Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MicroTrack 24/96 Beta 1.2.3  (Read 43617 times)

Offline alienbobz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: MicroTrack 24/96 Beta 1.2.3
« Reply #165 on: March 03, 2006, 09:46:48 AM »
I was running 16/44 with ADV "on".

I'm not too familiar with the UA-5, but I thought that with the ADV switch "on" sets it to output 24 bit, and ADV "off" sets it to 16 bit. (someone please correct me if I'm wrong)  however, even if you told the MicroTrack to record at 16 bit and were sending it a 24 bit signal, it would just truncate the signal and the recording would still be listenable, not constant static.  my guess is still a loose coax connection...

Yeah ADV "on" is 24, off is 16. I should of told you that earlier :P. No clue what the static problem is.
-Out of the game for a bit, probably forever-

Audio Setup:
Apogee Mini-MP
Zoom H6

Video Setup:
Canon Vixia HF G20
Rode NTG-2
Azden SGM-1X

Misc:
Behringer C-2s, Marshall MXL 1006BPs, Naiant MSH-1s

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #166 on: March 03, 2006, 09:56:05 AM »
sorry for the hijack, but does anyone know what kind of usb cable the microtracker uses? to clarify, i mean the end that connects to the microtrack. it isnt a mini-usb connector, more like an interface a camera would use. i think the jb3 uses the same connector (?).

anyone have a technical term for the connector, or a lead on where i can score one? thanks
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #167 on: March 03, 2006, 10:02:08 AM »
it is a mini-usb interface..  just like you mentioned, it is just like the end that you'd hook up to a digi camera...
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline frankho

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #168 on: March 03, 2006, 10:18:34 AM »
It's standard 5 pin mini-B usb connector. There're standard type A, B, mini-A, mini-B, and some digicam and mobile phone use proprietary connector.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 10:21:27 AM by frankho »

Offline Chris K

« Reply #169 on: March 03, 2006, 10:56:47 AM »
thanks. yes, it appears to be a mini-b connector

and to get back on topic (sort-of), I am still using firmware version 1.2.0 with zero problems. havent felt like i needed to upgrade to 1.2.3 yet...if it aint broke.... ;)

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline Chris K

« Reply #170 on: March 03, 2006, 11:19:17 AM »
in wavelab, at the very bottom right hand corner is an information line. it should say Stereo 24 bit and then it should say 48 000 Hz, if it doesnt, just right click on the 88 200, and a dialog box will pop up allowing you to change it to 48 0000. it should play fine there-after, unless of course you really recorded at a higher sample rate (like 96kHz), but you will then need to save the file at the propert sample rate. to do that: file > save as > click the attributes rectagle which is under the file type and should say WAV (PCM)/Stereo/88200 Hz (or the files current sample rate)/24bit > change sample rate dropdown > OK.

good luck

-Elvis Presley

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #171 on: March 03, 2006, 11:26:11 AM »

Yeh...mine was not a short burst.  It was Poltergeist in a little box.

Did you record a bit from the coax out and then listen back to hear this static?  Or did you simply hear static while monitoring the headphone out during recording?  The MT does not support monitoring of a digi-coax feed, only monitoring of analog in feeds.  So if it was the latter, the coax input was probably working fine.  Just thought it was worth double-checking, since I'm not clear on where you heard this static.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline jcrab66

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #172 on: March 03, 2006, 03:30:37 PM »
So I ran the MT for the first time last night, and had a mixed experience.  My initial set up was:

2xKM184s + 2AKG480/omni > Berringer mixer > UA-5 tmod+ > coax out > MT (4gb Sandisk Ultra II)

When I attempted to record, everything ran, but the only sound that stored on the WAV files sounded like FM static, or rather, the static on your TV when you turn the cable off.  I was running 16/44 with ADV "on".  I also have a 5V USB battery sled that I had plugged in to the MT.

Since I was not able to sound check, I had to make a fast adjustment.  I have custom 2x 1/4" -> 1/8" from Leegeddy, so ran UA-5 1/4" out, to the 1/8" in on the MT.  Everything worked stellar at this point:

- No channel swapping
     - No static
     - No problems with the NAV wheel
     - No issues AT ALL.
     - Ran 3 hours without the battery meter even moving

First, anybody have a clue as to the static issue?  I didn't have time to mess with it as I didn't want to miss any of the show, so I went 1/8" in, but that's not optimal.

Secondly, the USB in on the MT is incredibly close to the coax.  Anyone found a coax that will allow you to plug both the coax AND the mini-USB in?  I used a Hosa coax, and even tried unscrewing the barrel of the RCA, but the connection was still not tight.

Lastly, when I loaded the 4gb card, and set the bit rate to 16 (and adjusted the UA-5 to 44.1), set input to coax, the display told me I had a total of 3 hours, with track maxes of 1:28.  Yet, when I ran 1/8" in, the recording time displayed 6+ hours of time, with over 3 hours per track.  I read that the older firmware versions had issues with the clock and recording time, but I'm running 1.2.3.  WTF?  Never mind...I'm assuming the machine just thinks 96khz.

