Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MicroTrack 24/96 Beta 1.2.0  (Read 47478 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: MicroTrack 24/96 Beta 1.2.0
« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2005, 05:51:30 PM »
not good info at all nick

The person responding to emails probably isn't the decision maker about what does or does not make it into the next release.  And the next release's content probably isn't even planned yet, or if planned doubtfully finalized, so it's not surprising they're providing generic, non-committal replies at this time.  Calling it "not good info at all" is an overreaction, IMO.  But that's okay, we're accustomed to your naysaying, Bean.  :P
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2005, 06:08:19 PM »

The person responding to emails probably isn't the decision maker about what does or does not make it into the next release.  And the next release's content probably isn't even planned yet, or if planned doubtfully finalized, so it's not surprising they're providing generic, non-committal replies at this time.  Calling it "not good info at all" is an overreaction, IMO.  But that's okay, we're accustomed to your naysaying, Bean.  :P

I knew you'd jump in on that

why the hell do you look at every comment i make as nasty ??? nick said they didnt have a future frimware planned for the 2gb limit, id say all day:

THATS NOT GOOD NEWS

and why is someone who doenst know whats going on w/ the product even reply ???

fuck ya'll, im done saying anything at all in these threads, hope that makes your toy purchase worth it in your minds :P
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2005, 06:31:46 PM »
Calm down Beavis...

;)
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2005, 06:43:10 PM »
Nick, M1 doesn't do 24 bit so I guess you mean for 16 bit recordings you like the M1 A/D better. Does the MT dither down to 16 bits? If so, I would think that's an advantage over the M1.

Glad to hear the MT does 24/96 line in no prob.

Exactly. At 16 bit I *slightly* prefer the M1, but obviously having 24 bit capability gives the advantage to the Microtrack.

Hmm, just checked m-audio's website and given the S/N ratio of 98 dB, seems like running 24 bit analog in on the MT offers almost no advantage to 16 bit.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_gb/MicroTrack2496-focus.html

Sorry for straying off topic...
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 06:44:42 PM by BC »
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2005, 06:45:16 PM »
Nick, M1 doesn't do 24 bit so I guess you mean for 16 bit recordings you like the M1 A/D better. Does the MT dither down to 16 bits? If so, I would think that's an advantage over the M1.

Exactly. At 16 bit I *slightly* prefer the M1, but obviously having 24 bit capability gives the advantage to the Microtrack.

Hmm, just checked m-audio's website and given the S/N ratio of 98 dB, seems like running 24 bit analog in on the MT offers almost no advantage to 16 bit.

By "advantage" I simply meant the ability to run 24 bit was an advantage...

Good find though.
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2005, 07:04:36 PM »
I ran my MT with 1.2.0 firmware last night and things went well.  I recorded at 16/44.1, fed via SPDIF from my UA-5,  onto a 2GB compact flash card.  The meters worked fine the whole night.  No lockups.  The time available timers works fine also.  The only problem I had was that the show ran 30 seconds longer than what I had storage for.  Since I had DAT and JB3 running also I thought it would be a good test to see how it handled full media.  It briefly flashed that the media was full and stopped recording and it also saved everything up to the point that the media filled up.  About the only flaw in the full media case was that it appears to have left a "tmp" directory on the card.  It should clean up after itself but it didn't hurt anything.  The meters still need some kind of scale or at the very least a mark for -12db.  I would still be concerned trying to set levels base on their meters.  I guess they are better than the level meters on the UA-5  :-)

"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2005, 07:09:47 PM »
And the next release's content probably isn't even planned yet, or if planned doubtfully finalized, so it's not surprising they're providing generic, non-committal replies at this time.

They owe the people who purchased the product on GOOD FAITH a date on when they expect to have this, and other major omissions/bugs, resolved.

My understanding of a law is that there is an implied warranty of merchantability on the product. When they sell you a product and it is later revealed to be beta and missing features that were advertised, they have violated that warranty. We now wait in good faith for them to resolve the issues.  If they do not resolve the issues, they will have to issue refunds.

