Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AT-853 and sound quality  (Read 9788 times)

Offline Karl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
AT-853 and sound quality
« on: March 14, 2005, 10:05:40 PM »
I run 853's right now, and have been pretty happy.  But sooner or later I'll be upgrading, and for comparison purposes I would like to know how the sound quality/tonal balance of these mics compare with the rest of the mic world.  I've done my share of listening, but I would like to know what others think.  Also, with these mics being "cheaper" than others out there, what makes these mics inferior?
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re: AT-853 and sound quality
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 10:16:24 PM »
they sound fine for what they are.  With more expensive mics you will get clearer highs, more defined midrange and less sloppy bass.  having gone myself from squids>853s>AKG391/3s>MG200, I can tell you there are distint improvements all the way through the cycle....you have to find what you like more...some will like the schoeps sound or the dpa sound, or the mg sound...they are all pretty distinct

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 10:55:13 PM »
they sound fine for what they are.  With more expensive mics you will get clearer highs, more defined midrange and less sloppy bass.  having gone myself from squids>853s>AKG391/3s>MG200, I can tell you there are distint improvements all the way through the cycle....you have to find what you like more...some will like the schoeps sound or the dpa sound, or the mg sound...they are all pretty distinct

This (AT853) is where I am too.  I'm thinking of upgrading to C4.  Does anyone have opinions?  Aside from lower self-noise, can I expect much?

Thanks,
  Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 11:54:44 PM »
i love my little AT853 mics. made some damn nice recordings with them mostly using them in stealth situations, but sometimes open taping.  as nick mentioned, they are sound great for what they are (and how much they cost).

i've yet to hear a stealth recording made with with c4's, octavas, c1000's or other similar priced mics that rival some of the stealth tapes made with phantom powered AT853 running into a nice pre like the MP2, Mixpre or the MV100.

i've open taped with the AT's right next to ak50's, schoeps, dpa's...... 
sure they're not in the same caliber as the aforementioned, but the little AT's weren't too shabby, imho.

perhaps one of these days i'll do up a sample test of all the mics i have (and have access to) and see who can pick out what's what. i'd bet some of you will be quite surprised how good the AT's sound if properly powered and utilized.

my $.02.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 12:41:04 AM »
i love my little AT853 mics. made some damn nice recordings with them mostly using them in stealth situations, but sometimes open taping. as nick mentioned, they are sound great for what they are (and how much they cost).

i've yet to hear a stealth recording made with with c4's, octavas, c1000's or other similar priced mics that rival some of the stealth tapes made with phantom powered AT853 running into a nice pre like the MP2, Mixpre or the MV100.

i've open taped with the AT's right next to ak50's, schoeps, dpa's......
sure they're not in the same caliber as the aforementioned, but the little AT's weren't too shabby, imho.

perhaps one of these days i'll do up a sample test of all the mics i have (and have access to) and see who can pick out what's what. i'd bet some of you will be quite surprised how good the AT's sound if properly powered and utilized.

my $.02.

marc

nice post marc!

as w/ anything, its how well you know what you have, and how to deal w/ that situation!

experience can go a long way, and id def put some of my 'less expensive' tapes up against any rig in the house on some nites 8)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 01:43:16 AM »
i love my little AT853 mics. made some damn nice recordings with them mostly using them in stealth situations, but sometimes open taping.  as nick mentioned, they are sound great for what they are (and how much they cost).

So how would you actually describe the sound quality of the 853's?
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2005, 01:54:21 AM »

punchy, crisp, tight, great dynamics, good bass (although not as smooth as my km140s).

i'll re-seed these 2 shows if you want:

=========================
Buckethead's Giant Robot  http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=6678

House of Blues
Anaheim, CA
July 8, 2004

Taper: leegeddy
Media: 2CDR (1CDR SHN)
Recording: Audience (DAT Master)
Source: Audio Technica AT853 cardioid (DIN, 90deg) > AT8533 > Beyerdynamic MV-100 (48V phantom, +20dB) > Sony PCM-M1. approx. 30' from stage. 8.5' up, just behind the SBD, DFC!
Transfer: Sony PCM-M1 > Oade 7-pin > Audioquest VSD-2 S/PDIF > M-Audio DeltaDio 2496 > CDWave > CoolEditPro 1.2a > CDWave > SHN (mkwACT)

OZRIC TENTACLES  http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=6967

The Grove of Anaheim
Anaheim, CA
July 22, 2004

Media: 2CDR (2CDR FLAC)
Source: Audio Technica AT853 (DIN 90deg) > AT8533 > Beyerdynamic MV-100 (48V phantom, +20dB) > Sony PCM-M1. Approx. 40' from Stage, 3' LoC, 8' high
Transfer: Sony PCM-R500 > Canare AES/EBU > S/PDIF > M-Audio DeltaDio 2496 > CDWave > CoolEditPro 1.2a > CDWave > FLAC (level 8)
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2005, 02:34:50 AM »

punchy, crisp, tight, great dynamics, good bass (although not as smooth as my km140s).

