Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DIY VU meters for any source ...  (Read 38036 times)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
Re:DIY VU meters for any source ...
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2004, 11:28:23 PM »
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2004, 03:44:00 PM »
KDTU went very well last night, the svu-2 worked wonderfully.  I feel my ballance and soundstage were better than I have ever done due to this unit.  I highly recomend it!

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline kev B

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • mmm, taping!
« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2004, 08:40:11 PM »
mmmmatt, thanks for all you research and tips. I think I am going to go the same route. I wish the SVU-1 didn't have that camera foot because I am not a headphone guy. Any rate, the SVU-2 is a more universal unit. To bad GuysGraphics won't put it on ebay for less than $100  ;)  +T for tips and new toys
Oktava MC012 > digi-mod UA-5 > JB3 > SVU-1

Team Philly, Team Oktava, Team SVU-x

Offline ChrisV

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Proud member of team 'Lux!
    • My Taping Webpage
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2004, 09:07:08 PM »
Being the cheapskate I am I went ahead and just ordered 2 different VU Meter kits from Hobbytron.  Both of them are the 10 led ones.  They are the single column ones, not really worried with having both left and right levels...just want something to beat the single crappy light on the UA-5 ;p

Gonna see what I can put together and which of the 2 is better.
http://taping.4t.com
http://db.etree.org/CV
Superlux CM-H8K/C/H/O -> digimod UA-5 -> JB3

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2004, 09:29:39 PM »
mmmmatt, thanks for all you research and tips. I think I am going to go the same route. I wish the SVU-1 didn't have that camera foot because I am not a headphone guy. Any rate, the SVU-2 is a more universal unit. To bad GuysGraphics won't put it on ebay for less than $100  ;)  +T for tips and new toys

2 screws to get rid of the foot mount.  i took mine off before i even used it the first time.  I too am not a headphone person
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline kgreener

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2004, 10:44:25 PM »
Any problems for y'all running the SVU-1 vertically vs. the SVU-2 horizontally?  (i.e. the LED's run either up/down or left-to-right, respectively)  I'm not a headphone guy either, but noticed the difference between the two and went horizontal as I felt it will fit better in my Rakgear on one of the shelves.

Placed an order with Guy Graphics yesterday...now that I'll have the headphone option I just might use it after all.  Thanks for the legwork Matt, I'd +T ya if I could!

peace,
Keith

Offline mirth

• Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2004, 12:02:25 AM »
Any problems for y'all running the SVU-1 vertically vs. the SVU-2 horizontally?  (i.e. the LED's run either up/down or left-to-right, respectively)  I'm not a headphone guy either, but noticed the difference between the two and went horizontal as I felt it will fit better in my Rakgear on one of the shelves.

Why not just run the SVU-1 on its side? Its what I plan on doing.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline kgreener

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2004, 07:41:32 AM »
Good point Mirth, but my plan was to use the existing mount on the SVU-2 to fasten it to the shelf in my Rakgear.  I was looking at it in terms of the mount that came with the unit, that's all.

peace

Offline Sterling

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2004, 09:45:57 AM »
Hey ChrisV, what ones did you get? Did you get tehm assembled or not? Got any pics? Thanks, I'm tinkng of going that route too, I like a challenge and I love lights  ;D.
SS

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2004, 01:03:52 PM »
To bad GuysGraphics won't put it on ebay for less than $100  ;)  

When I originally contacted guy graphics I told them that if this unit worked out well, he would be selling more, and he should give me a deal since I was the official guinee pig.  He said at $125 he was only making $10, so If I do see this on e-bay for $100... I'm gonna be bent!
     Glad to see my info helped!  As for the headphone thing, I mess with my mics during the opening band or house pa music to tweak the placement by ear.  I actually raise and lower my stand, turn left and right, and even sometimes even move my stand forward or back looking for that often elusive "sweet spot".  If you guys have another way to do that I would love to know.  I don't know that I would ever feel comfortable without using my ears.  +T's to all you guys as well!!!

Matt

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2004, 01:29:45 PM »
I run mine on it's side from a 2 foot rca.  Once i set my levels i zip up the bag and the svu-1 is the only thing outside of the bag
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline mirth

• Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2004, 01:32:34 PM »
Hey Matt, since we live so close to each other would it be possible to borrow sometime so I can give it a test? I don't have anything coming that I know of in the near future, but of course thats subject to change....

LMK, I'm a kenoshan in exile.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline ChrisV

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Proud member of team 'Lux!
    • My Taping Webpage
« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2004, 02:57:05 PM »
Hey ChrisV, what ones did you get? Did you get tehm assembled or not? Got any pics? Thanks, I'm tinkng of going that route too, I like a challenge and I love lights  ;D.
SS

Well one of them had the option for fully assembled for only 5 bucks more($20 compared to $15) so I grabbed that one.   The other one didn't have the option to buy fully assembled(I emailed them asking if at all possible I could get a fully assembled one but haven't heard back).   Hopefully they will sell me one but if not I get to take a crack at assembling the kit ;p

Just placed the order yesterday so I'll let you know when I receive 'em and try some things out.  My goal is to get them to run off of 9V batteries(rechargeables) and hopefully they'll have a low enough consumption in dot mode those will last long enough.

Here are the links to the 2 I ordered:
http://www.hobbytron.net/vk4304.html
http://www.hobbytron.net/CK134.html
http://taping.4t.com
http://db.etree.org/CV
Superlux CM-H8K/C/H/O -> digimod UA-5 -> JB3

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2004, 08:16:33 PM »
Hey Matt, since we live so close to each other would it be possible to borrow sometime so I can give it a test? I don't have anything coming that I know of in the near future, but of course thats subject to change....

LMK, I'm a kenoshan in exile.
No question Mirth... just let me know when.

Matt

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2004, 08:56:40 PM »
To bad GuysGraphics won't put it on ebay for less than $100  ;)  

When I originally contacted guy graphics I told them that if this unit worked out well, he would be selling more, and he should give me a deal since I was the official guinee pig.  He said at $125 he was only making $10, so If I do see this on e-bay for $100... I'm gonna be bent!

He has them on ebay buy it now 79 bucks. Starting bid 69
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com