Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: mkw problems  (Read 11025 times)

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
  • Needs to get out more...
mkw problems
« on: December 09, 2002, 01:45:48 PM »
i have been getting an error when trying to convert wavs to shn. I use xp and have done the compatibility swap indicated on the etree page but I still have problems, I get an error message that says error reported by Shorten DLL: H(square)vto(square)rt(funky e)

any help?
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
Re:mkw problems
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2002, 01:52:13 PM »
Trey,  I've gotten plenty of similar errors... incomprehensible they are.  My suggestion, just start working in .ape... its just as easy and free and better compression for the most part

Jonny

Offline twoodruff

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2002, 02:00:24 PM »
Trey,  I've gotten plenty of similar errors... incomprehensible they are.  My suggestion, just start working in .ape... its just as easy and free and better compression for the most part

Jonny

where is it available? will it be useful to use it in just 16/44.1 files?
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

jpschust

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2002, 02:20:25 PM »
i think its more useful in a sense as  you can use it in all ranges -- 16/44, 24/48, 24/96 etc

you can get it at http://www.monkeysaudio.com

Offline twoodruff

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2002, 03:16:24 PM »
does .ape have a simple ape>wav conversion process and is it as user friendly? just wondering for others when i upload to their sites. and ape is free correct?
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

jpschust

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2002, 03:35:27 PM »
yes to all of the above :-)

DaryanLenz

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2002, 03:50:28 PM »
Another option is .flac, which is more readily accepted if you play around with the etree elitists!  I use flac for just about everything, and it is supported in winamp and other audion programs which is key for me.  Plus it is a hell of a lot faster at compressing, encoding etc!

Just some FYI

Daryan

I think it can be found at

http://wiki.etree.org

Offline d swing

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2002, 05:05:36 PM »
.ape is also supported in winamp.  When you install the software it'll ask you if you want to install the winamp plugin.  Just click yes and you're ready to listen to your .apes via winamp.

Offline twoodruff

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2002, 05:23:08 PM »
ok I think I m switching to ape, hope the siteops dont mind
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline JeffK

• Taperssection Member
  • ...just a little split off center than the most
    • umphreaks!
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2002, 06:48:12 PM »
.ape is only supported in windows, iirc.  flac or shn will work on just about every OS.  

My suggestions to you would be, in this order:

1)  checkout the help forum over at http://forums.etree.org and see if somebody has a quick fix for your problem.  shn is still the most commonly used lossless audio compression format, don't give up on it so easilly.
2)  download and use flac.  http://mikewren.com/flac/ has a quick installer that includes a frontend GUI interface to make working with flac files very easy.

I basically wrote off .ape a while back when there were no plans to make it useful on non-m$ operating systems.  I now see that a linux port is in the works, and that the source code is available.  I'd guess that a Mac version would be available soon then as well, but until then, I'd really suggest sticking with shn or flac for their cross-platform support.

jpschust

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2002, 07:24:43 PM »
jeff, honestly, im going to slowly be moving my server to ape only files.  im really intent on making this compression scheme the compression scheme for archiving. from my use of it i think its just a better designed system to compress.  flac and shn dont impress me compared to this.

Offline JeffK

• Taperssection Member
    • umphreaks!
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2002, 10:54:32 PM »
didn't I just read you were moving to all Macs?  is there a Mac version of monkeys right now?  I don't think so... at least not from a quick browse of their website :)

what makes you think that monkeys is a "better designed system?"  all of the algorithms (shn/flac/ape) do the same thing, and have similar tools to do so... I guess I just don't see why one would stand out over the other, unless you were talking compression ratios/speed of compression.

jpschust

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2002, 11:44:43 PM »
I dig how monkey is layed out... very nice simple design with pretty pictures... also that high compression rate is nice... and the mac version will come in time :-)

Offline Roose

• Taperssection Regular
  • come on and bounce baby bounce
    • My Cd List
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2002, 11:43:06 PM »
I hate the MKWAct tool.

IT STINKS!!  Can't the guy update it? I mean now it's on www.livephish.com and the program has a ton of bugs.

mine hardly works.  I need to start my computer offline and disable my Virus and Firewall software, and then it will open.
Behave like your Mother is watching.

Offline d swing

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2002, 01:35:11 AM »
Just curious...what are your problems with /MKW??  I don't really see a need to upgrade.  I have had very few problems with it.

Offline JeffK

• Taperssection Member
    • umphreaks!
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2002, 04:06:24 AM »
FYI, Michael is VERY sick, and doesn't spend his time updating a FREE piece of software.  Hopefully he'll be able to update soon, but if I were him I'd be much more worried about my own physical condition.

Offline twoodruff

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2002, 09:59:13 AM »
Thanks for the facts JeffK, I had no idear, hope he gets well soon, I found a solution, yet not one that includes me using mkw any more. I am using flac and ape files now. Hope everyone has a good holiday.

Trey
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.135 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com