Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cardioid recommendations for stealthing  (Read 9917 times)

Offline Dede2002

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Cardioid recommendations for stealthing
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 01:58:56 PM »

You stated that the MM's had too much bass. Do you mean the omni's?  Some people here have complained there was not enough bass response for the cardioid, but that wasn't my experience all.  I found the MM's to have a lot of detail with that Sennheiser sound.

Agreed. To my ears, the MM's cards ( HLSC-1) are great sounding mics for a nice price. ;)
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline heyitsmejess

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 02:01:05 PM »
church audio ca-14.
under your budget, but great sounding mics

Heard good things about those indeed !
But I haven't heard a recording so far.

these arent the cards...they are the ca-14 omnis.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/uf93ln

rumpke mountian boys
ca-14 omni > ca9100 > h120
cause we zig and zag between good and bad
stumble and fall on right and wrong

http://www.rumpkemountainboys.org/

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2009, 02:06:18 PM »
church audio ca-14.
under your budget, but great sounding mics

Heard good things about those indeed !
But I haven't heard a recording so far.

Go to: http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,99672.0.html
and sign up to test them yourself! That's the link for the cardioids, for the CA-14 omni's go to: http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,108829.0.html

While you are at it, try out his CAFS omni's: http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,100201.0.html

There are links to recordings in all those threads.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline colargol

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2009, 02:46:28 PM »
CSB's were a good mic and it seemed when I got them in the mid-90s that it was the go-to mic for about $250 that everyone seemed to flock towards.  I wanted to try the Sonic Sense DSM's, but didn't have the $. In 2004 I moved to the AT series and have not regretted it one bit and for my setup saw improved stealth recordings.  Now I am on a Church Audio kick with the CA-14's.  I don't think I'll ever go back to the CoreSounds.  Good mics for a time, but a wealth more of  and IMHO better choices on the market.

I think you might be confusing the different varieties of Core Sound mics. I used the CSB's (Core Sound Binaurals) too back in '95-'97, but then I switched to CSC (Core Sound Stealthy Cardioids), and have been using them ever since. There is in my opinion a huge difference between the two. For one I really prefer cardioids for being able to shut out some of those drunken screamers ;-). Apart from that, the CSC's give a lot less bass. In most cases I eq the bass a bit up afterwards... The CSB's sound a lot more boomy, while the CSC's might sound a bit thin to some people. For their price I would say the CSC's are a pretty good buy.

-Colargol
MK4s/MK41s > nbob actives > tinybox/babynbox > M10/A10

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2009, 02:49:25 PM »
Chris Church has a new model of small cardioid mics, CA-10. $79.99 per pair. He describes them as "entry level."

See: http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,117446.0.html
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2009, 03:00:48 PM »
I too recommend the Sennheiser MKE40.  Very clear, detailed and warm/pleasant sound.  The number one complaint with PA recording for me is clarity of vocals, and these mics work great.  *If* you need a bit of bass, just bring that up with a bit of EQ.  But most venues overdo the bass anyway, so I don't mind a bit of roll off.  If I had to recommend a cardioid, these would be it.  The Church CA-11 are good too, and about half the price, but for $250 I would get the Sennheiser.  However, make sure you get these modded for loud shows.  Chris Church can help you with this (probably).

Before going to cardioids, though, I would give Omnis a chance.  For $150 the Church CAFS are very good.  If you want a really good sounding omni, try the Countryman B3.

Clips of all above (except for CAFS) are available at http://Soundmann.com.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2009, 03:22:53 PM »
CSB's were a good mic and it seemed when I got them in the mid-90s that it was the go-to mic for about $250 that everyone seemed to flock towards.  I wanted to try the Sonic Sense DSM's, but didn't have the $. In 2004 I moved to the AT series and have not regretted it one bit and for my setup saw improved stealth recordings.  Now I am on a Church Audio kick with the CA-14's.  I don't think I'll ever go back to the CoreSounds.  Good mics for a time, but a wealth more of  and IMHO better choices on the market.

