Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 6)  (Read 95184 times)

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 6)
« Reply #225 on: March 20, 2016, 11:55:13 PM »
I am successful with the SansDisk Extreme Pro 128 GB Class 10 card (SDSDXPA-128G-G46).

Well, the SD Extreme Pro Class 10 cards are on the "OK" list from Tascam/TEAC.  I purchased a 32GB version of the above card and did a 6h40m test record (4 channels) the other night.  NO problems at all.  As much as it's nice to have a 128GB card, I don't want to take too much of a risk so I went with the less expensive 32GB option.   Worst case, I'll pick up a second card down the road to have as a swapable one.

TL;DR: +1 to the above card as it worked for me (smaller 32GB card).
Decks: Zoom F6, Zoom F3 w/ BTA-1 | Power: Neewer NP-F970 7800mAh | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #226 on: March 21, 2016, 12:04:07 AM »
Another flawless 24/48 4 channel recording, latest firmware.

Last week Thursday at the Cap, Phil Lesh and the Q.
mk22 16 bit: http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=585569
mk22 24 bit: http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=585574
mk41v 16 bit: http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=585572
mk41v 24 bit: http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=585573
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline ButchAlmberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #227 on: March 21, 2016, 11:58:21 AM »
I ran into an issue that may be helpful to others.

I've been using an approved 16g card without incident. As that card was nearly full, I decided to delete the files while the card was still in my computer (Mac). Move to Trash, card empty, eject disk, put card back in deck, done.

Well, I get about :40 minutes into recording at my next event and it stopped recording. My card was 'full'.

When I got home, I backed up that :40 minute file, reinserted the card back into the deck and formatted the card again. Boom! Card has 16+ hours of record time available.

Lesson: Always check the Remaining Time, located in the upper right of the display.

And.... I believe I may begin the habit of deleting files from the card while it is in the deck.
Line Audio CM-3, CM-4, Lewitt
Sound Devices MixPre-6 II |  Tascam DR-70D

Team Line Audio

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #228 on: March 21, 2016, 12:40:47 PM »
One possible thing to consider is that when you mount removable storage on a Mac, and then mount that media in a Windows machine you'll notice that a bunch of files have been written automatically.  (.DS store and things like that.) You may not see them unless you you have ticked the option to display hidden files.  While these are very tiny files, I could see a situation where something like a portable audio recorder could have issues dealing with those files and it throwing off the space remaining calculation.  I don't know this for sure, I'm just speculating.

Either way, instead of worrying about where you're deleting files, I'd say it's better to just format the card (in the recorder) once it's getting full which both deletes everything but also rebuilds the file system.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #229 on: March 21, 2016, 04:22:27 PM »
Lesson 2- When Mac files are in a trashcan, they stay in the trashcan until emptied, and that trashcan is an invisible folder on the volume. EMPTY THE TRASHCAN and this will not happen. I don't recall when I learned this, but I can assure you that it was the hard way, and it must have been after 2007 when I got my first SD recorder...  :facepalm:

Windows, I think the recycling bin behaves differently...

I ran into an issue that may be helpful to others.

I've been using an approved 16g card without incident. As that card was nearly full, I decided to delete the files while the card was still in my computer (Mac). Move to Trash, card empty, eject disk, put card back in deck, done.

Well, I get about :40 minutes into recording at my next event and it stopped recording. My card was 'full'.

When I got home, I backed up that :40 minute file, reinserted the card back into the deck and formatted the card again. Boom! Card has 16+ hours of record time available.

Lesson: Always check the Remaining Time, located in the upper right of the display.

And.... I believe I may begin the habit of deleting files from the card while it is in the deck.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline ButchAlmberg

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #230 on: March 21, 2016, 04:54:36 PM »
Let me clarify. I didn't lose any files, as I always back the back up first. But prior to removing the SD card from my mac, I opted to delete the files on the card. I just thought this was simpler than deleting each file one by one using the delete function in the deck.I think, as Voltronic just stated, that I could have just left the card alone, put it back in the recorder and reformatted it there.
Line Audio CM-3, CM-4, Lewitt
Sound Devices MixPre-6 II |  Tascam DR-70D

Team Line Audio

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #231 on: March 21, 2016, 10:51:32 PM »
So my overnight recording test was successful.  I recorded over 7 hours with no trouble.  I couldn't get past about 3 before.  At times it would crap out before an hour.  So the recommended card took care of the problem.

So beware of the PNY P-SDX128U395-GE  card.  2 of them did NOT work for me. 

It was a little more expensive, but at least it worked.  I am successful with the SansDisk Extreme Pro 128 GB Class 10 card (SDSDXPA-128G-G46).

