Gear / Technical Help > Post-Processing, Computer / Streaming / Internet Devices & Related Activity

32bit in Reaper question

(1/2) > >>

Twenty8:
I use a MixPre 6ii.  I record 32bit float/48kHz.  I bring the polywav file into Reaper.  I explode the polywav to multi-track... and away we go on processing.

My question is:
Do I need to apply dither to my renders?  I am rendering to 24bit/48kHz wav to later make flac in TLH.  Do I just need to apply dither if I make an additional 16bit/44.1kHz copy?

jadedphan:
i always dither, rather than just let the software save or convert while saving ....

Twenty8:
I don't think I ever noticed that after I explode the polywav in Reaper, the tracks are still 32 bit.  How I did not know this was native behavior is an oversight, even after 6 months of taping shows with it.

My thinking was dithering was always for rendering kHz rate and not about bit rate so I have only dithered when moving from 48kHz to 44.1kHz when making a "lite" copy for some of my friends' bands.

aaronji:
It is my understanding that, when reducing bit depth, best practice is to dither to reduce distortion due to quantization error. I don't know whether it is strictly necessary, but it is easy to do, so why not?

goodcooker:

--- Quote from: Twenty8 on May 23, 2023, 08:59:54 AM ---I don't think I ever noticed that after I explode the polywav in Reaper, the tracks are still 32 bit.  How I did not know this was native behavior is an oversight, even after 6 months of taping shows with it.

My thinking was dithering was always for rendering kHz rate and not about bit rate so I have only dithered when moving from 48kHz to 44.1kHz when making a "lite" copy for some of my friends' bands.

--- End quote ---

The terms typically used for these two different processes are -

dither - changing bit rate
sample rate conversion - changing sample rate

Here's a good non technical article from Izotope on what these processes are and when they should be used - https://www.izotope.com/en/learn/what-is-dithering-in-audio.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version