Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices USBPre 2  (Read 128399 times)

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • made with natural flavor
Re: Sound Devices USBPre 2
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2010, 07:38:05 PM »
^It's only his second post......  let's not run him out of town with our "dream machine" ideas yet.   ;)
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2010, 08:57:32 PM »
So just an FYI, in  my opinion you'd be foolish to purchase this unit from Prosound.  They did not answer my emails regarding a refund after they told me that they would not honor their original price of $549.  The owner first said he would mail a check and then called back to tell me that what he read here on Taperssection makes him think I am out to rip him off and was hesitant to mail a check. I tried to get in touch via e-mail where there is a paper trail but I got nothing.  So now we go the paypal way to get my money back.  Shady stuff to be sure.  Like they say, if it looks too good to be true it probably is. 

Offline tracker

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2010, 10:34:32 PM »
lol, riiight,.... you sent HIM money for something he said he could deliver, error or not, and you're the one that's out to rip him off?!

classic!

anyway, back to the usbpre2,.... i'm surprised that we havent heard from any beta-testers yet.

asio4all does on PC what aggregate device does on Mac,.... no idea how well it performs though.

kirk97132

« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2010, 11:08:03 AM »
Nic from SD has been great about getting the off the books info all us tech nerds want.  He even is passing on our suggestions, one of mine was have the unit able to accept external clocking.  But don't bury him with every single idea all at once.   It's great that a company is not only willing to answer questions but listens to our ideas! 

As for powering the unit, I plan on making a cable that has the voltage regulator(mentioned previously) inline so that it will operate off the same 9V dvd batteries I use now.  Would be really cool if somehow SD made it able to accept 9V on the USB bus.  As for the difference in preamps between the 744 and the 788 is there really that big of a difference?  Maybe some of the folks running those could chime in, but I think we all agree that there is nothing wrong with the 744 style preamp.  And for me it just is such a perfect fit matched with the Tascam 680.  Especially the size making it so easy to pack.

Offline NicStage

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Sound Devices, LLC Support
    • Sound Devices
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2010, 12:09:49 PM »
Since it is also able to operate as a interface on the computer, the powering requirements are going to be identical. Specifically: 5V +/- 10%, 500mA max draw. So it will need a regulated 5 Volts on standard USB wiring from a power supply that can give it 500 mA at any given time. I've actually gleaned a lot of information about powering solutions from this thread. A lot of our customers are in the film and television field and they are used to powering solutions like 14V NP-1 batteries, 7V L-Series batteries, etc. and they are inquiring a lot about how to power the USBPre 2 in the field for stand-alone use.

I wonder how the D/A (and headphone out) is on the unit.

There is a lot of headroom on the headphone output and it is very clean. It is fully capable of driving even some of the really high-impedance headphones to very high levels. It will feel familiar to anyone who has experience with the headphone amps in our other products.

Is there any more word about when the big dealers will start selling this and the actual release date?

Mid to late October is when retail stock should begin arriving to our resellers.

is there any word if you can use the RCA outputs and the Coax out at the same time??

The stereo signal from the internal bus is sent to all outputs simultaneously. You can send 2 channels out S/PDIF optical, 2 channels out S/PDIF coax, 2 channels out balanced XLR, 2 channels out unbalanced RCA, and 2 channels out both headphone outputs all at the same time.

Great to see SD post here!  Now how about an upgraded 744 with four pre's instead of two...  :P

That's a request I hear more than occasionally. I'll certainly pass it along.
Sound Devices, LLC Support

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2010, 03:58:53 PM »
And for y'all that don't need all the features of the USBPre 2, it seems to me that I'm already seeing more USBPres on eBay.  It's like when the 552 came out a bunch of 442s appeared for sale.  It might be a good time to pick up the earlier version of the USBPre.

kirk97132

« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2010, 04:28:30 PM »
I take it the USBpre cannot be powered without a computer at all....or we would have heard about it right?

