Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-40 - new 4-track  (Read 23755 times)

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
TASCAM DR-40 - new 4-track
« on: September 16, 2011, 10:11:02 AM »
Another new contender in the handheld digital 4-track recorder market:

http://tascam.com/product/dr-40/
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: TASCAM DR-40 - new 4-track
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 10:15:05 AM »
Maximum Input Level
-3dBV (MIC) / +20dBu (LINE)

Not bad...

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »
Unfortunately, only one mic/line-in, i.e., have to use built-in mics for second pair of tracks.

But only $199.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005N3ME4O/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=pixacomcom-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399373&creativeASIN=B005N3ME4O
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 10:22:09 AM by Dogmusic »
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 11:10:37 AM »
Only 3 AA cell internal battery.  Tascam claims 15 hours battery life, but not while providing 48V phantom power to mics.

Also announced, the BP-6AA, an external battery that holds (you guessed it) six AAs. 

Flintstone

stevetoney

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 11:17:38 AM »
How loudly does this community have to yell before these guys will hear us...

DIGITAL SPDIF INPUTS on a reliable low cost handheld pu-LEEZE!!!

Offline carpa

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 12:55:36 PM »
So it has balanced line in /mic inputs. But does it provide any phantom power?

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 01:24:15 PM »
So it has balanced line in /mic inputs. But does it provide any phantom power?

"A pair of great-sounding TASCAM microphone preamps welcome condenser microphones with phantom power"
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

Offline mandoman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 02:39:08 PM »
Wow, first Roland, now Tascam. Cool! I really like the 'dual record' feature on my dr-2d, where another file can be recorded at lower volume. It is nice to see that carried over. Also nice to see the battery life improved over it's predecessor. It also looks like you can monitor and adjust input gain on all 4-channels on the fly, something you couldn't do on the older unit. I think Tascam is listening!

I wonder how good those internal cards will be? Probably not great in a $199 handheld. It would be really cool if those internal mics could be modded to something better, than you'd have the ultimate all in one.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 02:47:58 PM by mandoman »

Offline refrain

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 06:41:57 PM »
First Roland and now Tascam, both look like Zoom's H4n features set, the Tascam even looks very similar with better built materials (at least it looks that way)... 4 tracks (the roland has 2 extra omnis), XLR+internals or pip externals, is this a trend?
And when it was released the H4n was some how, a copy of the D50 with XLR 48v... Who's next? Edirol stopped, now that Roland assumed the market, Olympus? they like to built small, way too small... perhaps Fostex? they never entered this market... or even Marantz...
I would like to hear noise preamps comparisons on this 2 new decks... once they hit the market... even internal mics, because for me, this decks are all about all in one recorder, for using the internals plus a extra pair whenever is required... not to go around with 4 external mics...

One thing, Tascam has covered every possible angle on this market... they have almost 10 recorders, very similar, a big mess... it's like saying we've invented home recording 30 years ago, but we slept during the last 10, but now we're back on track... let's flood it...
Mics: 2x Oktava MK-012 Card (XY, ORTF), AT BP4025 (STEREO XY), Fel Clippy (omni stereo XLR pair - UK), Immersive Sound Earsights (omni stereo XLR pair - FR), Sony ECM 55B (Lav), 2x JrF Piezo and Hydrophone (UK), Lom Geophone (SLOV), Organic Audio Piezo/hydrophone (IT), DIY piezo mics
Audio Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6, Zoom H5
Assorted audio acessories: Motu Ultralite MKIII, Echofire2 interface, Mackie 802 VLZ3 mixer, Rycote BBG, Sennheiser hd25
Audio Monitors: Yamaha HS7, Yamaha MSP5

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 07:42:43 PM »
First Roland and now Tascam, both look like Zoom's H4n features set

Is it just me that has a hard time qualifying any of these units as 4-track.   ::)  Who really wants this feature set.

