Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA 4560 CORE Binaural Headset Or Shoulder-mounted 4060's?  (Read 2532 times)

Offline BlindGuyEars

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
DPA 4560 CORE Binaural Headset Or Shoulder-mounted 4060's?
« on: December 03, 2019, 12:05:06 PM »
First, the new product!
https://www.dpamicrophones.com/immersive/4560-core-binaural-headset-microphone

I know the binaural effect only works on headphones, but how well do such recordings produce regular stereo imaging on speakers? How would this compare to, say, a 4060 on each of my shoulders, facing forward? Which would you choose, and why?

I need to buy a pair of 4060's anyway. I no longer have any microphones, but I do own a DPA D:vice. So I'll be going D:vice > iPhone.

I'm very tempted by this. something to just wear unobtrusively in stealth situations.  I'm blind, so if asked, I could claim it's a navigational aid of some kind. 😉

The only down side I can see is having to sit absolutely still for the duration of the concert...

Thoughts?

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: DPA 4560 CORE Binaural Headset Or Shoulder-mounted 4060's?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 12:37:00 PM »
Without going too deep into stealth techniques, I'll say that I try to avoid wearing mics on my head at all costs.  I just find it too uncomfortable.  Obviously that's just me though...there are plenty of people who have made tons of recordings with head-mounted mics.

I think I read somewhere that when played back on speakers, binaural recordings can give an unnaturally wide stereo image.  I could be wrong about that...hopefully people who know more will chime in.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline EmRR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 01:05:12 PM »
I used to stealth with a pair of spaced 4060's and gave it up for mono.   It's one thing if you can really be stationary, but if you're moving and turning your head in a crowd it gets really annoying to listen to.  At least for me. 
Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN
Recorders: Zoom F8n, Sony MZ-R50

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 02:42:59 PM »
Stereo information is generated by either having a different microphone placement for each channel, a different microphone directionality for each channel, or some combination of the two. 

Baffles make omnis behave directionally.. in a way determined by the size, shape, and orientation of the baffle.  Reorient the baffle and you reorient the directionality imparted by it.  Leverage this aspect to your advantage.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 03:22:24 PM »
The general effect of head baffling is "universal" for all listeners and playback schemes and loosely analogous to a Jecklin disk, dummy head without ears, or a head-sized spherical baffle.  This is more or less synonymous with wearing mics in front or above the ears.

To make a quasi-binaural recording one needs to include the effect of the outer ears (pinna) requiring the microphones to be placed close to or inside the opening of the ear-canals (a true binaural recording samples at the location of the eardrum and thus includes the ear-canal resonance specific to the listener!).  In addition to the baffling effect imparted by the head which produces a generalized directional response that varies with frequency, the outer ear pinna imparts a far more complex directional response which varies by frequency above the midrange. 

It is that complex directional/frequency response imparted by the pinna which is both the blessing and curse of binaural recording.  Place the microphones in front or above the pina rather than inside it if the goal is to make a head-baffled (non-binaural) recording which is more universal, less personalized to a specific pina shape and less dependant on achieving an accurate binaural playback  mode.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 03:28:15 PM »
It will be helpful to know if the 4560 headset is able to place the mics in front of or above the pina rather than inside it.  If so, the topic question boils down to the more general practical/subjective taper preference for head versus shoulder mounting.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com