Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices USBPre 2  (Read 130075 times)

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Sound Devices USBPre 2
« Reply #105 on: October 26, 2010, 04:37:44 AM »
probably not!

That's technology for you!

it's all relative to the noise floor though- at a quoted -127bBu that's some peformance...!

Well, then tentatively we have a discrepency; If they are the same pre-amps as the early 7 series boxes had, then I don't think you would get 80db (unless something has changed in which case the question turns to what else was affected?). So are they new (a 3rd generation different from the entre 7 series line) or is it a typo?

Actually when SD emailed me regarding the preamp and AD they only told me that they had to do something with the preamp in order to have it run at lower voltage. So the preamp is not exactly the same. They did state that the AD converter is the same as the 7 series recorders. So maybe that's the reason why the dynamic range of the AD @ 24-bit resolution is 114 dB (same as the 722 and the 702). They didn't say the preamp was better or worse - they just stated that they changed it slightly so they can run at a lower voltage.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 04:44:43 AM by scyue »
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline andromedanwarmachine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • waiting for the perfect thunder storm
« Reply #106 on: October 26, 2010, 05:45:04 AM »
that makes sense...
Phillips N2233 "full auto shutoff"> Aiwa HSF-150 (x2)> Sony WM-D6C (x2)> Sony TCD-D3> Sony MZ-R3> Marantz PMD-650> Sony MZ-RH1> HHB Portadisc> Macbook 13"& M-box 2 +ProTools 8! and now Nagra LB!

http://soundcloud.com/andromedanwarmachine
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-scotland
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-the-world

kirk97132

« Reply #107 on: October 26, 2010, 04:30:24 PM »
(just speccing up my next rig here!)

Could I use an FR2-LE with a USB pre 2 through USB connection?

Using the USB pre 2 as a front end for the Fostex, feeding it through USB...?

Probably more of a Fostex question than a Sound Devices question...

I'm not sure about the Fostex, but with Edirol and Tascam units, if they are in USB mode they read as a harddrive, not as a recorder.  All of their controls are locked out so recording is probably unlikely if it functions anything like those other units. 

Offline tracker

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #108 on: October 27, 2010, 01:01:36 AM »
i think for running 2 units at once you'd still need to run it through an aggregator right?

otherwise how would the computer tell between 1&2 on A and 1&2 on B?

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #109 on: October 27, 2010, 12:52:17 PM »
Would the USBpre 2 run from an AC wall outlet with this type of adapter?

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/travelpower/9124/

"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #110 on: October 27, 2010, 03:20:18 PM »
well the current and voltage match what the usb2 requires so I think it would. any second opinions?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline SClassical

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #111 on: October 27, 2010, 06:33:41 PM »
Yes it will work... It's like the MT adapters. The adapters are much cheaper than the 4pin adapters they use for their other preamp/recorders.
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #112 on: October 27, 2010, 07:47:16 PM »
Yes it will work... It's like the MT adapters. The adapters are much cheaper than the 4pin adapters they use for their other preamp/recorders.

Hi scyue,

I notice you record classical music. I'm putting together a setup to record acoustic grand piano in a semi-permanent situation (i.e., I don't really need a portable rig).

Would the mic pres in the USBPre 2 work well enough for that purpose? How would they compare to your more expensive units like the Grace and the Millenia?

I'd be going AKG 414's to a preamp with digital out and into the Sony D50 digital input.

Thanks,

Phillip
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 08:01:35 PM by Dogmusic »
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline andromedanwarmachine

• Taperssection Member
  • waiting for the perfect thunder storm
« Reply #113 on: October 28, 2010, 05:31:38 AM »
Hey Dogmusic-

I'm unfamiliar with the Grace and Millenia pre-amps you describe but can tell you that the Sound Devices stuff is industry-standard proprietary gathering hardware and that it will be up to the job, no problem...

JimP
Phillips N2233 "full auto shutoff"> Aiwa HSF-150 (x2)> Sony WM-D6C (x2)> Sony TCD-D3> Sony MZ-R3> Marantz PMD-650> Sony MZ-RH1> HHB Portadisc> Macbook 13"& M-box 2 +ProTools 8! and now Nagra LB!

http://soundcloud.com/andromedanwarmachine
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-scotland
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-the-world

Offline tracker

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #114 on: October 28, 2010, 08:05:56 AM »
indeed, loads of people use SD for classical work, and the choice between say grace, millenia, dav or SD's pre's would be more down to personal taste rather than quality.

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #115 on: October 29, 2010, 02:46:56 PM »
On Wednesday, I asked my local vendor to check about availability and this is what he told me:

"1st units shipping end of this month...New orders, ... Mid-November"

Anyone hear anything different?