Don't mean to be a downer but geez, why don't manufactures actually deliver some true 4-track units like the Edirol now Roland R4/R44 & Sound Devices 744.  Tascam's got their DR 680 too but that's more than 4-track.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 07:47:24 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 08:12:25 PM »
$199??  That's ridiculous, assuming it works as well as it looks.  Given the phantom inputs and the rest of the feature set, doesn't this make the M10 look a bit expensive now?  Or, for that matter, the H2N (same price)?

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 09:36:36 PM »
Unfortunately, only one mic/line-in, i.e., have to use built-in mics for second pair of tracks.

But only $199.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005N3ME4O/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=pixacomcom-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399373&creativeASIN=B005N3ME4O

The inability to do line and external mic makes the dr-2d a better choice for most of us. I really like that recorder and wonder why more people aren't running it.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 10:32:08 AM »

x2

If the dr40 could be used with line in and xlr in AND control individually 4 channels, I'd be happy too.
 It seems like the manufacturers know what they are doing but why can't they release something just a little be above the current products.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline DavidNJ

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 11:07:48 AM »
Wow, first Roland, now Tascam. Cool! I really like the 'dual record' feature on my dr-2d, where another file can be recorded at lower volume. It is nice to see that carried over. Also nice to see the battery life improved over it's predecessor. It also looks like you can monitor and adjust input gain on all 4-channels on the fly, something you couldn't do on the older unit. I think Tascam is listening!

I wonder how good those internal cards will be? Probably not great in a $199 handheld. It would be really cool if those internal mics could be modded to something better, than you'd have the ultimate all in one.

Except that the Roland is $499, can be used as a USB interface, and probably has a few more features and probably better preamps.

However, at $200 the DR40 will redefine that part of the market, especially for videographers. You can have the unit on camera using its mics (in a DSLR shoe) and still have two lavs connected.

Now...if they had an HDMI recorder for $400...

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 05:46:56 PM »
and probably has a few more features

6 tracks

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 02:29:32 PM »
Only 3 AA cell internal battery.  Tascam claims 15 hours battery life, but not while providing 48V phantom power to mics.
Also announced, the BP-6AA, an external battery that holds (you guessed it) six AAs. 

My guess is that P48 draw will zapp the internals in less than 120 minutes.
The selling point of an all-in-one with phantom XLR would be the freedom from carrying extra boxes. If I'd need to buy/carry external power, there's nothing unique about it.
How about an all-in-one with a 2x9V battery bay, or a custom high-voltage li-ion battery (like the tinybox)?  8)
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2011, 05:37:41 PM »
How about an all-in-one with..  a custom high-voltage li-ion battery (like the tinybox)?  8)

The Microtracker and Korg do.

With all the gear that runs various multiples of 2 AAs, some one should manufacture a 3V(nomional) LI-ion that is packaged into an envelope the size of two AAs connected side by side, along one edge.  It's housing would look slightly figure-8ish viewed end on, so that it would slip into standard AA battery holders which often have short partial wall dividers between cells but rarely have completely seperated cell compartments. In addition to the standard LI-ion voltage regulation circuitry, it would need some sort of internal switching to automatically sense the short at one end of the pack and switch to using the terminals on the other end when inserted into the device.   Besides getting enough power density, that 'short sense circuit' is the only challenging part, but it's a feature that would make it safe, short-proof and user friendly.  Use two for devices that take 4AAs, 3 for 6AAs, etc.  Pop them out and recharge.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2011, 09:28:50 PM »
also no 88.2 kHz recording. This seems silly to me.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2011, 10:55:08 PM »
Man tapers are a hard bunch to please.  :P

The microtrack comes out and everyone complains that it doesn't use AA batteries that are universal and field replaceable.  Now people see them in this Tascam and want an internal Li-ion solution.  Lots and lots of handhelds use only 1/8" inputs and people complain that they want a locking XLR input.  This one comes out, and nobody is interested.  People complain about poor battery life or low max input (this one has 15 hour battery life and takes 20dbV) and again, no love.

