Gear / Technical Help > Battery Boxes, Preamps, Mixers, ADCs, and Processors

Zoom F3 abd batteries

<< < (3/3)

goodcooker:

--- Quote from: aaronji on April 04, 2024, 03:38:55 PM ---DSatz had some relatively recent comments with respect to phantom voltage in the Team thread.

--- End quote ---

His recommendation to only use phantom powering at 48 volts for peak performance isn't wrong nor is his claim that the decreased 3 dB of headroom in an "underpowered" scenario is an acceptable loss for every user. However, anecdotal evidence from myself, others in our user base and the documentation from Schoeps own website provide data that you can absolutely run certain models of Schoeps mics with less than 48 volts of power with acceptable results. Dsatz is a bit of a "by the book" kind of guy and while very knowledgeable (I once found him mentioned in a Grammy awarded list of mastering engineers on a classical music collection - I'm not casting aspersions but the fact remains that tapers are doing things differently than many other recordists) I'm not sure he understands some of the mission specific things this niche community does.

breakonthru:

--- Quote from: aaronji on April 04, 2024, 08:30:30 AM ---Those are rechargeable lithium batteries, not primary cell lithiums...

--- End quote ---
ah, makes sense. Time you squeeze the required electronics in there they end up with the same capacity of the cheaper/safer nimh. The only advantage they seem to offer is a slightly higher voltage and flatter discharge curve which may or may not be useful. Mixpre/fp24 is an example of gear where 1.2V cells won’t cut it.

breakonthru:
CMRs are ~30-32V at the capsule and the same when powered at 5V as they are at 10V

The reason I wouldn’t run schoeps at 24 V is that cmc6 and cmc1 switch based on input voltage

24V is (way) out of spec to either their published acceptable range for either 48v or 12v

I do know they are expensive to fix so I don’t like to experiment. I’ve never actually seen a mic that wants 24 V despite it being an option on all of the F seriss

fanofjam:

--- Quote from: breakonthru on April 04, 2024, 06:15:44 PM --- I’ve never actually seen a mic that wants 24 V despite it being an option on all of the F seriss

--- End quote ---

There are plenty of mics out there that spec at the range between 12 - 48v.  I just went to AT's website and pulled a couple mics specs and the second mic I pulled up was the AT2050 and it specs 11 - 52V.  Line Audio CM3 specs 12 - 52V, while CM4 is 12 - 48V.   So 24v will work fine with all of those.  I'm not going to argue the Schoeps point anymore other than to say that I have absolutely no problem running mine at 24v and will do so with my Zoom F3 if I'm using internal batteries only, since this thread has shown that it extends battery run time significantly.

commongrounder:

--- Quote from: grawk on April 04, 2024, 11:40:07 AM ---I’m just guessing here but i think he was saying use something like the eneloops instead of the rechargeable lithium AAs. At that size the 1.5v lithiums are inefficient. If you have a device that can make use of 3.7v lithium cells you may see an advantage but it’d have to be designed for that.
--- Quote from: goodcooker on April 04, 2024, 10:38:54 AM ---
--- Quote from: commongrounder on April 04, 2024, 09:16:22 AM ---Something I find annoying is the manufacturers of the rechargeable lithium-ion AA batteries have chosen to use a different measurement of capacity, milli-WATT-hour instead of milli-AMP-hour used in other types. This has the effect, on quick glance, of making them appear to have higher capacity, when in reality it translates to lower milli-amp-hours (at least for now, until power density catches up). The rechargeable lithium AAs are forced to devote a chunk of internal space to the protection/charging/dc-dc converter circuitry. At this point I don’t find any compelling reason to use them in my recorders.

--- End quote ---

A sense of responsibility and avoiding single use disposable items is enough incentive for me - but we all have our own priorities. Cost is another factor. I have some Eneloop AAs that I've been recharging for years without issue.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
Yes, grawk, you understood correctly, thanks. I was not clear that I use NIMH rechargeable cells almost exclusively. I only use lithium *primary* cells in my Sony PCM-M10 because it has such ridiculously low power consumption they last almost forever.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version