Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09  (Read 50201 times)

Offline scoper

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Edirol R-09
« on: January 19, 2006, 11:19:36 AM »
Just found this page at SoundProfessionals:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/ED-R-09

Looks like Edirol is coming out with a product to compete with the MicroTrack

From the page:

Introducing the latest addition to Edirol's red-hot portable recorder lineup: the R-09. Building on the success of the R-1, the R-09 takes many of the most desired features — 24-bit uncompressed recording and a built-in stereo mic — and shrinks it all down into a more streamlined, stylish, and affordable package.

* 24-bit/48kHz (or 44.1kHz) uncompressed recording
    * Up to 320kbps MP3 playback and recording
    * Records to SD card (64MB card included)
    * High-grade stereo condenser microphone built in
    * Mic and Line audio inputs; USB I/O
    * Easy operation, user-friendly graphic display
    * Ultra portable, half the size of the R-1
    * Long battery life

More Info

Crystal-Clear Capture
It’s ultra small and looks like a gadget, but make no mistake — the R-09 is a serious, top-quality professional recorder with time-stamp capability. Capture source material at a crystal-clean 24-bit resolution with your choice of 44.1 or 48kHz sample rates. Record and play back in MP3 format as well (up to 320kbps). Once recorded, files can be monitored through the R-09’s headphone jack and/or exported to a computer via USB.

Microphone Included
To record audio into the R-09, there’s no extra gear to buy or no cables to connect. A quality stereo microphone is built right into the unit, complete with a dedicated input control, mono/stereo selector, low-cut filter, and gain boost. Just point and record! The R-09 also offers a mic input.

Sweetening
The R-09 is more affordable than its predecessor, the R-1. One reason the R-1 carries a heavier price tag is because of its well-stocked lineup of internal effects. The R-09 isn’t devoid of effects, however. It contains the world’s most-requested/desired effect: reverb. Whether you’re listening to WAV or MP3 files, you can route the R-09’s playback through its internal reverb processor, immersing it in lush, user-controllable ambience.

More Than Music
The R-09 is perfect for recording live music events, recitals, and rehearsals. It’s also handy as a songwriter’s sketchpad, ensuring that no moment of inspiration is lost. But the R-09 has many valuable uses outside of the music world as well. Students can use it to record lectures. Broadcasters and journalists can throw away their antiquated cassette recorders and use the R-09 for in-the-field interviews — the audio-capturing applications are endless.
AT853U cardioid (low sens mod)| Countryman B3 Omni (low sens mod) > CA-UGLY II > Sony PCM-M10

Former: Sony MiniDisc/JB3/MicroTrack/R-09HR

Offline neutrino

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
Re: Edirol R-09
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 11:29:30 AM »

Here we go again...
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 11:37:49 AM »
http://www.edirol.net/products/en/R-09/

It's important to note that there is a digital output, but NOT a digital input.

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 12:04:41 PM »
If this thing had digital in, it would kill off the Microtrack, and would be a sweeping success.   R1 has been a solid box for many here.  But, "gasp",  neither have digi-in.   :-\

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 12:07:34 PM »
usb in

would it take the digisignal that way from a ua5..?

doubt it, but it might be possible...
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 12:22:27 PM »
Looks like it takes SD cards, not flash.  That's my show-stopper right there. End of story.

No mention of support for > 2GB.

I like that it takes AA.

i'm sure that means just what it means in the r1 documentation:  you can use larger cards, it just won't write more than 2gb in any given session. 

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2006, 12:24:01 PM »
Looks like it takes SD cards, not flash.  That's my show-stopper right there. End of story.

No mention of support for > 2GB.

I like that it takes AA.

What are SD cards?   Smartmedia?

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2006, 12:27:53 PM »
Secure Digital.

just another flavor of compact flash.

blackmikito

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2006, 12:33:00 PM »
From the photo gallery on the edirol page those switches on the back of the unit look like an obvious nod to the M-1, as well as the D100 style record/play/cue buttons on the front. Looks like Edirol has moved this unit closer to the Pro-Audio market(and thereby the Taper Market) instead of the Guitar musician's market (what with the effects heavy R-1).  Of course, still no digi-in.  I assume the reason even Edirol hasn't solved this is because it would ruin the price point. Otherwise, who knows.
Unit is gonna run on SD instead of flash, which should equal the same media card cost (maybe a little cheaper).  However, that's one more type of media to start using.
They're listing the mics as "high-grade", not sure if that has solved the noise issues with the R-1's mics (although they are very decent mics on their own).
Still running on batteries, which is great news.  
The inputs are on the top of the unit instead of coming out the bottom like the MT or coming off the side like the R-1. Personally, I see that as a minor ergonomic plus.  You really could slip this one in your shirt pocket and be able to glance down at the screen to check levels.

I really don't think the USB is possible for digi-in, because from the picture you have to have the battery door open to access it. Besides any issue of it even being possible to go digi-in on USB, the batteries would be falling out.  Doesn't seem at all likely that they would have designed it that way.
Still listing the card maximum at 2GB instead of 4, which I assume hints that the file splitting option is still a no go.  However, since they did eventually start listing that the R-1 could accept 4GB, I wonder if this unit will have a strict 2GB limit.

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2006, 12:36:03 PM »
Thanks sleepypedro.  I just looked them up on eBay.  These cards seem to sell a little cheaper than Compact Flash.  Anybody?

blackmikito

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2006, 12:38:56 PM »
By the way, anyone going to NAMM this weekend?
I'm sure this will be in the Edirol booth.
Perhaps we can load someone up with questions to grill the reps with... ;)

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2006, 12:43:18 PM »
Honestly, I don't think the lack of the digi-in is a big deal for me. I run the R-1 now and it's internal ADC is fabulous.. I would assume this won't change with the R-09. To me, however, this unit provides no major upgrades to the R-1 other than being smaller, and being able to do 48khz sample rate (which isn't a big deal to me). Having to use SD cards is sort of a pain, and I don't even know if you can get 4gb SD cards yet.... anyone?

EDIT: now I see that you can easily get 4gb SD's... well that's not a huge problem then. but for those of us already owning R-1's, I'm not sure if it would be worth it to move to this unit.

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2006, 12:43:30 PM »

It would nice if someone brought a pair of mics and a preamp and gave it a test run, right there in the booth.  No that would be the move.   :)

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2006, 12:44:46 PM »
Honestly, I don't think the lack of the digi-in is a big deal for me. I run the R-1 now and it's internal ADC is fabulous.. I would assume this won't change with the R-09. To me, however, this unit provides no major upgrades to the R-1 other than being smaller, and being able to do 48khz sample rate (which isn't a big deal to me). Having to use SD cards is sort of a pain, and I don't even know if you can get 4gb SD cards yet.... anyone?

Yes, the 4gb SDs are on eBay for just under $200.00

blackmikito

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2006, 12:45:53 PM »

It would nice if someone brought a pair of mics and a preamp and gave it a test run, right there in the booth.  No that would be the move.   :)

Great idea.  However, if anyone does try this, you'll have to stealth in because NAMM is strict about no outside product being brought into the show.

EDIT: That is, you'd have to stealth the gear INTO the show. The Exhibitors are usually cool about letting you interface with their gear if you've already got it inside already.  Just be sure to also stealth your gear out of the show too. They will stop you and you may run into some serious problems of theft accusation.
Unless of course this thing is under glass like the MT was at some of the trade shows, and then it's a moot point even trying.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 12:51:17 PM by blackmikito »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.107 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com