Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: diy mini-mic setup  (Read 10419 times)

Offline boa

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • crowesbase loves you
    • crowesbase:an.amorican.archive
Re: diy mini-mic setup
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2005, 06:26:22 PM »
at this point, I'm curious about your spreader.
How are you keeping the bars truly horizontal? I'm assuming that it is a single pivot point at the anchor bolt, which would tend to make it want to sag. Am I missing something? How are you keeping both halves matching on a horizontal plane?

With the weight of the mics, clips and cable being negligable on the 406x series, I did not think to add reinforcement to the anchor bolt to keep the two antennae matching on the horizontal plane; my own tests are relying on the pivot point to stay tight and thus keeping the halves straight. I think I'll try to add a bar to help that and take the stress of the anchor bolt. I've got another in progress so I'll try something different with that one.

I appreciate the feedback on the jdisc; I am going to try some different rubber mounts to achieve the 180 degree focus. I'll post any updates.
Microtech Gefell m22 >  Babynbox > Sony m10acm
Microtech Gefell mv200/m21 > Aerco mp2 > Roland r44ocm

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2005, 07:14:06 PM »
Very cool, boa, good job! 

Personally, I've never heard that the mics need to be oriented 180* apart for a j-disk.  And every picture I've ever seen of a j-disk always has them pointed more or less forward, not off to the sides.  Theoretically, it should not matter at all, since omnis should be omni-directional, so orientation shouldn't matter.  In practice, most omni mics tend to get directional at high frequencies.  But if I were concerned at all, I'd want my mics pointed more or less forward so that the directionality of the mics at high frequencies would be on-axis with the sound source, not on axis with the side wall reflections.

Some links on j-disks:

http://www.josephson.com/tn5.html

http://www.mhsoft.nl/MicTips.asp

Anyone have links/sources discussing the need for the 180* orientation? 
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2005, 07:47:19 PM »
Gotcha, thanks Mike.  That makes sense.  Well, sortof -- now I've got to say, wow, I had no idea the 406x series were side addressed mics, not axial.  Thanks for the tip, now I'll know which direction to yell into Tim's new mics. ;D
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2005, 07:48:18 PM »
careful or I'll start throwing hipchecks old man :P

;)
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2005, 07:49:48 PM »
+T
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline ScottT

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2005, 11:27:37 AM »
+T for DIY

and another +T in 12 for the "sauce au fromage pour nachos" pic in your third post  ;D
Mics: Schoeps mk22, mk41, mk8, ADK TLs
Pres: V2, Busman-mod UA5
Recorders: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-70d, Tascam DR-07

"Push out the jive. Bring in the love." - C.M. Burns

Offline Tim

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2005, 03:53:25 PM »
so I'm going to build one of these jdisc/baffles today and was wondering, since I have never even seen a 4061 upclose, what the best way to affix the mics to the disc will be? I would like to maintain the ability to adjust the distance the caps are from the baffle. I'm assuming that no matter how far out from the baffle the mics are I would always want them to be basically centered in the middle of the disc, is this correct?

thanks guys!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Tim

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2005, 04:03:07 PM »
thanks Moke...

Offline Tim

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2005, 04:59:42 PM »
boa - any idea what type/model pop screen that is? I've had a tough time finding one with a mic mount, everyone I've found has gooseneck and clamp

Offline boa

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • crowesbase loves you
    • crowesbase:an.amorican.archive
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2005, 05:08:50 AM »
boa - any idea what type/model pop screen that is? I've had a tough time finding one with a mic mount, everyone I've found has gooseneck and clamp

Not sure exactly - got it at Guitar Center but I also saw the same at Pro Audio on Manchester in Maplewood. It comes with a clamp and a flexible extension. I'll see if I still have the packaging.
Microtech Gefell m22 >  Babynbox > Sony m10acm
Microtech Gefell mv200/m21 > Aerco mp2 > Roland r44ocm

Offline Tim

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2005, 12:51:00 PM »
Tim,

Embroidery Loops,..... This is a cheap and readily available frame, though it would take some tweaking to get it to mount. i think it would be an easy enough tweak to get it to mount though.

yeah I was thinking of going that direction but couldn't come up with a good way to attach that hoop to a stand. I don't have a work bench or any power tools....

hmmmmmmmm

Offline Tim

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2005, 02:15:17 PM »
ahhhhh

good thinking...

thanks for all of your help... much appreciated :)

Offline Tim

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2005, 03:49:59 PM »
just got back from the craft store

ended up getting an 8" embroidery ring, it's made of heavy yellow plastic

I bought two 8" foam "wheels" to go inside the ring, one is 1" thick and the other is 2" thick.... I think I'm going to use the 1" though for now

I picked up some heavy black felt squares and I'm in the process of glueing them to the foam using Liquid Nails

this is the easy part... I'm going to grab a cheapo mic clip later and try to dissect it for a mic mount later (good idea moke)

Offline Tim

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2005, 04:05:20 PM »
???

not sure what you mean

Offline Tim

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2005, 04:13:27 PM »
yes, LOTS of different sizes... the people at the store were no help at all :P

I had a 7inch wooden hoop but I couldn't find any 7inch foam so I went with the heavier duty 8inch plastic hoop. It's bright yellow but my other options were pink and purple :P

I think I caught a buzz from the Liquid Nails ;)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com