Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help me spend 10k  (Read 8220 times)

Offline meatballs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Help me spend 10k
« on: May 15, 2009, 08:39:35 AM »
Ok so here we go -- I have 10k to spend I'd prefer to spend less and definetly not more. I am asking for the forms help in regards to helping me build a benchmark rig. Benchmark meaning uber space station. In the world of cars we'd be looking at Maserati's, Ferrari's etc etc.

That said -- I'm open to all advice as long as you can back up wtf your saying. A suggestion on where to purchase the equipment is also helpfull. I am open to A+ quality used equipment.

I am currently looking at Sound Devices for the deck and Neumann TLM-170R's mics. I will also need batteries, stand, cables, and a possible pre-amp. Damn is this possible with 10k?

I will be recording live concerts anywhere from stadium size to small coffee bars both indoor and outdoor. Music tastes ranging from campground Bluegrass to Speed Metal.

Additionally, I have also taken on a new interest in recording outer space mixed with the songs of hump back whales. Any help appreciated..........

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Help me spend 10k
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 08:50:31 AM »
10k is pretty reasonable. how bout a 7xx deck and a Soundfield mic?
if i t was my 10k, i'd buy a splitter snake, a multitrack, and a console and record correctly.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 09:26:20 AM »
People on ludes should not drive...
J. Spicoli

mk4,mk21>kc5>cmc6>V3>SD722

Offline ghellquist

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 10:48:42 AM »
Sorry, the cantar alone is above 10k.

Suggestions from me, all battle proved (basically what I use myself).

Sound Devices 702    (mine is a 722, but nowadays it is better going on memory cards)
   extra memory cards (32G variety)
   extra batteries, largest size
   carrying bag
Stereo mic Schoeps MSTC64   
   http://www.schoeps.de/E-2004/ortf-stereo.html#mstc64
   BBG windscreens and windjammers
   30 foot stereo cable + whip end
AT8415 shock mounts
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Manfrotto (Bogen?) stand BG004AC

This should leave you some headway into more mics (mics are the single most important  part of the kit). Some ideas.

Sennheiser MKH30 + MKH40
   Perhaps with a Rycote Windshield (zeppelin).

A pair of omni mics, say Sennheiser MKH20.

My two cents, all of the stuff above are things I own and gladly use myself.

//Gunnar

Offline salmonite

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 10:53:53 AM »

Offline meatballs

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 12:53:21 PM »
I would also like to add that I prefer as few connections as possible. i.e. when I list a source I'd prefer to refrain from using lots of > > > > > > > > > > > >

I like the sound device system -- any feedback on the built in pre-amp; the Cantar is beautiful -- anyone know where I can find one used?

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 01:24:54 PM »
I would also like to add that I prefer as few connections as possible. i.e. when I list a source I'd prefer to refrain from using lots of > > > > > > > > > > > >

I like the sound device system -- any feedback on the built in pre-amp; the Cantar is beautiful -- anyone know where I can find one used?

good luck finding a used cantar......once you own one, you don't sell it.
the preamps in the sound devices units are nice. i a/b'ed them against grace v2/3's and sold off my graces and just use the internal pres in the 7xx box.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

Offline meatballs

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 05:46:45 PM »
Rokpunk -

I like your style man !!! (nice lamp)

I have some lines out for a Aaton - Cantar. She's a beaut !!!!! Realistically, I will end up with a 7xxx, however, I do have an old friend who owes me some money -- maybe its time to collect !!!!!!

Now Cables? Mics?         pics -- please

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 08:02:01 PM »
For $10k, you won't be able to get the perfect, uber-flexible, one-size-fits-all recording locker package for any and all purposes.  But you can put together some really fantastic  gear for $10k (and for a lot less, depending on one's goals).

