Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How to make a bootleg...without even trying  (Read 6944 times)

silverbullet

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: How to make a bootleg...without even trying
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2004, 03:44:55 PM »
 :o I guess perhaps I should have shopped around for more photographers. I found a good photographer and I'm happy. Never crossed my mind about asking for the negatives. I thought it was just the norm that professional photographers keep the negatives. Not sure why I thought that because I'm sure they just get tossed in the trash after a year or so in shoebox storage.

I'd sure like to learn more about normal procedures in these matters with paid professional photographers. Lessons learn now for me is to ask before hand if I want negatives now.

silverbullet

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2004, 03:46:05 PM »
The photog at my wedding said he'd hang onto the negatives for five years and then if we wanted, we could buy them from him. Fortunately we found a way to save paying him: we got divorced.

Too funny. +T for the laugh

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Needs to get out more...
  • Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2004, 03:49:33 PM »
We may have had to shop around to find someone that would give us the negatives. I think that was his selling point. Oh well....Sorry to change the subject of the thread.  ;)
"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

jpschust

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2004, 05:09:59 PM »
generally prof photogs keep their negs. 

personally my favorite part of the story is the douche signing the email "Kind Regards"

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2004, 05:13:34 PM »
:o I guess perhaps I should have shopped around for more photographers. I found a good photographer and I'm happy. Never crossed my mind about asking for the negatives. I thought it was just the norm that professional photographers keep the negatives. Not sure why I thought that because I'm sure they just get tossed in the trash after a year or so in shoebox storage.

If it makes you feel any better, I've always heard the same thing as you- that they generally won't part with the negatives.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2004, 06:10:02 PM »
well i was going to try to come up with an in-depth response on how photagraphy of a wedding is different from you recording a band, but i can't really put it into the right words and i don't want to make myself look like a jackass :P

basically, a contract is usually signed with a professional photographer.  you didn't sign any contract when you recorded the band.  They gave you permission to record. In most circumstances the band has an official policy designating certain rights.  Since Amp has no official policy I'm afraid they can do whatever they want with the master recording if they choose to.

or at least i think that's how it goes.  My media law class was only 8 weeks long :P  a lawyer should be able to clear this up.

Offline tibbsa

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2004, 11:02:19 PM »
This morning, I received the following e-mail from Amp's management....I wrote back letting them know I'd be happy to send a copy of the show (I try to send bands I tape a copy anyway) but I wasn't going to part with the master. Just wondering where I might stand on the issue of getting permission to tape from someone who wasn't authorized to give that permission (though I didn't know that):

At least here in Canada, when dealing with contract/agency law, if person A is acting on behalf of person B, it is generally held that if A "makes a deal" that a person in A's position would, by industry standards, normally be authorized to make, the contract will be binding.  (i.e. if a purchasing agent for a pet store buys 300 bunnies, and the seller wasn't aware that this particular agent wasn't actually allowed to do that, the store would still have to buy the bunnies... they could maybe go after the _agent_ later, but the contract itself would typically be binding, UNLESS the third party was aware, or ought to have been aware, that A didn't actually have that authority.) 

That being said, I'm not sure how that would apply in this case, except that it would be reasonable to assume that the band's sound engineer would know one way or the other about such matters.  You HAD taken reasonable steps to obtain said permission prior to the show, too.  But, I don't think it's worth a legal battle.  :) 

Send them a copy of the CD, don't bother distributing it, and chock it up to idiocy.  Their management did a great job of trying to sound "professional" and "authoritative," but they tried too hard IMO.  Being reasonable about such things, and actually reading what you wrote, would really help them a lot. 

