Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-5  (Read 29970 times)

Offline mhlsr

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
Tascam DR-5
« on: February 18, 2011, 12:10:20 PM »

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Tascam DR-5
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 12:17:25 PM »
So how many DR's do they have out now. It seems like every time I turn around they have a new one. does look interesting

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 03:40:08 PM »
So how many DR's do they have out now. It seems like every time I turn around they have a new one. does look interesting

They got a bundle of different recorders, and none of them are too great for concert recording IME (DR-680 being the exception).

They keep coming out with recorders and I keep looking into them them wondering if they have a good, small, 2ch option.  The DR-5 takes a max ext/line input of -4dbV, which is consistent with most of their products it seems (can't remember, maybe outside the DR6880 some models take something like a max of +2dbu ??).

My Sony D50 can take a +24dbu signal, and I think the M10 is similar.  At -4dbV max input, the DR-5 is only suitable for going mic-in when doing concert recordings (and maybe not even then).  Pretty much no way you could put a preamp in front of it.

Too bad, I wish Tascam would expand their line of recorders that can take a hot signal, which is pretty much only the DR680 I think.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 08:06:08 PM »
The DR-05 seems to be the successor to the DR-07, with a few improvements in specs, and for a lot less cash. 

Tascam describes the DR-05 as providing "premium sound."  The built-in mic design is reportedly all new.  The electronics are new, too. 

It will be interesting to see if the DR-05's preamp is an improvement over the DR-1, DR-2d and DR-07, which are mediocre performers.

Tascam certainly has the under-$200 (street price) range covered.  Models include

DR-03 ($80) and DR-08 ($125)
The most compact recorders, two AAA cells

DR-05 ($99), DR-07 (discontinued, $99)
mid size, two AA cells

DR-1 (discontinued, $150), GT-R1 ($195), DR-2d ($195)
standard size, AA cells

Offline TimeBandit

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 04:08:38 AM »
interesting:

A new pair of built-in microphones withstands up to 125dB SPL

But this one looks good to be the follow up of the DR-07. the DR-08 is smaller but not easy to handle (for me, too small buttons)

Hold Button not the same as power switch, also good. and the mic/ line input has now a really better position then on the DR-07.

But the position for the strap is really rubbish, it´s on the down side - if using the internals for recording (and if they really do that SPL i really like to test them). I loved the yamaha pocketrak CX - or now the W24 (same chassis) for that.  Just put the necklace through the mic protection cage and wear it under the shirt, perfect if stealthing was needed!

« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 04:22:38 AM by TimeBandit »
2015 rig: CA-11 -> CA-9100 -> PCM-M10
2016 rig: Sony PCM-M10 + SP-SPSB-4 microphone plug-in power supply +  SP-CMC8 with Low Sens mod
[backup: CA-9100 - Tascam DR-05 Firmware 2.0 + Yamaha Pocketrak W24]
video 2016: Casio EX-100 HS (same as Olympus Stylus1 - but much smaller - japan import not availiable in EU)

Offline sunjan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 03:47:51 PM »
One new feature that makes the DR-05 easy to operate is the new Peak Reduction feature. This setting automatically sets your recording level by listening to the input and adjusting for the best level. Unlike Auto Gain settings, this one only goes down to prevent accidental distortion after a period of low level like a break. Peak Recording works in rehearsal mode or in record, so if the performance is louder than the soundcheck you’re still safe.

IIUC, this is like Safety Clip on rockbox. Definitely a good feature if it works the same way,
Best spent $99 for any newbie taper, if it performs up to specs.

