Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cardioid recommendations for stealthing  (Read 9885 times)

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Cardioid recommendations for stealthing
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2009, 08:04:49 AM »
I never had bass issues with the type of music I taped with the MM's.  Albeit, I don't listen to much double bass stuff, but rock - hard rock. No cookie monster vocals.  ;D

This is a sample I posted back in '07 of the MM's:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y98M6N8Y
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline Ekib

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2009, 09:10:52 AM »
I never had bass issues with the type of music I taped with the MM's.  Albeit, I don't listen to much double bass stuff, but rock - hard rock. No cookie monster vocals.  ;D

This is a sample I posted back in '07 of the MM's:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y98M6N8Y

It wasn't at a cookie monster show I had problems with the MM's...

The biggest problem and worst recording I did was at a Rush show. The double bass just killed the recording. I know had I used Core Sound Stealthy Cardioid's it would have come out fine...
But I have to say, I don’t mind it. I do object when I see people sticking microphones up my nose, in the front row. If I see anyone doing that [laughs] I’m going to have security remove them. Because that’s just obnoxious. But I don’t mind if people come and discreetly at the back make a recording of it. And I know that it’s just for their own use, for the superfan.
(Steven Wilson , interview http://blog.musoscribe.com/index.php/2011/01/25/interview-steven-wilson-on-audience-taping/ )

Offline Belexes

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2009, 09:35:20 AM »
I taped Rush in an amphitheater MM's > 9100 > R-09 and it turned out fine accept for the fact I was 4th row with loud, obnoxious drunks near me.  But there are other factors in terms of bass overload in terms of venue acoustics, seat location to the line array/subs, etc. so I see your point. Luckily I had a friend farther back in the venue with DSM's that night and he pulled a wonderful recording.

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline Sunday Driver

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2009, 02:02:09 AM »
I taped Rush in an amphitheater MM's > 9100 > R-09 and it turned out fine accept for the fact I was 4th row with loud, obnoxious drunks near me.  But there are other factors in terms of bass overload in terms of venue acoustics, seat location to the line array/subs, etc. so I see your point. Luckily I had a friend farther back in the venue with DSM's that night and he pulled a wonderful recording.

Ah, I very well remember that one on DIME. I didn't download the tape, but if I remember correctly in the mp3 samples, there was some low end bass distortion. I thought that was strange, since the source info said they were modded. Ah well...
You either record it or it's gone forever.
My Tapes

Offline Belexes

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2009, 08:02:14 AM »

Ah, I very well remember that one on DIME. I didn't download the tape, but if I remember correctly in the mp3 samples, there was some low end bass distortion. I thought that was strange, since the source info said they were modded. Ah well...

I could spit on the subs from my seat.  My location wasn't ideal.  The DSM DAT recording from Milwaukee is much improved.

Offline Ekib

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2009, 11:03:05 PM »

The bigger the place the harder to get a decent recording indeed. And that's why usually CS doesn't let me down.
The thing is MM's aren't bad mic's. The highline's are pretty good. It's just when I listen to a recording I have to put the bass way down and the treble all up. Or get an equalizer in between. They are just too much work for me.
While usually with any CS recording I just listen , and maybe at a little high or low.
That RUSH show was a nightmare. The double bass were so bad in the mix. It was nothing but reverb and very boomy. You'd expect a clear sound from a band like RUSH...

Do you use a bass roll off anyway ?
But I have to say, I don’t mind it. I do object when I see people sticking microphones up my nose, in the front row. If I see anyone doing that [laughs] I’m going to have security remove them. Because that’s just obnoxious. But I don’t mind if people come and discreetly at the back make a recording of it. And I know that it’s just for their own use, for the superfan.
(Steven Wilson , interview http://blog.musoscribe.com/index.php/2011/01/25/interview-steven-wilson-on-audience-taping/ )

Offline Belexes

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2009, 11:45:14 PM »
Do you use a bass roll off anyway ?

None in post or while recording. I'm a bass freak and like my house to move when I play shows loud, but that's me. Everyone has their own taste when it comes to bass.

Offline nak700s

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2009, 09:48:05 AM »
Everyone is going to recommend what they use, because they think they're the best.  They are not, they only sound best to them because that's what they have and that's what they're used to.  I would do the same, but I won't (even though they fit your needs in every way).  Instead, I will suggest you go to www.bt.etree.org and download several of the same show that was recorded with different set-ups.  Although the only true test is if they all used the same recorders and were in the same spot, it will give you a better sense of the sound of the mics used than the rantings of biased users.

Remember, the mics are no good no matter what they are if you get caught and they take away the SD card, so don't compromise what you are looking for.
Normal: Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD 744T (or) Sony PCM-M10
Normal: Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD 744T
Fun times: 3 Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD744T + 2 Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD744T
Stealth: CA-14c >> CA 9200 >> Edirol R-09HR
Ultra stealth: AudioReality >> AudioReality battery box >> Edirol R-09HR
Simple & Sweet!

Offline Ekib

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2009, 10:45:44 AM »
Everyone is going to recommend what they use, because they think they're the best.  They are not, they only sound best to them because that's what they have and that's what they're used to.  I would do the same, but I won't (even though they fit your needs in every way).  Instead, I will suggest you go to www.bt.etree.org and download several of the same show that was recorded with different set-ups.  Although the only true test is if they all used the same recorders and were in the same spot, it will give you a better sense of the sound of the mics used than the rantings of biased users.

Remember, the mics are no good no matter what they are if you get caught and they take away the SD card, so don't compromise what you are looking for.

Those are my points exactly !
However , it is cool to hear people rant about their # 1 choice.
Discussion is always a cool thing.
And sometimes you can learn a thing or two ...

Offline nak700s

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2009, 08:34:50 PM »
Agreed.  With that said, I am using a pair of Nakamichi CM-700's.  They are perhaps the most famous scaled down mics and, in my opinion, sound awesome.  My biggest problem is that I can't find anyone to scale them down for me!  They have a self contained power source, so you don't need any extra equipment to run them.  Just mics and the deck to plug it in to.  It's a wonderful thing.   ;D 

Personally, I think if you can find a pair of these, you should jump on it.  If you're looking for stealth and quality, these will make you happy.
Normal: Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD 744T (or) Sony PCM-M10
Normal: Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD 744T
Fun times: 3 Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD744T + 2 Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD744T
Stealth: CA-14c >> CA 9200 >> Edirol R-09HR
Ultra stealth: AudioReality >> AudioReality battery box >> Edirol R-09HR
Simple & Sweet!

Offline MJ

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2009, 11:05:44 PM »
How about Audix M1280 (or M1290)?  Maybe not ideal for stealth recording but still stealthable.  Yes I own them :P and love them.
<Main Rigs>
Schoeps MK4s>(Nbox Active cables)>Nbox+ or Nbox Platinum>Izzy (Split) Cables>Sony PCM-M10 or Sony PCM-D100

<Sub Rigs>
(1)DPA4061s>(terminated with 3.5 stereo mini)>Church Audio Pre>(3.5 stereo mini+Canare cable + 3.5 stereo mini)>Sony PCM-M10
(2)DSM-6S/L>(terminated with 3.5 stereo mini)> Sony PCM-M10

<IEM>
(1)scanner
 DJ-X2000
 IC-RX7
(2)receiver
Shure P10R
Sennheiser ek2000
(3)recorders
Marntz PMD706

Offline M

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2009, 06:23:56 PM »
Totally doable, if can smuggle the pre...and if not get an aerco.

Pretty much the same size as the at853>ca9100 setup and it smokes.  I find it easier to get the right angles too.
Beyer CK930>Naiant TB>M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com