Thanks for reporting on the PNY 128gb sdxc cards, because I was about to buy [2] of them soon! I have successfully used the PNY 64gb Elite AND 32gb High Performance Class 10 cards, so I guess I will just pick up a few more 64gb Elite Performance PNY cards since Ive successfully used those for months now! So reliably that I'm selling my m10 and going with [2] 70D's instead of [1] 70D and [1] M10! I just want to be done with mini connectors too! Plus the option to run [2] PFA's into one 70D or have [1] 70D for each of my rigs, which I can easily power with USB batteries, which is SUPER easy and convenient IMO! And I always have my VMS to feed a pair of XLR's and a pair of RCA's for a mini connector like my M10, as a backup from my VMS! I have literally recorded hundreds of hours with my 70D in the year I've had it, during festies and shows and during battery tests like I'm doing now[I do this every spring before festie season :)], and it seems reliable enough for me to sell my M10 :) I can always pick one up down the road :) I'm not going to lie, the actives>PFA>70D is too easy and sounds too good, so I might as well have that option for both of my rigs! And have the VMS for when I fell like it :)

Anyway, lets keep the card data coming in! Thanks to ballisticsquid for the info on the 128gb PNY card, since I was planning on buying [2] of them soon! I'll just stick with the PNY 64gb Elite cards for now since they've worked so beautifully for me so far :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #232 on: March 21, 2016, 11:24:02 PM »
I am just SOOOOO glad that the v1.13 firmware seems to have fixed the lion share of problems that everyone was having :) Mine has always functioned properly since getting my PNY SD cards last summer [my 70D is picky about microsdhc cards for some reason], but I'm glad that everyone is happy with their 70D's for now! We wont get many features we want in firmware updates because Tascam came out with the 701D, which has many of the features we wanted on the 70D lol :) But I have been running the shit out of my 70D since the new v1.13 firmware came out and its been nothing but reliable so far[knocks on wood], as its always been :) I'm happy with my 70D enough to sell my M10 and pick up a second 70D :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline voltronic

« Reply #233 on: March 22, 2016, 06:42:04 AM »
Just a word of caution to anyone new to this recorder and/or thread: unless you stick to cards on Tascam's recommended list, you cannot be sure that they are going to work reliably.

That said, some of us have had reliable results with non-approved cards, while other models in the same series may be no good.  If you all think it's worthwhile, then please post the specific model number of your card here (ex. SDSDXPA-128G-G46) and I'll make a list of TS-member tested good cards on the FAQ page.  I'd still recommend anyone card shopping just get a card from the official list, but you may have a card that happens to work fine already.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Jonmac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #234 on: March 22, 2016, 08:17:06 AM »
Is it just the large capacity cards that are the problem, has anyone had problems with smaller cards eg 8 or 16 Gb ?

Zoom H1, Zoom H2, Zoom H6, Tascam DR-40, Tascam Dr-05, Homebrew mic's, C2 Cardioids

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #235 on: March 22, 2016, 08:22:41 AM »
Is it just the large capacity cards that are the problem, has anyone had problems with smaller cards eg 8 or 16 Gb ?

There doesnt seem to be any rhyme or reason to what works...consider the official list...

A SanDisk 16GB card works - but the 32GB version doesn't...

A Panasonic 32GB card is OK - but the 16GB version..."Do Not Use"

Id stick with cards on the list - my LEXAR cards worked great for a year - until they didn't...

Offline ballisticsquid

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #236 on: March 22, 2016, 09:04:03 AM »
Just a word of caution to anyone new to this recorder and/or thread: unless you stick to cards on Tascam's recommended list, you cannot be sure that they are going to work reliably.

That said, some of us have had reliable results with non-approved cards, while other models in the same series may be no good.  If you all think it's worthwhile, then please post the specific model number of your card here (ex. SDSDXPA-128G-G46) and I'll make a list of TS-member tested good cards on the FAQ page.  I'd still recommend anyone card shopping just get a card from the official list, but you may have a card that happens to work fine already.

What will be interesting is as the manufacturers put out new cards, will they work?  It will not be fun if you find yourself having to pay top dollar for old models of cards down the road.

Does the DR-701D have the same issues related to memory cards?

At this point, the DR-701D isn't really a viable substitute...it's more than twice the price of the 70d  :o

Regarding features finding their way to the 70D from the 701D, I wouldn't be surprised if some come our way.  When updating the FW in my new 70D, I decided to check for updates to my DR-05.  Surprisingly there was!  I bought that 5 years ago and they are still releasing updates.  They weren't features I cared about, but I was happy to see that they are still actively supporting that device.

Offline soundsinteresting

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #237 on: March 22, 2016, 10:24:46 AM »

It would also be value information as well, if tapers took some of their failure cards and made a few tests with v1.13 to see whether it actually made a difference to update recorder or not related to troubled cards.
I have only tested a single card but with no issues (v1.13), a TRANSCEND standard class 6 8Gb (TS08GSDHC6)

mfrench

« Reply #238 on: March 22, 2016, 10:51:02 AM »
Volts,....
The FAQ page needs to be updated regarding the right angle USB cable; this cable is no longer available in the link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321703733141

Does anyone know of a similar R.A. cable?
I wouldn't know what to look for, so I ask.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #239 on: March 22, 2016, 06:39:22 PM »

It would also be value information as well, if tapers took some of their failure cards and made a few tests with v1.13 to see whether it actually made a difference to update recorder or not related to troubled cards.
I have only tested a single card but with no issues (v1.13), a TRANSCEND standard class 6 8Gb (TS08GSDHC6)

That would be interesting.  A whole bunch of people responded to my SD card survey but not since 1.12 firmware was out, but I think some of those who had problems moved on and no longer have a 70D.  The non-approved card I have that works is a 16GB Transcend, FWIW.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.127 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com