This probably isn't a recorder I'm interested in, but I would think it might fit the bill as a 2ch recorder, at least for some.  It takes a hot signal, has XLR inputs, and good battery life.  Most people don't seem quite satisfied with a handheld as an all-in-one solution, but if you want it for that, it'll do it.

As to battery life as an all-in-one, they say 15 hour battery life, presumably that is without phantom, so say it draws about 200mA. It uses 3x AA batteries, so considering that and a reasonably efficient DC-DC converter to get up to 48v, phantom power for a couple of condenser mics might add another 150ma or so -- all told, this should provide 6-8 hours of use even with phantom on.

For what we do, I think the DR2d is better as a 4ch recorder, but for a 2ch recorder, this seems like a good option, especially for the people who feel they are more comfortable with a recorder that offers locking XLR inputs.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline mandoman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2011, 05:58:06 PM »
Man tapers are a hard bunch to please.  :P
And Dead Head tapers are even harder to please ;D

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2011, 10:24:01 PM »
If it gets better battery life than the 100, then I think it will do ok.  The 100 is the only loser they've had in the last 5 years.  The 40 is almost a re-do, but with 4 channels. 

That said, Tascam should have added spdif to the 40.  The technology is not foreign to them, for the 2 channel P2 has been out since '05.  Makes no sense to me.  More I think about it, I bet the Ipad will get spdif before Tascam's handhelds.  Tascam's new product strategy is that pathetic.    ::)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 10:25:37 PM by spyder9 »

Offline cd2go

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Strictly Slambovian
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2011, 03:54:23 PM »
all told, this should provide 6-8 hours of use even with phantom on.

I agree, but probably below 6 hours depending on mics and battery type. I have tested my Marantz PMD-661 (4 AAs) with both Energizer "Advanced" and "Ultimate" Lithium batteries and got just over 7 & 8 hours respectively @ 24/48 while running phantom with my DPA 4022 mics. I would be curious what the stock pres sound like for $200...

-james

Offline Nick's Picks

• I thought I heard.......
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2011, 06:33:35 PM »
as parts become better and cheaper every year, eventually someone will make one of these things that is on the quality line of the Sony D1...but for $199.

If the preamps on this were nothing special, but clean...i'd be content.

Offline Cheesecadet

• Trade Count: (21)
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2011, 01:35:54 PM »

Hallelujah to that!
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:
Fluance RT83 Reference > MCS 3230 Receiver > Realistic MC-500's (NOS)

Upcoming:
05/04 Harry Mack (?)
05/10 Adam Bodine Quartet
06/07 Bill Frisell Trio
06/08 Common
06/19 Sensational Barnes Brothers
06/20 Adam Bodine Quintet
07/19 Chali 2na & Cut Chemist
07/30 Tomorrows Bad Seeds

Offline Nigel Tufnel

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2011, 06:30:37 PM »

My guess is that P48 draw will zapp the internals in less than 120 minutes.
The selling point of an all-in-one with phantom XLR would be the freedom from carrying extra boxes. If I'd need to buy/carry external power, there's nothing unique about it.
How about an all-in-one with a 2x9V battery bay, or a custom high-voltage li-ion battery (like the tinybox)?  8)

When I got my DR-40 I did a test with the internal AA batteries.  Continuous run time recording with the P48 turned on was 3 hours 15 minutes. Honestly I was surprised it lasted as long as it did.  Was expecting about 2 hours.

Offline easyed

• Taperssection Member
  • get your Jam in the Can
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2011, 01:00:37 PM »

But only $199.

The Sony PCM-M10 can be had for $229 from an authorized dealer if you shop.  I love mine.

Built in mics (on the Tascam or virtually any other of these hand held recorders) are not good for audience recording, but only for recording practice in your living room, or spoken word, or discussions around a conference table.