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #116 on: October 29, 2010, 03:48:43 PM »
well i guess it matters where you order from. Full compass is only an hour away from SD HQ so I figure they would be able to fill their backstock the quickest. I wouldn't be surprised in the release/ship date gets pushed back just a little by a week or so.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

kirk97132

« Reply #117 on: October 29, 2010, 03:54:19 PM »

As for the power step down, I have two things driving my ideas.  1. I need 12 volts for an Apogee AD-1000.  2. I already own 3 DVD batteries.  So stepping it down from 18 volts ( two dvd batteries in series) is most economical way to go.  In fact I have completed that set up, I'll post pictures.    Stepping down a single DVD battery to 5 volts, again, most economical since I don't have to purchase batteries.  I am in the middle of building that item now.  I will post pictures of that when it's done.    If I were to buy a battery I would buy the battery I linked to which would provide both 12 volt AND 5 volt satisfying both of my needs.  If I were to build from scratch, I can see the benefits of stepping down from 12 volts for longer life, but then the regulator will need to be able to dissipate more heat and would require heat sinks of some sort.  Right now the converter I envision will allow for the 9 volt dvd battery ( already own) to be used and power both the 5 volt units and the units I am already powering at 9 volts.  It will have hot swap capabilities and I will probably include a polarity switch since I may use an Edirol unit which would require a center pin negative.   I am trying to not buy more batteries if I can avoid it and know enough to be able to build a voltage regulator.  Here are Pictures of the one for the Apogee.A little hard to see since I heat shrinked thinks to keep them in place and to prevent shorts.  I had to cut down the strain relief to allow room for the voltage regulator to fit inside the XLR housing, so I used some clear shrink wrap to secure it in place........

UPDATE to adapter:  creating a new tread in remote power to keep this thread on topic:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=140355.0

Offline SClassical

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #118 on: October 31, 2010, 03:33:10 AM »

Hi scyue,

I notice you record classical music. I'm putting together a setup to record acoustic grand piano in a semi-permanent situation (i.e., I don't really need a portable rig).

Would the mic pres in the USBPre 2 work well enough for that purpose? How would they compare to your more expensive units like the Grace and the Millenia?

I'd be going AKG 414's to a preamp with digital out and into the Sony D50 digital input.

Thanks,

Phillip

Hi Phillip,
I think you will be fine with using USBPre2 because I sometimes use SD722 only without any external preamp. SD preamp is very good and I only use the external for serious work that is for distributing to a large audience. But for a straight forward job using the SD is good enough. One thing to remember is the preamp/AD is only a fraction of what makes your recording sound great. Your mics and how they are setup is just as important and also the venue's acoustics and how well the piano and pianist is can determine the overall outcome of a recording. But I think you will be fine. You might want to consider upgrading your mics in the future because AKG even though they are good usually people use a pair of matched DPA, Schoeps or Neumann omni mics. I know an engineer who uses AKG414 into a Apogee miniME all the time in his sessions..even though his recordings are okay the quality can never beat a DPA/Schoeps>Grace/Millennia>SD722 combo. Good luck and you should be fine for all your piano recordings.. FYI read (only) what Richard King (an award winning classical engineer for Sony Classical) say about recording classical piano:

http://mixguides.com/microphones/tips_and_techniques/audio_recording_piano_november_2/

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #119 on: October 31, 2010, 10:00:42 AM »

Hi scyue,

Thanks,

Phillip

Hi Phillip,
I think you will be fine with using USBPre2 because I sometimes use SD722 only without any external preamp. SD preamp is very good and I only use the external for serious work that is for distributing to a large audience. But for a straight forward job using the SD is good enough. One thing to remember is the preamp/AD is only a fraction of what makes your recording sound great. Your mics and how they are setup is just as important and also the venue's acoustics and how well the piano and pianist is can determine the overall outcome of a recording. But I think you will be fine. You might want to consider upgrading your mics in the future because AKG even though they are good usually people use a pair of matched DPA, Schoeps or Neumann omni mics. I know an engineer who uses AKG414 into a Apogee miniME all the time in his sessions..even though his recordings are okay the quality can never beat a DPA/Schoeps>Grace/Millennia>SD722 combo. Good luck and you should be fine for all your piano recordings.. FYI read (only) what Richard King (an award winning classical engineer for Sony Classical) say about recording classical piano:

http://mixguides.com/microphones/tips_and_techniques/audio_recording_piano_november_2/

Hi scyue,

Thanks very much for that information. It tells me that for critical recordings, a Millenia preamp would be preferred, and that is what I needed to know. We always hope that we can find a less expensive piece of gear that will do the job of high end equipment.

I have read before that MIX article on recording piano and there is excellent advice from all the producer/engineers. One disagreement I have with Richard King is that he records the treble (high notes) of the piano on the left side of the stereo image, which I think is contrary to human psychology and experience --- and drives piano players nuts!

Thanks to tracker and JimP for your advice.

Best,

Phillip

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com