Otherwise, this machine is going to be a dream.  I'm assuming I was just a lameass and missed something obvious re: the coax.  From there, it was all gravy.  Now I really want the 744 though!  ???

sounds like your microtrack is the same as mine, wont take a digi in, doesnt matter the bit rate or sample rate or whether its out of the back of my ua5 or my dvd player. Its always Poltergiest in a box. Strictly analog in for me with mine not that i  mind since i dont stealth with a portable A/D. I use the HDP2 for those applications where I can run my Pre...
mk4's / mk41's > nbox > Microtracker / HDP2

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
« Reply #173 on: March 03, 2006, 03:45:00 PM »

Yeh...mine was not a short burst.  It was Poltergeist in a little box.

Did you record a bit from the coax out and then listen back to hear this static?  Or did you simply hear static while monitoring the headphone out during recording?  The MT does not support monitoring of a digi-coax feed, only monitoring of analog in feeds.  So if it was the latter, the coax input was probably working fine.  Just thought it was worth double-checking, since I'm not clear on where you heard this static.
Crap...it could have been that, Todd.  honestly?  I don't remember whether it was noise via me monitoring it, or whether I tested it back.  Shit...I must be getting old if I can't remember.  So good advice.  I'll be running again tonight and tomorrow so I'll test again.
mike
Socks are overrated.

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #174 on: March 03, 2006, 03:53:27 PM »

I'm not too familiar with the UA-5, but I thought that with the ADV switch "on" sets it to output 24 bit, and ADV "off" sets it to 16 bit. (someone please correct me if I'm wrong)  however, even if you told the MicroTrack to record at 16 bit and were sending it a 24 bit signal, it would just truncate the signal and the recording would still be listenable, not constant static.  my guess is still a loose coax connection...

Yeah ADV "on" is 24, off is 16. I should of told you that earlier :P. No clue what the static problem is.

Shit I thought ADV was for 96kHz not for 24 bit.  That's another thing I screwed up last night.

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #175 on: March 03, 2006, 04:01:28 PM »

Shit I thought ADV was for 96kHz not for 24 bit.  That's another thing I screwed up last night.

16/96  8)
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline paulcargill

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #176 on: March 04, 2006, 05:57:41 PM »
Hey everybody!
 New Firmware out Today 03 March! Version 1.3.3 : 2 gig fixed (but not seamless recording) Mono recording enabled (but with stereo monitoring) and a few fixes..

Cheers

Paul

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #177 on: April 16, 2006, 12:00:38 AM »
Tonight I recorded a concert using 1.2.3 . (I return back to 1.2.3. after having problems with 1.3.3). I was using my V3 set at 48kHz sending the signal to my MT via the coax cable. My MT was set at 24bit. The first half was fine but the second half of the concert sounded strange. It sounded faster and the pitch was much higher (like you were fast forwarding while playback). When I open the wav file in sound forge 8 I found that the file was not 48 kHz but 88.2 kHz! (V3 was not even set at 88.2). Has anyone experience this problem? I tried to resample it to 48 kHz but it still sounds strange because the total time of the second half is compacted so everything sounds faster even if I change the sample rate. Can someone tell me how to get back to the original speed of the recording after re-sampling back to 48 kHz? How do I know if the recording is the correct speed if I am not perfect pitch?

(I do not know why the recording sample rate and speed of the music changed).
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline coloartist

• Trade Count: (13)
  • MGoldey -"you can shove those mics up your ass
« Reply #178 on: April 16, 2006, 09:09:03 AM »
This happened to me once.

I think I had formatted the card at 16 bit, but I'm not positive.

I could never figure out how to slow it down.

It made a great recording for the Chipmunks.  ::)

Run a backup.
mk4>Kwon/din a/din>kc5>cmc6>kindkables XLR>788T
mk22>Kwon/NOS>kc5>cmc6>kindkablesXLR>788t                                                     
Canon XH-A1 Sony AX100                       
Samsung Backlit LED 55">Pioneer Elite SC-27>Snell Acoustics E.5  Series

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #179 on: April 16, 2006, 12:55:16 PM »
Can someone tell me how to get back to the original speed of the recording after re-sampling back to 48 kHz?

Try splitting the file at the precise point where the sample rate seems to change.

Save the first half of the file as 24/48.  This should sound perfectly normal since you're not changing anything for this part of the file.

Save the 2nd half to a separate file, also at 24/48.  It may or may not still sound too fast.  If it does sound too fast, try changing the file's sample rate to 88.2.  Note:  you're not actually resampling, but simply changing the WAV header's sample rate setting.  (In Audition/CEP, it's called Adjust Sample Rate instead of Convert Sample Type - the former does what I'm suggesting, the latter actually resamples.  Different software will do this differently, but most should support this capability.)  If setting the 2nd half file to 24/88.2 works, then you'll want to actually resample back down to 24/48.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com