Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

Blumlein

(1/5) > >>

Tim:
Okay so one of my u89s came with a schock mount that I can screw the mic down to very securely. Perfect for suspending a mic upside down for Blumlein or M/S!

Now this is a dumb question but do you need to decode Blumlein like you would with M/S? Logically I would say yes but I want to make sure.

Obviously I can decode on my computer but what about mixing down blumlein on the fly using a V2 or other preamp with an m/s circuit?

goose:
Logically to me, you would not need to decode, as you cannot adjust blumlein like you can m/s.  It is just xy with a different polar pattern selected - to me.

I do not have direct knowledge, just saying that my logic says differently.   ???

goose

goose:
and there you have it...thanks mike

still want to come up and tape with you sometime - have you seen the consort lately?

Tim:
Thanks guys... I was picturing the orientation wrong... more like a m/s witha rear lobe... "+" if you will as oppossed to an x/y style setup "x" if you will.

I have only listened to a few blumlein recordings and the definitely lack bass... I'll just have to pick my spots carefully.

Glad to know I've got this option though!

Tim:
I'm only thinking of using it for acoustic music or on-stage jazz recordings right now.

If by chance I'm in a pa taping situation where I can run u89s blumlein FOB I'll give it a try for sure  8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version