbiMIK-1 Ambisonic Mic
« on: May 09, 2020, 04:45:34 PM »
I saw this new ambi mic from miniDSP this week.  Wondered if anyone else was checking it out?  Connects directly via USB cable.  https://www.minidsp.com/products/acoustic-measurement/ambimik-1  It looks neat.

127dBSPL Max

DIRAC software for conversions.  B format or Binaural outputs.

VST plugin with unique calibration.

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
  • Sound Recordist for Film/TV in New Zealand
    • IronFilm
Re: miniDSP AmbiMIK-1 Ambisonic Mic
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 10:43:10 AM »
That was an emotional rollercoaster:

EXCITEMENT! "This is a very affordable ambisonics mic"

disappointment.... "oh dear, it is a USB mic"

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 12:01:59 PM »
Wondering if it can be used directly into a phone..
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 01:09:04 PM »
Wondering if it can be used directly into a phone..

From the specs:

USB Audio   
Linux/OSx/Android Driverless

ASIO compatible driver for Windows

iOS support with USB camera adaptor  (This is how the output of the new Sonosax M2D2 goes into an iPhone.  But what recorder app will do 4 channel 32 bit up to 192 kHz??)

However the VST plugin that controls it is only Windows/Mac.

??

Offline MIQ

• Taperssection Regular
    • Stereo Mic Tools
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 09:54:51 PM »

But what recorder app will do 4 channel 32 bit up to 192 kHz??)

Auria will do 24/96 multi-channel on the iPad but I don't know if it will recognize the AmbiMIK-1. 

I still don't see much multi-channel audio (beyond stereo) on the iPhone yet.  The Mofonix app I use for in ear monitor mixing will create multi-channel mixes on the iPhone but its tight if you are looking at more than one mix.  Looks better on an iPad.  Doesn't record yet.

https://mofonix.com/mofonix-app.html
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 10:00:16 PM by MIQ »

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2020, 11:07:07 PM »
its really difficult to do more than a few channels on ios lightning connector due to bus power limitations
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline MIQ

• Taperssection Regular
    • Stereo Mic Tools
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2020, 12:13:05 AM »
its really difficult to do more than a few channels on ios lightning connector due to bus power limitations

I don't think Core Audio (the audio engine in Apple products) has any channel limitations for the lightning connector and the processors in most phones these days are plenty powerful to do many channels of audio.  If you get the $40 Apple camera connection kit with the charger port, buss power is not an issue at all.  I run 24 channels in, 24 out, with my Motu Ultralight Mk4 connected to an iPad or iPhone running the Mofonix App almost every day without any issues.  The buss powers the iPad, the Motu plugs into the wall.  You could power the iPad with a USB battery supply connected to the camera kit if you really wanted to, but you still need to plug the Motu into the wall or find another way to power it. 
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 12:21:00 AM by MIQ »

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2020, 12:18:22 AM »
that motu doesnt look bus-powered to me. theres a 15V DC jack on the back
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline MIQ

• Taperssection Regular
    • Stereo Mic Tools
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2020, 12:23:32 AM »
Yes I noted that, but that's how the device is powered.  I can't change that.  It's not the lightning connector that reduces the channel count is my point.  If you want to be battery powered with multi-channel audio on an iOS device you can do it.  It's not the lightning connector holding it back.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2020, 12:35:23 AM »
Yes I noted that, but that's how the device is powered.  I can't change that.  It's not the lightning connector that reduces the channel count is my point.  If you want to be battery powered with multi-channel audio on an iOS device you can do it.  It's not the lightning connector holding it back.

again, bus power was the only limitation that i mentioned. im not aware of any 4 channel bus-powered devices

there are numerous devices like the motu that dont require bus power and work with OS

Offline MIQ

• Taperssection Regular
    • Stereo Mic Tools
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2020, 01:00:01 AM »
Sure, using the USB buss as a power source for the audio interface is not going to take you very far.  Are you expecting the iPhone or iPad to power your multi-channel interface? 

My point is that enabling multi-channel data on the lightning connector doesn't have anything to do with the buss power limitations.  As you noted, powering a multi-channel device with P48, a bunch of LEDs etc from USB power using the same lightning connector is not possible since it can't support that kind of power draw.

Motu Microbook II is 4 channel in "bus powered" but I think you still have to plug it into another USB port to give it enough power.  https://motu.com/products/motuaudio/microbook

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2020, 01:15:25 AM »
Sure, using the USB buss as a power source for the audio interface is not going to take you very far.  Are you expecting the iPhone or iPad to power your multi-channel interface? 

no, hence the post. I'm quite impressed that it can power 2 condenser mics a gain stage, and an ADC like with the d:vice, but thats nearing the limit of the power available

Offline MIQ

• Taperssection Regular
    • Stereo Mic Tools
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2020, 01:31:24 AM »
Yea d:vice is really neat.  I wish I could afford one.  ;D  This thread’s Ambi Mic with built in electrets and a2ds integrated inside the mic may have a chance of being buss powered like the d:vice. 

Offline Len Moskowitz (Core Sound)

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Core Sound
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2020, 10:50:09 AM »
It's a first-order, generically calibrated microphone. For $349.

With a bit of luck, as a microphone it'll perform slightly better than the Zoom H3-VR recorder, but without the integral recorder. The Zoom retails for $249.
Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com

Offline MIQ

• Taperssection Regular
    • Stereo Mic Tools
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2020, 01:52:22 PM »
Len,

When you write "generically calibrated mic", what does that mean?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com