Built in mics?  It's like ordering a $100 dish at a fancy restaurant and thinking you've gotten a deal because it comes with a free side dish of dog turd.
Beyerdynamic CK-930s > Naiant Tinybox or Littlebox > Sony PCM-M10 or
DPA 4061's > Core Sound Battery Box > Sony PCM-M10 or
matrix: Sound Devices 744T or
multitracking: Audient ASP008 preamps > JoeCo Blackbox BBR1B

Offline hoppedup

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Sa da tay!
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2011, 01:25:43 PM »
Got a soundpro email today that says you can get this for $149.99 with instant $50 gift card. It says today only.

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/TAS-DR-40

AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2012, 09:16:55 PM »
OK, I've bought one as a secondary recorder. No way it will replace my beloved R-44 but I wanted XLR with P48 and 1/4 TRS inputs for various setups I have at times. We'll see how it works out but at $170 shipped, I can't argue too much unless it is total crap. The dual level recording is interesting depending on how decent the internal mics are.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2012, 05:30:35 AM »
When I got my DR-40 I did a test with the internal AA batteries.  Continuous run time recording with the P48 turned on was 3 hours 15 minutes. Honestly I was surprised it lasted as long as it did.  Was expecting about 2 hours.

What mics were you using when you did that test?

OK, I've bought one as a secondary recorder. No way it will replace my beloved R-44 but I wanted XLR with P48 and 1/4 TRS inputs for various setups I have at times. We'll see how it works out but at $170 shipped, I can't argue too much unless it is total crap. The dual level recording is interesting depending on how decent the internal mics are.

Any thoughts on the sound?  Build quality? 

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2012, 08:43:57 AM »

Any thoughts on the sound?  Build quality?

It hasn't been delivered yet. Its somewhere between San Diego and Tallahassee. I expect it to show up sometime next week. The one I saw in the field seemed to be built well. I'll probably get the battery sled and remote later on.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2012, 03:51:09 PM »
^^^ I didn't realize it wasn't in your possession as of yet.  I'm curious to hear your thoughts, though, once you get your hands on it and have a chance to take a test drive...

Offline Nigel Tufnel

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2012, 08:13:02 PM »

What mics were you using when you did that test?

My initial test was with AT853 powered with P48 driving the 8531 power module.  Since then I've had the opportunity to run Busman BSC-2s for 2:40 with plenty of batteries left.

Offline Nick's Picks

• I thought I heard.......
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2012, 08:05:55 AM »
impressive.

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2012, 03:04:23 PM »
Well, I'm amazed that the recorder showed up yesterday, I wasn't expecting it until next week. I haven't had time to absorb the manual yet but a few things right off. Its plastic of course but seems well built, the XLRs are Neutrik for example. The only weak spot I see is the mics but the pivot is solid feeling. I took it to the club with me last night and I accidentally did a stress test right off as it vibrated off where I had is stashed and fell about three feet to concrete. I can't even find a scuff mark. I guess another stress test was the shipping because the package was torn up when I got it.

Most of the normal settings are intuitive enough but I did have to dig into the manual to set up the dual record function. I ran just the internal mics in X-Y back in the audience area. I haven't woken up enough to deal with it yet but a quick listen with headphones last night didn't sound all that bad but not great. How much of that had to do with the mics and how much had to do with placement I can't say yet. I'll try to get a friend's recording from a nearby location as a comparison, he was running CA-14 cards>CA-9100>R-09. My other recording was matrix of my ADK-tl's at stage lip and a full matrix of each individual channel of the main console mixed down to stereo on the fly on my own board.

