Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: R500 use with mics  (Read 3266 times)

Offline hoyt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://www.the-hoyts.com
R500 use with mics
« on: January 26, 2004, 04:46:42 PM »
Any stories on what mics you've run straight into the Sony R500?  My father just hooked up his shitty ass old AKG D1000Es to it and got almost no sound through.  I convinced him long ago that he needed new mics, but I don't think he believed me until now.   :)

Thanks for the advice,

--hoyt
dpa4028/4023/4011er > sx-m2d2/ sx-r4+

Offline goose

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Re:R500 use with mics
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2004, 05:12:05 PM »
hoyt, i don't think a sony r500 dat deck can take a mic level signal and give good levels.  I don't think which mic you use matters - you won't get much of a signal.  The mic level needs to be boosted to line level (preamp or transformers) in order to get correct levels.  R500s are right out home (so to speak) hooked to a soundboard, which puts out a line level.

That's the way I see it - maybe I am missing something?  Does it have mic inputs?  I didn't think it did.  
« Last Edit: January 26, 2004, 05:15:14 PM by goose »

Offline hoyt

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2004, 05:38:45 PM »
hoyt, i don't think a sony r500 dat deck can take a mic level signal and give good levels.  I don't think which mic you use matters - you won't get much of a signal.  The mic level needs to be boosted to line level (preamp or transformers) in order to get correct levels.  R500s are right out home (so to speak) hooked to a soundboard, which puts out a line level.

That's the way I see it - maybe I am missing something?  Does it have mic inputs?  I didn't think it did.  

Hmm, I don't know.  He's in Charlotte, and I'm in KC so I can't actually see the unit.  I assumed that it would be able to take the mic level signal, but maybe it's just a line in.  That would really stink, I don't know if he's going to like me when I tell him he needs a preamp too :)

--hoyt

Offline goose

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2004, 05:43:51 PM »
you would think it could take mic level because it has xlr connectors on the back - but those are what studio machines have for analog connectors (rather than, or in addition to, RCA connectors) and AES digital connectors - so, easy mistake

Offline hoyt

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2004, 06:01:46 PM »
you would think it could take mic level because it has xlr connectors on the back - but those are what studio machines have for analog connectors (rather than, or in addition to, RCA connectors) and AES digital connectors - so, easy mistake

Yeah, that's just what I assumed.  Guess I'll be looking into line transformers for him now.  Thanks for the suggestions +t!

--hoyt

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2004, 11:19:42 PM »
Any stories on what mics you've run straight into the Sony R500?  My father just hooked up his shitty ass old AKG D1000Es to it and got almost no sound through.  I convinced him long ago that he needed new mics, but I don't think he believed me until now.   :)

Thanks for the advice,

--hoyt

hoyt, i believe the balanced analog inputs on the R500 is a standard +4dB level input.  you won't get that type of output from a low impedence mic.  he's going to need a preamp for sure.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2004, 12:08:07 AM »
ok we need to go back a few steps here.  something that really needs to be clarified on this board and i dont think has really been laid out- the difference between line level and mic level.  mic level is what the mic picks up with no gain whatsoever, and line level is what you get when gain is applied.

think of it this way- think about a 1" pipe.  when water flows through at its own pace it is at mic level.  when you start to apply pressure and force you are adding gain- bringing it up to line level.  Now in terms of clipping think about adding too much force and standing with your face kinda close to the end of the pipe.  you dont want to add too much pressure or else you will get hit in the eye with water.

OK, sorry for the diatribe, but its something that I felt needed to be explained on here somewhere.

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2004, 12:19:54 AM »
no doubt, being the son of a plumber I can appreciate the analogy :)

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2004, 11:26:33 AM »
If those mics being used don't need phantom power then you will definitely be needing a unit that will provide adequate levels into the R500.  If it is a dynamic type mic or a condenser mic that has a battery for power, you may be able to get away with it.  If not, do what was mentioned already and go for a pre-amp or something to "boost" the signal.
Phil
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com