i'll re-seed these 2 shows if you want:

Buckethead's Giant Robot  http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=6678

House of Blues
Anaheim, CA
July 8, 2004

Media: 2CDR (1CDR SHN)
Source: Audio Technica AT853 cardioid (DIN, 90deg) > AT8533 > Beyerdynamic MV-100 (48V phantom, +20dB) > Sony PCM-M1. approx. 30' from stage. 8.5' up, just behind the SBD, DFC!
Transfer: Sony PCM-M1 > Oade 7-pin > Audioquest VSD-2 S/PDIF > M-Audio DeltaDio 2496 > CDWave > CoolEditPro 1.2a > CDWave > SHN (mkwACT)

OZRIC TENTACLES  http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=6967

The Grove of Anaheim
Anaheim, CA
July 22, 2004

Media: 2CDR (2CDR FLAC)
Source: Audio Technica AT853 (DIN 90deg) > AT8533 > Beyerdynamic MV-100 (48V phantom, +20dB) > Sony PCM-M1. Approx. 40' from Stage, 3' LoC, 8' high
Transfer: Sony PCM-R500 > Canare AES/EBU > S/PDIF > M-Audio DeltaDio 2496 > CDWave > CoolEditPro 1.2a > CDWave > FLAC (level 8)

Thanks!  No, don't worry about reseeding, I'm on dialup anyways!  I know how the mics sound, but I don't know how they sound in comparison to other mics, and your description helps me understand.  I think my next set of mics I'm looking for something detailed, crisp, and tight.  Right now I'm also running digi-mod UA-5, and I'm thinking that another Oade mod will get me closer to what I'm looking for, purely cause the quality of the recording will get that much better.
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2005, 11:23:56 AM »
I really enjoy my AT933(body) + AT853C (caps). In fact, I just ordered the AT8533x phantom power units from Sound Pro's and will testing out the updated rig this weekend. 24" split > UA-5. I've been mostly using my mod'd 463's the last 2 years but am very anxious to try out some of the same local recording situations with my AT's. For the price and size, they're hard to beat. I pulled an insanely good Kings of Leon tape on the 5th without even trying -- totally stealth; just laid my mics on the balcony ledge inside my coat and didn't expect much. When I got home I was literally blown away... better/comparable than some of my AKG pulls in the same bar.
"Absurdity is the only reality." - FZ

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2005, 05:12:58 PM »
Thanks for the posts!  +T's to all
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline Idle Wind

• Wishes He Could Get Out More..
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection Member
  • YEEEWRAAAUGHHH... OOOOHHH..YEAAAHH
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2005, 09:28:23 PM »
I'm real happy with my 853Rx's.  I run them into an MP2/SBM1,
and for the money, they are one of the more versatile mics out there.
you can stealth, you can run them on a stand, they have interchangeable caps..
really a nice reasonably priced solution.

frankly, I don't see myself upgrading, until I can drop say, $1500 on an
SKM-140 stereo set, or something.  I like the AKG 460 / 480s too, which
are a little cheaper.

The killer on the Neumann set is another set of caps adds another
$1200 or whatever - and I know I'd want the 50s too -
I'm into my whole AT853Rx set, with 4 sets of caps for about
$350.

So until I have like $1500 I don't know what to do with,
 I'll run my humble little ATs - Omni / SubCard / Card / Hyper
as the need may dictate.  As Marc said, when properly powered and
utilized, they turn out some nice tapes. 
Schoeps mk4, mk22, nbob actives
AKG 460 ck63 /ck8 nbob actives
AT853RX  - O/SC/C/H
PCM-M10 / DR-70D (N-Mod) / PMD 670 (Oade Mod) / Roland R07 / FR2-LE (Oade mod)
Platinum N-Box, Baby N-Box, SD MP-2, Naiant PFAs

marc0789

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2005, 02:43:08 PM »

about on par with nak100. not bad but you better be damn close.

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2005, 04:19:01 PM »
not bad but you better be damn close.

My intention is to prove this wrong.... I think the phantom power unit's and a preamp will make a world of difference in sound quality.
"Absurdity is the only reality." - FZ

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2005, 09:46:15 AM »

My intention is to prove this wrong.... I think the phantom power unit's and a preamp will make a world of difference in sound quality.

actually having owned these, I agree with marc...these mics need as high an SPL level as possible...otherwise they get distant sounding quickly...

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2005, 09:54:18 AM »

I disagree. I've run from the section at a few outdoor shows and indoor shows and not found this to be true.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com