Disclaimer: I have no legal training per se, nor is the above intended as strict legal advice.  This is, however, what my current "Business Law" textbook claims to be the case.  :)

Offline mikeincharleston

• Look At All These Short Hairy Men...I Feel Like I'm On The Forest Moon Of Endor
  • Too Cool For School!
    • Andolini's Pizza
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2004, 11:03:31 PM »
"You have no juristiction whatsoever to offer someone elses material for sale"

did you show him that at no point in the topic did you try to sell the show, but were actually GIVING IT AWAY, just asking for postage?
"I'm not bustin' out a boat oar sober" - Scott 9/21/07

My Trade List  

Upcoming Shows/Events!!!
Phish - N. Charleston Coliseum, Charleston, SC 10/16/10 (First Show In 7.5 Years & Show #33)
The Avett Brothers - S.C. State Fair, Columbia, SC 10/20/10
Dale Waton - Broken Spoke, Austin, TX 10/27/10

Offline mikeincharleston

• Look At All These Short Hairy Men...I Feel Like I'm On The Forest Moon Of Endor
  • Too Cool For School!
    • Andolini's Pizza
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2004, 11:08:34 PM »
just a funny side story.  i went to tape groove collective at ziggy's once and explained to the band i didn't have a rig and there were no tapers (there were seriously like 20-30 people).  one of the guys in the band says it's totally cool if i get a board patch.  i turn around and their manager is behind me and says "i don't think so" and the guy in the band just kind of shrugs.  however after a little talk he let me have a patch.  so i go up to the soundguy (at ziggy's) and he said "not patch".  i tell him the band and the management said it was ok, and he says "i don't care who said what, this is my board and you get no patch".  after the show the manager asks how it worked out and i explained it to him and he got pissed and said you should have come and got me and i would have gotten him to patch you up.  when i showed up the next night at the visulite to tape again he was extremely nice to me cause he now knew i was a fan of the band and willing to drive hours to see them and not just a "bootlegger".  i got a patch at the visulite, and almost got the whole show, but wound up having battery problems.  sucks cause i thought the ziggy's show was better, but i was glad to see them.  seems like it was their last tour.  they play in nyc from time to time, but not so much anywhere else.  rant over ;)
"I'm not bustin' out a boat oar sober" - Scott 9/21/07

My Trade List  

Upcoming Shows/Events!!!
Phish - N. Charleston Coliseum, Charleston, SC 10/16/10 (First Show In 7.5 Years & Show #33)
The Avett Brothers - S.C. State Fair, Columbia, SC 10/20/10
Dale Waton - Broken Spoke, Austin, TX 10/27/10

Offline Tall Adam

• The Artist Formerly Known as GQJSP
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2004, 12:14:17 AM »

The guy who writes me doesn't give a rat's ass about turning people onto the music...and unless someone does a study that shows that trading has (or doesn't) a positive impact of official album sales/concert revenue, I doubt many people would agree.

ive got a study for you. its called phish.

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2004, 02:50:28 AM »
personally, not to sound like an asshole, but you did everything you could and were being nice about it.  they're the ones being rude.  I'd send them a copy of the show and then "lose touch" with them.

i might not give them my home address either...so no return addy on the envelope.

also, just to be polite and all, i wouldn't share the show with others, at least not on their msg boards.  its cool to be nice and to share the wealth, but when the bands mgt says no, why bother making waves.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2004, 12:17:51 PM »
Personally I would not send them anything. They will forget about it and so will you. You did absolutely nothing wrong. You made sure to get permission and got it. It'll blow over.
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

silverbullet

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2004, 05:19:40 PM »
ditto with last reply. Seems to me like they are making the waves. Don't bend over backwards to make it easier for them to screw you later on.

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2004, 06:04:04 PM »
My Buddy offered Up a few B&P's of Gregg Allman "duct tape" sessions On Emule.
He got a real nasty email about 2 days later and Then a another Formal letter/Email from Greggs "atty" demanding that he send any copys of the show he had to the Atty's address..

long story short it blew over very quickly and this was almost 2 years ago so Im guessing they blew it off.

I aggree with most folks send them a copy hell for that matter if it looks better clone the DAT or whatever media and send um a copy and say heres your master, Have a nice day.

Odd's are they will leave ya alone

Nick

AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline NewHomebrew

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2004, 02:08:44 AM »
maybe it's not the taping part but the distribution part they don't like?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com