Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Which Mic Would Be Best Suited?  (Read 1821 times)

Offline outrbanx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Which Mic Would Be Best Suited?
« on: March 19, 2008, 07:54:58 AM »
Hello,

I do a lot of videography for local school choral concerts, as well as pageants and similar events. It has taken a while, but I have now learned that I can no longer trust a feed from the soundboard. I am now looking to use my own setup so that I have more control over my audio. From that standpoint, I am a newbie when it comes to mics.

I have been told that I would be better off using two small diaphragm cardoid mics in an x/y setup on a stand, much like the tapers here use (from what I have read and seen).

Can anyone here suggest a good starter mic to try this out? I have wavered between the Samson C02, Rode NT5, and Audio Technica AT3032.

I am trying to keep my budget under $300, but I am fully aware that you get what you pay for. The Samsons are cheap, so the only advantage to them is that I can also get a 100ft stage snake to aid set up and break down times, but are they really as bad as everyone says?

Are there any others that I have overlooked?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Offline outrbanx

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Which Mic Would Be Best Suited?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 09:55:50 AM »
I am working with elementary, middle and high schools. With each being a different type of venue, hanging mics are probably out of the question. I've had good luck up to now using a sound board feed, but a few have proved to be unreliable and some schools now forbid any feeds.

Here is an example of the last show I taped where the feed was useless. It's not too bad, but the vocals dominate the band (moreso in the second song):
Check the bottom of the page for "Cosby Pyramid Concert":
http://www.magicalmemoriesproductions.com/videography_order.php

Many of the high schools, such as the one in the example have hanging condensors that are not utilized. Theoretically, I could tap into those. The problem is that I am a one-man show. I need a rig that I can control on my own and will work for different venues and situations. BTW - I use the cameras for ambient and usually tape the sound board with minidisc through my own mixer. I mix all of the tracks in post.

Most of the taping is done on a profit-sharing basis based solely on DVD sales. Others are in exchange for exclusive rights to videotape and sell DVDs.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 10:19:13 AM by outrbanx »

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 10:06:10 AM »
A good budget mic that has been used for the purpose you describe is the Audio-Technica U873R (or the older AT873R).  It is a SDC with a protective removable cage so it can be used as a handheld vocal mic if you needed.  The cage can be removed and then used like a typical SDC in pairs, via XY, ortf, etc...  The U873R has interchangable capsules, including a short shotgun, which can come in handy for video work.   The mic really works well for video work, but they are also fantastic for recording music.  They are one of my favorite SDC's.  I sold some rather expensive SDC's because I decided I liked these better.  The U873R uses the same capsules as the AT853.....
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline outrbanx

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 09:48:55 PM »
mshilarious,

Even as a "commercial service", I am still a small, one person, home-based business. Budget restraints are the main reason for finding something that I can work with in as many situations as possible, rather than the latest and greatest mics available. I need a compromise.

Secondly, many say in the videography world that:
Good video + bad audio = bad video
Bad video + good audio = passable video

With that said, I am not here because of customer complaints. I have managed to tweak what sound I have gotten to compliment the video. My aim to to prevent any problems that could arise by capturing the sound with my own equipment and make the sound board feed secondary. Even the video I posted as an example is not the final mix of that particular soundtrack.

While I've not experienced many problems in the video area, good audio has become problematic for school events and pageants (weddings are an entirely different beast that I seem to have covered well enough). As I mentioned before, I can no longer rely on a good sound board feed for every event and need something I can trust. Not to mention that a mix for the room and for a video are completely different - as I am sure you know. Any way I can improve the sound....the better for me and my clients.

I posed the question here because on a videographer's forum I was told that I needed (at least) two small diaphragm condensor mics on a stand. However, the advice on which mics varies a great deal and frankly most of the suggestions are well beyond what I am able to afford right now.  I was looking to the experts here as a bridge between the two. Capturing the sound of the room is basically what I need. I was under the impression that the expertise on doing just that would be here rather than on the other forum. I just need a place to start. Needless to say, I am not an audio guy. That's what I need everyone here for. As you said - "This forum is pretty good in that the ethos is generally about using sensible equipment, and learning how to make the best of it." That is precisely why I am looking to you.

Besides, finding the best location and configurations of the mics can only be achieved by experimenting at the rehearsal - or at least, that was my impression. That's why I didn't inquire about that.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 09:53:09 PM by outrbanx »

Offline outrbanx

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 08:22:25 PM »
Great site! Looks like a lot of info that I'll need to study. NICE!

My next event is in just two weeks. This one has no board and will take place in an elementary school's cafegymatorium. I'll get to reading, so I can order my choice of mics in the next day or so.

Thanks for your help!  :)

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 01:54:20 AM »
If you don't want to blow the bank and you want options I'd look into a pair of Studio Projects C4s.
They are not expensive, have cardioid(okay) and omni(better) caps included, and are very small.
Gets the job done, never had any problems with mine.

Or..... Busman has a new line of affordable mics. There's a thread over on the Team Boards with links to some sound samples.

Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com