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #82 on: November 28, 2005, 08:09:14 PM »

why the hell do you look at every comment i make as nasty ??? nick said they didnt have a future frimware planned for the 2gb limit, id say all day:

THATS NOT GOOD NEWS

fuck ya'll, im done saying anything at all in these threads, hope that makes your toy purchase worth it in your minds :P

What Nick received was a reply from Technical Support, meaning people paid very little to answer emails from a script.  The fact that they said they'd pass it along to the driver developers is GOOD news, not bad news.
And the next release's content probably isn't even planned yet, or if planned doubtfully finalized, so it's not surprising they're providing generic, non-committal replies at this time.

They owe the people who purchased the product on GOOD FAITH a date on when they expect to have this, and other major omissions/bugs, resolved.

My understanding of a law is that there is an implied warranty of merchantability on the product. When they sell you a product and it is later revealed to be beta and missing features that were advertised, they have violated that warranty. We now wait in good faith for them to resolve the issues.  If they do not resolve the issues, they will have to issue refunds.

If this is all about the 2 gig limit you really need to relax.  There were never any advertisements regarding the way the MT would handle files over 2 gigs. 

And how is the MT a beta???  The new *firmware* is a beta, but you can run the 1.0 firmware and not have a beta product - it's up to you.
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #83 on: November 28, 2005, 08:45:56 PM »

why the hell do you look at every comment i make as nasty ???

Not nasty, just negative - you repeatedly chime in with Negative Ned comments on the MT2496.  I simply attempt to offset your perception (someone with a very bleak opinion of the MT who's never actually run one) with that of my own (someone with a relatively more practical and realistic opinion who actually runs one).

nick said they didnt have a future frimware planned for the 2gb limit, id say all day:

THATS NOT GOOD NEWS

John Kelly already addressed this one.

Suit yourself.  It was obviously worth it in my mind, since it does everything I need it to at the moment.  And obviously worth it in others' minds since they're still using it.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline udovdh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #84 on: November 28, 2005, 11:32:11 PM »
If this is all about the 2 gig limit you really need to relax.  There were never any advertisements regarding the way the MT would handle files over 2 gigs. 
Not implementing a 2GB fix is a common problem on not so professional recorders.
If M-Audio is serious they will implement a solution. It is not trivial but ot so hard either to implement.

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #85 on: November 28, 2005, 11:51:59 PM »
Not implementing a 2GB fix is a common problem on not so professional recorders.
If M-Audio is serious they will implement a solution. It is not trivial but ot so hard either to implement.

And they have said on numerous occasions that they're working on it.
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline svenkid

• Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2005, 12:01:59 AM »
I run my mt on the 1.5 firmware 16/44.1 spdif, and Im loving it, but havnt been able to run it alone, I still need the dat tape rolling just to let my nerves stable out :)
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #87 on: November 29, 2005, 02:05:28 AM »
:grouphug:
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #88 on: November 29, 2005, 02:06:26 AM »

Sorry for straying off topic...

Is this true?  Intriguing...  Would you elaborate the reasoning?  Is it because you'd just be getting more bits of noise?
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #89 on: November 29, 2005, 02:23:21 AM »
And they have said on numerous occasions that they're working on it.
Maybe it is taking a bit long for this essential feauture to be implemented.
For a 24/96 device it is nothing more but logical to support auto-open after 2GB has been recorded.
Concerts run easily over 1 hour.
Calling firmware 'beta' may indicate a lack of internal testing capabilities. I don't mind that since it can keep the price low. On the other hand feedback should be responded to, especially in this case, and I guess the 2GB issue has been raised often enough, but maybe we need to mention i even more?

After the 2GB there is a lot of other things people might want, e.g. support for the limiter that is available in the ADC...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 02:25:05 AM by udovdh »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com