I'm not a huge fan of large diaphragm mics unless I'm recording on-stage, so I'd skip the 170s, though their multi-pattern pickup can make for a lot of fun experimentation.  While there's a lot of great sounding gear out there, I still love the Schoeps sound and modularity.  And mics are king, so I'd focus my money there first, and secondarily on the back end.*

My picks:

===================================================
Description           |  #  |  Unit ($)  |  Ext ($)
Schoeps MK 5          |  2  |     1,350  |    2,700
Schoeps MK 8          |  1  |     1,215  |    1,215
Schoeps CMC 6         |  3  |       929  |    2,787
Schoeps KC 5          |  3  |       575  |    1,725
Oade MOD Edirol R-44  |  1  |       995  |      995
---------------------------------------------------
SUB-TOTAL                                     9,422
---------------------------------------------------
Cables, mount, shockmounts, stand, w/s, etc.    588
GRAND TOTAL                                  10,000

The above setup would allow you to run coincident, near-coincident, or spaced cardioids, spaced or baffled omnis, mid-side, double mid-side (3-channels, hence the R-44), and 2-ch mics + 2-ch soundboard.  This is all new, of course.  Used would save you a good chunk of change - maybe enough for another MK 8 to support Blumlein, or a single or pair of MK 41 supercardioids, or a single or pair of MK 21 subcardioids, or another CMC6 to enable 4-mic recording, or upgrade the R-44 to a Sound Devices 744 + preamp, or...well, you get the idea.  Lots of options!

Alternatively, instead of the R-44, for a little bit more you could go with 2 x Tascam HD-P2 (Oade MOD or not) and sync clocks for when you want to run > 2 channel.  There may be other recorders that will give you 3-4 channels to support the above setup -- my goal isn't to list any and all possibilities, just one I think is pretty darn sweet.

* Speaking of backend, so to speak:  do you have a sufficiently high quality playback system to enable you to benefit from all this great gear during listening?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 09:23:41 PM »
32 minidiscs + CSB's.   Then you can also take full boards.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 09:34:16 PM »
what skalinder said, but buy your schoeps used and save 30+%
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 09:37:08 PM »
Don't buy Schoeps.   :-X  That's all I'm gonna say.  I'd go with the DPA's or 140's.

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 09:44:51 PM »
Don't buy Schoeps.   :-X  That's all I'm gonna say.  I'd go with the DPA's or 140's.

some people like mud.

:shrugs:

Offline sanaka

• Taperssection Regular
  • Perpetual n00b
    • My first Dead show
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 09:56:54 PM »
I would get:

A pair of these:

And one of these:

Which would give you superb sound in your choice of stereo flavor, and should leave ~$2K, ample for high quality stand, cables, batteries, media, bag, post production software (I like Adobe Audition) etc. I'm not a big believer in special silver cables, so I'd probably go for some nice basic Neutrik XLR-on-Canare starquad.

What would be awesome of course, would be more than 2 tracks to record to. You get a lot of flexibility and one thing you could do is use
the MKH800 Twin mics (which have two outputs), for even more stereo flavor options, chosen in post! The mojo machine for this of course is the SD 788, but this would put you over budget with the Senn mics. You could go with the R-44, but the preamps aren't as nice as Sound Devices. So you could get something outboard to up the SQ, but this would also up the complexity of the setup (I really like the simplicity of just mics>recorder)  There are many other choices of mics, of course, and you could definitely do SD788 with Schoeps or whatever.

I had to connoiter, finagle and justify for a year just to muster the $1K for a new R-44, so you are in a very enviable equipment buying position!

Peace,
Sanaka

EDIT: The previous 5 posts happened while I was composing my post, so sorry for redundancy.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 10:01:53 PM by sanaka »

Offline manitouman

• Trade Count: (36)
  • Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 03:34:35 AM »
All good suggestions...When you are done buying gear, buy some van den Hul cables from Busman Audio so that your signals are clean. I absolutely love my set!  ;D
Mics: AKG CK31, CK32>LM 3> MPA III

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.123 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com