Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

Stereo Mic Input via USB C

(1/2) > >>

ol' dirty taper:
I'd intended to post this a week or so back, there has been a lot of recent questions about recording to your android and here is my input. A lot of these options are $25 and less.

Basically all you need is a 3.5mm Female TRS to USB C Audio Adapter, not a Headphone adapter. I own a headphone adapter and they do not work this way, even if externally they look the same. Don't buy a TRRS cable, it will not work for our intended purposes.

Some of them supposedly will support 192 kHz 24 bit, but I am not sure if they all will or not. The MOVO USB C cable only allows me to select 48 kHz and 16 bit on my android in any app I run. I am unsure if that is an Android thing/the app or cable.
The Movo Adapter
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0849RB9BT

Saramonic
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DTP7R8M/

This offbrand cable claims to do 192kHz and 24bit
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09QSQQDC8/

I'm sure you could find these for even less on AliExpress or other similar sites.

It was discussed on another thread these will give up to 3V of power output, powering some small lav mics. I personally just run a tiny battery box.

The app I am running in the screenshot is USB Audio Recorder Pro, the free version stopped working and I gave in and paid the $5 for the app. Voice Recorder seems to work just as well.

DSatz:
Any type of port has a certain maximum rate of data transfer. It might be adequate for handling a digital audio stream at a given sampling rate and bit depth that you want. But whether the host device can (or will in practice) sustain that transfer rate for the entire length of a recording that you want to make is a largely separate matter. USB has no facility for instructing the host to "give this channel all the bandwidth it needs even if other things have to wait." It just drops off the baby on the indicated doorstep and then vanishes. That's all it's designed to do. It can't (for example) retransmit samples for which the receiving device was too slow or too busy.

These things we use that weren't designed for live audio recording ... it's great when they can be bent to our purposes, but their limitations have to be found out and respected. And for each given 10 cents in the parts budget for these things, I would rather see it spent on the audible quality of the analog circuitry than on getting the thing to run at 192 kHz.

One good thing about USB-C as compared with previous iterations of USB is that it offers enough operating current for high-quality analog circuitry. Again, though, "could be" doesn't equal "is", except in a part of our brains that takes over sometimes at just the most unfortunate moments ...

ol' dirty taper:
That makes sense. I'd probably never run this live, but I don't doubt the s20 could handle it.

My post was more in reply to several made recently, one in the retail space claiming to be the only USB C audio option and at least one where someone was asking for a cable like this to start learning to tape.

jielkade:
Try the Field Recorder APP.

jielkade:
And what is about the Rode AI-Micro ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version