I think you might be confusing the different varieties of Core Sound mics. I used the CSB's (Core Sound Binaurals) too back in '95-'97, but then I switched to CSC (Core Sound Stealthy Cardioids), and have been using them ever since. There is in my opinion a huge difference between the two. For one I really prefer cardioids for being able to shut out some of those drunken screamers ;-). Apart from that, the CSC's give a lot less bass. In most cases I eq the bass a bit up afterwards... The CSB's sound a lot more boomy, while the CSC's might sound a bit thin to some people. For their price I would say the CSC's are a pretty good buy.

-Colargol

You are right. I was just commenting on the CSB's I had. Never been a user of the CSC's.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2009, 04:42:20 PM »
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline reba_103194

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2009, 06:37:06 PM »
Possible problem with the 4080's could be the freq response:

250 Hz - 17 kHz with typ. 4 dB soft boost at 4-6 kHz (-5 dB at 100 Hz)
Sony PCM-M1; first show taped: YMSB 12/31/2001 SBD patch.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2009, 09:50:28 PM »
Maybe you want to consider these:

http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/products.aspx?c=Item&category=129&item=24061

I'd like to see it without the windscreen.  It says "vertical diaphragm".  I wonder if it is just the 406x with some fancy venting to make it have a cardioid response.  I believe Countryman does something similar to make their omni element (B6) have directionality (E6).  Don't know the details though.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2009, 10:13:02 PM »
Milab VM-44-links
for less than $1300 a pair
at full compass
talk to Ron

peace
-- Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2009, 11:05:12 PM »
DPA 4022's

First mic owned, still going strong.

Offline Sunday Driver

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2009, 11:38:16 PM »

I'm still waiting (and hopeful) that DPA eventually releases the small cardioid "hanging choir" microphones that they claimed they were going to release way back when. These were proposed to have an extended frequency response and be similar in sound quality to the DPA 402x. Not that I'm holding my breath...
You either record it or it's gone forever.
My Tapes

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2009, 10:32:58 AM »

I'm still waiting (and hopeful) that DPA eventually releases the small cardioid "hanging choir" microphones that they claimed they were going to release way back when. These were proposed to have an extended frequency response and be similar in sound quality to the DPA 402x. Not that I'm holding my breath...

^^

I'm waiting on the same thing: 

"DPA - the small cardioid "hanging choir" microphones that they claimed they were going to release way back when. These were proposed to have an extended frequency response and be similar in sound quality to the DPA 402x. "

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline Ekib

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2009, 03:00:58 AM »

You stated that the MM's had too much bass. Do you mean the omni's?  Some people here have complained there was not enough bass response for the cardioid, but that wasn't my experience all.  I found the MM's to have a lot of detail with that Sennheiser sound.

Agreed. To my ears, the MM's cards ( HLSC-1) are great sounding mics for a nice price. ;)

I have used the Highline mic's for a short while. It was to compare them to the Core Sound Stealthy Cardiod's ( the $ 250 ones ).
I record basically only hardrock and metal. A lot of those bands use the double bass frequently. The way they sound on the MM's is absolutely terrible. Sometimes even overloaded ( and the recordingsettings were fine ). They simply have way too much bass to handle things like double bassdrums. That's why binaural's are out of the question for me. They may work well for other music but not for what I do.
I have never had problems with my Core Sound set. They catch live music the way I like it.
Now about the lack of bass...I have made many recordings where I've had plenty of bass. It all depends on how a gig sounds like.
I feel Core Sound catches a concert the way it really sounded like.
I'm glad I did find mic's that I am totally happy about. It may not be other people's taste. But I love them and that's what it's all about.

That said I'm sure other people may like other mic's better and that's all cool. To each it's own.
But I have to say, I don’t mind it. I do object when I see people sticking microphones up my nose, in the front row. If I see anyone doing that [laughs] I’m going to have security remove them. Because that’s just obnoxious. But I don’t mind if people come and discreetly at the back make a recording of it. And I know that it’s just for their own use, for the superfan.
(Steven Wilson , interview http://blog.musoscribe.com/index.php/2011/01/25/interview-steven-wilson-on-audience-taping/ )

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com