More detailed description in the manual, p 50-51 (unfortunatey copy-protected, can't paste any text here):
http://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/558/e_dr-05_om_va.pdf

Initial street price in the UK £99:
http://www.imuso.co.uk/Studio/Recorders/19958-/Tascam-DR-05-Linear-PCM-Recorder
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 04:48:52 PM by sunjan »
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline flintstone

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 06:31:41 PM »
In USA, Sound Professionals is showing a $149 MSRP and $100 sale price
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/TAS-DR-05

As delivered, the DR-05 includes a MicroSD card, but I can't find information that says how big its capacity is.  I'm thinking 1 GB, but a 2GB card would cost Tascam maybe $1 more (given the quantity they must purchase).

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 06:33:20 PM »
In USA, Sound Professionals is showing a $149 MSRP and $100 sale price
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/TAS-DR-05

As delivered, the DR-05 includes a MicroSD card, but I can't find information that says how big its capacity is.  I'm thinking 1 GB, but a 2GB card would cost Tascam maybe $1 more (given the quantity they must purchase).

I know they were giving away 2GB cards with the DR-07 when I got mine

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 08:30:48 AM »
Sound Professionals is showing a 2GB card included.

It can run on USB power. I wonder if an ordinary USB to AC adapter will work.

http://www.amazon.com/USB-AC-MP3-Players-White/dp/B000A2BLEC
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline soundpro

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 09:18:08 PM »
Hello:

2GB is correct. Also worth mentioning is much longer battery life with this new recorder - 17.5 hours with CD quality recording.

Lastly, I'm not going to post an advertizement here, but we are running a TS member only special on the retail forum.

They are arriving next week.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Best Regards,

Chris Carfagno
sales@soundprofessionals.com
www.soundprofessionals.com
The Sound Professionals, Inc.
3444 Sylon Blvd
Hainesport NJ, 08036
800-213-3021
609-267-4400
609-267-0054 fax

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 08:09:14 AM »
It can run on USB power. I wonder if an ordinary USB to AC adapter will work.

http://www.amazon.com/USB-AC-MP3-Players-White/dp/B000A2BLEC

I'll answer my own question -- it will:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?item=SP-USB-POWER

That's handy.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline Federico78

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 04:51:27 PM »
This is my first topic in this interesting forum.

I'm a pianist / keyboardist who wants to buy a handheld recorder and has been listening/reading pretty much everything in the internet to make the right choice.

This Tascam DR-05 is pretty tempting but I'd like to hear some records made by it before taking any decision.

My big concern is that all this audio quality claimed how is it possible to stay in 99 bucks? Strange...

I'm considering also Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H1, H2, H4n but I'm going a little bit OT...

I really hope to hear some demos by someone who'll buy the DR-05!

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 05:47:55 PM »
Welcome!
My big concern is that all this audio quality claimed how is it possible to stay in 99 bucks?
Economies of scale, simply!
I was just as amazed about the great value for money offered when the M10 was launched, or the R-09HR before that, or even the Iriver back in the days.

Well, someone always have to take the first plunge. The first sources usually surface within a month or two after they start shipping, if you're willing to stick around and wait. Otherwise, go ahead and be the guinea pig! I'm sure the resale value is decent, at least until the next successor is announced.  ;D
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline Federico78

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 06:26:31 PM »
Welcome!

Thanks!

I'm sure the resale value is decent, at least until the next successor is announced.  ;D

No please! I want to deal as less as possible with craigslist!  ;D

Well, if the audio quality of the internal mics will be comparable to PCM M10....

I'm also struggling with myself to understand if for my use (record some of my stuff at acoustic piano and live concert recording) the money to buy a PCM D50 is justified or not...

Offline johnnyrockstar

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »
Hey all-

Just picked up the DR-05.... I've been using the DR-07 for quite awhile and have been happy with it for the most part.   The cheesy plastic power button broke, however, so I replaced with the DR-05 which seems to be an upgrade in terms of the buttons and controls.

Does anyone know what unity gain is on this recorder?   The input gain control is now part of the digital controls and no longer located on the outside of the recorder.  It adjusts digitally from 0 to 99.   Wondering where I should start when I record with my Church Audio CA'14s.

Anyone?!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com