This may have shown up at the perfect time as one of the channels of my R-44 started acting up last night. It may have to go in for repairs as I need it ready for festival season. I can't complain, it has logged hundreds of shows now in all sorts of conditions.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2012, 04:52:25 PM »
Here's a song from last night recorded on the DR-40, Internal mics, X-Y, placed on a shelf behind the bar approx. centered with the stage, recorded at 48kHz/24 bit, dithered down to 44.1/16 but no other changes: http://yodaslai.ipower.com/bradfordvilleblues/media/TASCAM_0002S12.wav

Sorry, at 12 minutes its kind of big but I'm posting it for someone else for other reasons (friggin' hot guitar!). The mix was a bit tinny to start with but hopefully this will give you some idea about the mics.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline jbou

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2012, 05:00:26 PM »
Does anyone know if the DR-40 has different preamps than the DR-100mkII? I figure it would because of the price difference. I guess I am trying to figure out how these two products differ (besides the "4 track" capabilities on the DR-40) when they were released pretty much at the same time

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2012, 12:54:15 PM »
Does anyone remember a couple of years ago someone hacked a Zoom H2 by disconnecting the internal mics and adding external connections so it became a real 4 channel recorder?  I'd like to see that happen here.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline Nigel Tufnel

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2012, 01:16:37 PM »
Does anyone remember a couple of years ago someone hacked a Zoom H2 by disconnecting the internal mics and adding external connections so it became a real 4 channel recorder?  I'd like to see that happen here.

I would love to see that hack for the dr-40.

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2012, 01:57:56 PM »
There's a YouTube video of the H2 hack. Chris Church looked into modding the H2 for four external mics and decided it wasn't worth it. The plan Chris was going to use sounded much more elegant than the gross hack you see on YouTube.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2012, 01:25:49 AM »
I would pick the DR2D over this just for the mere fact you can actually do 4 channels on the DR2D. Not to mention its almost $100 cheaper than this sucka :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2012, 12:32:22 PM »
I would pick the DR2D over this just for the mere fact you can actually do 4 channels on the DR2D. Not to mention its almost $100 cheaper than this sucka :)

It all depends on what you are looking for. The DR2D is cool and I may end up with sooner or later but the DR-40 gave me XLR connections and phantom power plus 1/4 TRS for my regular board connection.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline Nigel Tufnel

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2012, 01:03:38 PM »

It all depends on what you are looking for. The DR2D is cool and I may end up with sooner or later but the DR-40 gave me XLR connections and phantom power plus 1/4 TRS for my regular board connection.

Yup.  Balanced and rugged XLR connection, 1/4 TRS and phantom were all reasons I picked the '40. I picked up mine for 150, so the price difference wasn't a factor. Plus, I really don't trust mini-jacks.

Offline mhlsr

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2012, 07:27:43 PM »
Just got mine yesterday, did battery test today. AT897's into deck, no phantom power got 8 hours strait with Maxell alkaline's that came with deck.

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2012, 09:30:46 PM »
I've run mine the last three nights using a cheap cell phone charger for an AC power supply. It worked fine and didn't cost me the $40 or whatever Tascam wants for theirs. Now I need to find a rechargeable battery that puts out USB power. I know they make them but haven't shopped for one yet.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2012, 10:07:56 PM »
I've run mine the last three nights using a cheap cell phone charger for an AC power supply. It worked fine and didn't cost me the $40 or whatever Tascam wants for theirs. Now I need to find a rechargeable battery that puts out USB power. I know they make them but haven't shopped for one yet.

Walter, just get one of these.  I used it for the Tascam DR-1 to charge it's battery on the fly.  Perfect for Wanee.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AA-Battery-USB-Emergency-Backup-Power-and-Charger-Pack-/330673357722?pt=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item4cfdab039a#ht_5607wt_1396

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2012, 10:08:50 PM »
Now I need to find a rechargeable battery that puts out USB power.

I've been using this to power my Sound Devices USBPre2, and it works pretty well.

http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-XP4001-Universal-Rechargeable-Power/dp/B0029U2WUA

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2012, 07:33:54 PM »

Walter, just get one of these.  I used it for the Tascam DR-1 to charge it's battery on the fly.  Perfect for Wanee.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AA-Battery-USB-Emergency-Backup-Power-and-Charger-Pack-/330673357722?pt=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item4cfdab039a#ht_5607wt_1396

Noted and I may get one or two as emergency backups but I was thinking more along the lines of one of the DVD batteries but with a USB power output.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2012, 07:39:15 PM »
Now I need to find a rechargeable battery that puts out USB power.