Offline tracker

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2010, 07:58:52 PM »
someone else noticed this,....

Nic is that a USB 3 port?

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2010, 03:11:31 AM »
I take it the USBpre cannot be powered without a computer at all....or we would have heard about it right?
You're right. WEll technically you can feed it with power, but it relies on the data communication with the computer, preventing standalone use.

Still a neat rig if you pair a legacy USBpre with a small netbook.
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline NicStage

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Sound Devices
« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2010, 10:21:56 AM »
You guys are right on regarding the original USBPre: It needs to be connected to a computer with properly installed drivers in order for its firmware to boot up. The only signal path through the original USBPre that didn't go through the computer was out to the headphones, so it doesn't have any practical stand-alone functionality. While definitely a much older design (It was one of the first USB powered interfaces that also supplied phantom power) the quality of the preamps is still what you would expect from Sound Devices products.

The USBPre 2 is compatible with USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 specifications. We use the physical USB 3.0 connector because we found it to be a more robust connector that will be stronger than the original connector. USB 3.0 wouldn't provide a benefit for the USBPre 2, since it's only pushing 4 channels of audio at most (2 in, 2 out).
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 11:36:52 AM by NicStage »

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2010, 10:22:17 PM »
So just an FYI, in  my opinion you'd be foolish to purchase this unit from Prosound.  They did not answer my emails regarding a refund after they told me that they would not honor their original price of $549.  The owner first said he would mail a check and then called back to tell me that what he read here on Taperssection makes him think I am out to rip him off and was hesitant to mail a check. I tried to get in touch via e-mail where there is a paper trail but I got nothing.  So now we go the paypal way to get my money back.  Shady stuff to be sure.  Like they say, if it looks too good to be true it probably is.

I have had lots of positive transactions with ProSound. They are one of the nations leaders in location sound sales. I can tell you that whatever happened was probably miscommunication from Sound Devices. The sales manager is a taper and is a stand up guy.

kirk97132

« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2010, 01:21:09 PM »

I have had lots of positive transactions with ProSound. They are one of the nations leaders in location sound sales. I can tell you that whatever happened was probably miscommunication from Sound Devices. The sales manager is a taper and is a stand up guy.

Thanks for your input Louie, but my own experience was awfully bad.  Sound Devices had absolutely NOTHING to do with the problems that arose.  Maybe there was a pricing error or maybe there wasn't who knows?  When it came time to get my money back to me the owner choose not to do what he originally said he was going to do in order to ensure I got a complete refund.  Instead, I had to file a claim with Paypal to get my money refunded to me.    It was the manner in which it was handled, the accusations that were put forth and their lack of response to my e-mails that are at the root of the issues.  Not whether the price was right or wrong from the manufacturer.  Long story short, I'd never do business with them or recommend them at this point.  FWIW, it was the owner, or at least someone who identified himself as the owner and not the sales manager you speak of.   I never spoke with the sales manager.  I've got my order in at Full Compass with Adam and will be expecting delivery as soon as they hit the stores.   

Offline NicStage

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Sound Devices
« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2010, 12:10:25 PM »
He even is passing on our suggestions, one of mine was have the unit able to accept external clocking.

This feature has been included for release. Mostly due to discussions here and some feedback from other users as well. :)

Here's the updated user guide: http://sounddevices.com/download/guides/USBPre2_en.pdf

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #73 on: October 19, 2010, 12:25:42 PM »
He even is passing on our suggestions, one of mine was have the unit able to accept external clocking.

This feature has been included for release. Mostly due to discussions here and some feedback from other users as well. :)

Here's the updated user guide: http://sounddevices.com/download/guides/USBPre2_en.pdf

Very cool!!! 
Both the fact that it accepts an ext. clock....  and the fact that hands-on research finds it's way onto the deck. 
With the exception of football.....  Wisconsin folk are pretty reasonable eh??   ;)
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline tracker

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2010, 08:30:40 PM »
oh that's very very nice ;D

any news on a release date?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.238 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com