I've been using this to power my Sound Devices USBPre2, and it works pretty well.

http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-XP4001-Universal-Rechargeable-Power/dp/B0029U2WUA

That's the idea! Thanks
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2012, 08:30:23 PM »
So I've skimmed the thread and didn't find an answer.  Can you run this line in on the XLR's and line in on the 1/8 input??  Also can you adjust the levels on the XLRs and 1/8 input when recordering.  I'm going to buy a Dr 2d, but wondered if this would work better for 4 channel.  TIA
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline cd2go

• Taperssection Member
    • Strictly Slambovian
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2012, 09:43:32 PM »
Can you run this line in on the XLR's and line in on the 1/8 input??

This deck's only inputs are via the XLR & 1/4" combo jack so the only way to run 4 channels is using the internal mics for 2 of them. If you want 2 external sources the DR-2D is your machine.

Offline seanay

• Taperssection Regular
    • Archive Recordings
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2012, 12:33:27 PM »
Just getting into taping, and I'm considering picking up one of these machines.  I'll be running a pair of Nak 100's into the XLR inputs; the Naks will run on 9v batteries, so shouldn't need to fuss with phantom power in the meantime.  Not really concerned about running anything more than two-channel at present.

Will this deck be fairly quality?
"Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us."

- Jerry Garcia

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2012, 11:14:25 AM »
I've only run mine with line-in so far but plan on using it with mics this weekend.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline Jonmac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2012, 12:11:53 PM »
I'm very happy with mine, I mainly run line in, but I occasionally use it with a pair of Behringer C2 cardioids on phantom power, and get about 5 hours use.

Get yourself some good re-chargable batteries, preferably the hybrid type, Eneloop, Hybrio etc, and you'll get a good long battery life when not using phantom power.

Jon
Zoom H1, Zoom H2, Zoom H6, Tascam DR-40, Tascam Dr-05, Homebrew mic's, C2 Cardioids

Offline seanay

• Taperssection Regular
    • Archive Recordings
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2012, 02:06:11 PM »
I'm probably going to pick up a Tekkeon portable battery to run with it; that way, I can have hours of continuous power.

Thanks for the help!
"Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us."

- Jerry Garcia

Offline Jonmac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2012, 07:56:26 PM »
I get over 13 hours with a set of freshly charged Eneloops when recording without phantom power, and about 5 hours with a pair of Behringer C2's with phantom power on.
Zoom H1, Zoom H2, Zoom H6, Tascam DR-40, Tascam Dr-05, Homebrew mic's, C2 Cardioids

Offline cd2go

• Taperssection Member
    • Strictly Slambovian
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2012, 08:50:46 PM »
I got my hands on one of these to play around with and maybe use as a backup. I did a few quick noise comparisons versus my Oade Concert Mod Marantz PMD-661. Not sure how scientific this is but here's what I did to find the "real world" noise floor of each deck. I recorded four, 10-second clips from each deck with nothing connected to the input:

1) Line with input at 0
2) Line with input at max
3) Mic w/ Phantom with input at 0
4) Mic w/ Phantom with input at max

I then opened up the clips and analyzed them for RMS signal. Results are rounded to the nearest dB:

661/DR-40

1) -73/-84
2) -73/-80
3) -73/-84
4) -53/-48

From this it looks like the Tascam takes the modded 661 for everything except Mic w/ Phantom at max gain  :o  Listening back to the clips via headphones confirmed the numbers. In fact the background hiss is just as bad as the 661 at full gain, just a different type of "sizzle". I would say that this deck certainly for Line-in purposes and even Mic w/ Phantom (for louder sources anyway) can't be beat for the price. Not sure how the ADC compares though...

-james

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.203 seconds with 80 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com